Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

neuropathy of the legs?

Posted In: Medical Stories 2 Replies
  • Posted By: lisashomeoffice
  • March 13, 2009
  • 11:22 AM

I am new to your forum and would like to get an opinion from those of you who have leg conditions. I started having weakness in my legs a few years ago, and now it has gotten worse. I have a hard time with stairs, getting on and off of buses, and other thing that puts pressure on my legs. I am accident prone and have to be careful since it is very easy to trip or fall. My legs do not feel painful, except one time when it was real COLD and I almost fell trying to get on a bus. Other than that I really don't have any pain. I haven't gotten a medical diagnosis yet. I do have an appt. next month with my doctor, so I will find out then. Do any of you with this type of a problem get treatment for this, and if you do what type of treatment do you get (physical therapy, medicine, etc.) I am not trying to diagnose myself;however, I am just trying to see if my problems match up with those of some of you.

Lisa

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• I am new to your forum and would like to get an opinion from those of you who have leg conditions. I started having weakness in my legs a few years ago, and now it has gotten worse. I have a hard time with stairs, getting on and off of buses, and other thing that puts pressure on my legs. I am accident prone and have to be careful since it is very easy to trip or fall. My legs do not feel painful, except one time when it was real COLD and I almost fell trying to get on a bus. Other than that I really don't have any pain. I haven't gotten a medical diagnosis yet. I do have an appt. next month with my doctor, so I will find out then. Do any of you with this type of a problem get treatment for this, and if you do what type of treatment do you get (physical therapy, medicine, etc.) I am not trying to diagnose myself;however, I am just trying to see if my problems match up with those of some of you. Lisa I am sure you will hear from others on this forum, but I just want to make sure you get your B12 levels tested and that you ask for the specific number once tested. B12 can cause these symptoms, and is often overlooked by docs. How is your urination? Any other issues like low back pain? Any known injuries or accidents? Do you have numbness as well as the weakness? Are you overweight? Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for your response. I have no idea what my B12 is like, I'll have to ask my dr. about this. Frequent urination, yes;however, I am 60 yrs. old and that comes with agee. Back pain, but I've had scoliosis all of my life too. Overweight yes, I am working on it. I lost about 40 lbs last year and have been doing good at keeping off.I need to lose about 50-60 #I have been epileptic since I was 3 yrs. old. Since some medicines can be responsible for neuropathy, it is possible that it could that, too.I'm just scared that it might not be controllable and I might end up in a wheelchair if it progresses. Walking on a flat surface is no problem;however, climbing up stairs, and inclines like walking uphill really takes it's toll on my legs. I was in San Francisco last week, where there are nothing but hills, and I had to take small breaks to regain my leg strength. I also have problems with balance. I am real accident prone. I exercise on a cross country skier type of exercisor, and have for about 15 years now, and you would think that that would strengthen my legs, but is doesn't. Lisa
    lisashomeoffice 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement