Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

Am I depressed? I dont want to worry my parents about it.

Posted In: Mental conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: CortneyMarie
  • March 11, 2009
  • 02:20 AM

My name is Cortney. I think I might be depressed. I'm only fifteen, so maybe its just "all in my head"? I was in some therapy when I was little; First grade to sixth (My mom thought I may have been depressed because of the sudden separation between her and my father). I haven't gone through much, but at the end of sixth grade my step-mother died in my home, and that is when i had started cutting. Don't ask me why I actually did it, because I dont even know myself but it was honestly addicting. I cut without my parents noticing until the 9th grade. My mother still doesn't know, but I lashed out at my dad one day and in the process, told him about my secret. I have not cut for a year and a half, and I thought I was doing good. Recently (August) I had an appendectomy, which went fine, but also developed Anemia. I cannot seem to feel hungry anymore, I am forced to eat at least once at home as I do not eat at school. I have trouble sleeping at night (I sleep during school) and have frequent anxiety attacks. I have "random" moods, from happy to sad to very angry. School is a big part of my life, as I have straight A's and am top of my class, even though I do take short naps when I am through with my work. I cannot pay attention in class most of the time (I dont even know how I'm get my A's) and I keep to myself sometimes. My mother used to pressure me into getting these grades, but its more of me doing that to myself. I seem to get sick more than I should. I've had CAT scans and MRI's but they do not find anything wrong besides my blood low in iron.

So, am I depressed? And if I am, is it serious enough to where I should bother my parents about it? I dont feel like I should bother them about something that would possibly go away.

Note: Oh, I almost forgot. When I stopped cutting, I hid my hunting knife. I found it today. It gave me a really big rush, like I should cut immediately to make up for lost time. I haven't cut just yet, but I liked the old feeling, the adrenaline. That was my wake up call; that's why I came here.

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• Courtney... There are a number of things that could be causing you to feel like you do. One of them is depression, but there are a number of other things such as hypothyroidism and other endocrine diseases. I think you need to tell your mom that you don't feel well. If you don't want to tell her about the cutting then don't. Tell her what you can and then leave the rest for the doctor. Please do not be afraid to talk to an adult about your problems. That is the only way you are going to find help, and the sooner the better. I hope you were able to resist the rush of cutting yourself. It isn't the answer to your problems. Try to find something that gives you pleasure and focus on that instead. I wish you the very best... ((( hugs )))
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi Cortney. You're not clinically depressed. Depressed people rarely get straight A's. Though you could have temporary bouts of less than clinical depression. It is possible you have Anorexia. And you might also have Borderline Personality Disorder. I knew a girl who cut like you, and had strong random moods like you, and didn't eat, and those are the disorders which she had. Do you also have a lot of muscle tension and are strong for your size? In my opinion "cutting" is not a disorder unless you're attempting suicide or cutting muscles or connective tissues. What I would recommend is that you switch from not eating to "healthy diet and exercise." Resist doing anything impulsive during mood swings. Deal with anxiety in some natural way, some people eat chocolate, or smoke (a little) or some other food or activity that takes the edge off. And don't get dramatic with people, especially parents etc ... because you really don't want to get caught up in the mental "health" system or psychiatric drugging when you are still a minor.
    Non Servium 85 Replies Flag this Response
  • My name is Cortney. I think I might be depressed. I'm only fifteen, so maybe its just "all in my head"? I was in some therapy when I was little; First grade to sixth (My mom thought I may have been depressed because of the sudden separation between her and my father). I haven't gone through much, but at the end of sixth grade my step-mother died in my home, and that is when i had started cutting. Don't ask me why I actually did it, because I dont even know myself but it was honestly addicting. I cut without my parents noticing until the 9th grade. My mother still doesn't know, but I lashed out at my dad one day and in the process, told him about my secret. I have not cut for a year and a half, and I thought I was doing good. Recently (August) I had an appendectomy, which went fine, but also developed Anemia. I cannot seem to feel hungry anymore, I am forced to eat at least once at home as I do not eat at school. I have trouble sleeping at night (I sleep during school) and have frequent anxiety attacks. I have "random" moods, from happy to sad to very angry. School is a big part of my life, as I have straight A's and am top of my class, even though I do take short naps when I am through with my work. I cannot pay attention in class most of the time (I dont even know how I'm get my A's) and I keep to myself sometimes. My mother used to pressure me into getting these grades, but its more of me doing that to myself. I seem to get sick more than I should. I've had CAT scans and MRI's but they do not find anything wrong besides my blood low in iron. So, am I depressed? And if I am, is it serious enough to where I should bother my parents about it? I dont feel like I should bother them about something that would possibly go away. Note: Oh, I almost forgot. When I stopped cutting, I hid my hunting knife. I found it today. It gave me a really big rush, like I should cut immediately to make up for lost time. I haven't cut just yet, but I liked the old feeling, the adrenaline. That was my wake up call; that's why I came here. I am sorry for all you are going through - you sound like you've been through a lot at such a young age! Depression often has an underlying cause of nutritional deficiencies. Due to your recent surgery and anemia, I will guarantee you are B12 deficient. Please ask your docs to test your B12 and vitamin D levels. Make sure you know exactly what the results are. Or you can just try taking a methylcobalamin B12 supplement and see if your symptoms improve. Methyl B12 is a fantastic mood regulator, and deficiencies can cause neurological symptoms. Please visit this website www.1stholistic.com and click on the link about nutritional deficiencies and their symptoms. I believe this is a contributing factor to your current condition. Your lack of sleep is a huge concern. Sleep deprivation can cause all of your symptoms. Please look into homeopathic sleep aids - google Rescue Sleep for example. These are gentle, non habit forming, and very effective to help with your sleep. I suggest continued counseling, but find someone you can relate to...it may take a few tries, but this will be helpful. I don't think you need antidepressant medication, as this should be a LAST resort over counseling, dietary supplementation, exercise, and more. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi Cortney. You're not clinically depressed. Depressed people rarely get straight A's. Though you could have temporary bouts of less than clinical depression. It is possible you have Anorexia. And you might also have Borderline Personality Disorder. I knew a girl who cut like you, and had strong random moods like you, and didn't eat, and those are the disorders which she had. Do you also have a lot of muscle tension and are strong for your size? In my opinion "cutting" is not a disorder unless you're attempting suicide or cutting muscles or connective tissues. What I would recommend is that you switch from not eating to "healthy diet and exercise." Resist doing anything impulsive during mood swings. Deal with anxiety in some natural way, some people eat chocolate, or smoke (a little) or some other food or activity that takes the edge off. And don't get dramatic with people, especially parents etc ... because you really don't want to get caught up in the mental "health" system or psychiatric drugging when you are still a minor. Generally your right. But she could just be smart. I'm depressed and somehow I'm an honor student. Go figure! The reason is I isolate myself and spend that time on work. That and it is a part of my life I can control. I however agree with non-clinical depression, to me it looks like bi-polar. And yes you need to tell your parents. Ive had to do it before, yes they worry, but if you don't tell them they worry even more. Because it seems like you're acting strange for no-reason. So tell your parents.
    davidmt2 18 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am also unsure if I am depressed and i have very similar symtoms as you. They vary alot sometimes I need someone around me to take my mind off of being unhappy and sometimes I want to be isolated... Mostly isolated...I got good grades before when I was very very depressed and now I'm mainly just angry at everything it seems. I went through some stades. Uncontroblemly sad. Feeling nothing. Uncontroblemly sad again. and now anger! And when i say feeling nothing i mean it... i looked at everything with no emotions at all... i would cry often but no sobs or my stomache being upset just nothing but tears... it was odd...i'd rather be sad and feel nothing but instead im so angry...anger is a hard emotion to control and hid...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have been going through the same situtation, my therapist told me that I might have insomnia or sleeping disorder but i didnt understand what that has to do to the fact why im so depressed..People are always telling me that i should talk about my problems and it didnt work becuase the last time i tried to talk to a person, that person told me what everybody has been telling me. The only emotion I have been able to use is anger, I dont know why i get so anrgy the smallest things get me angry my friends have been telling I have changed but I dont feel different..So if anybody has a perfect explanation why im depressed and angry please tell me, and dont tell me i have any sleeping disorder or social disorders cause im in honor roll and have ok friends...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 16, 2010
    • 02:44 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement