Discussions By Condition: Anxiety

heart pounding all day and night

Posted In: Anxiety 25 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 17, 2006
  • 11:37 PM

hi

I've been experiancing heart pounding that last all most all day and night.
a doc says its anxiety. i'm having a hard time believing thats what i'm going through everyday for over 7 months is anxiety. i have had no relief in sight and feel very frustrated by this. when it first started happening i was put on zoloft, i was on it for 4 months. zolofot made no diffrence. i'm scared and feel my doctor is dismissing my concerns, due to the fact that i do have anxiety.. is there anyone who has had heart pounding everyday all day and night?

Reply Flag this Discussion

25 Replies:

• Hello, I'm a 25 year old male and I too deal with heart palpatations and also a rapid heart beat and chest pains. When I was 18 I was diagnosed with a mitral valve prolapse. I have also battled depression and anxiety/panic attacks and seperation anxiety. The panic attacks started when I was around 7 or 8. I'm told that symptoms of a mitral valve prolapse are depression and anxiety so maybe your anxiety isn't causing your heart palpations, but maybe it's the other way around. You might mention it to your doctor, if he does a simple scope procedure, he'll be able to tell if that's the problem.Ryan
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi I've been experiancing heart pounding that last all most all day and night.a doc says its anxiety. i'm having a hard time believing thats what i'm going through everyday for over 7 months is anxiety. i have had no relief in sight and feel very frustrated by this. when it first started happening i was put on zoloft, i was on it for 4 months. zolofot made no diffrence. i'm scared and feel my doctor is dismissing my concerns, due to the fact that i do have anxiety.. is there anyone who has had heart pounding everyday all day and night? Hi 3angelbaby:I too had heart pounding for over 6 hours the first panic attack I had 2 months ago. Even after it past, I felt weird with heart pounding for about 2 days. It went away after that until I had a second panic attack and it again lasted a few days then went away. I too had a hard time believing it was anxiety and also felt like doctors dismissed me as not having anything due to my age, health history, etc. It is very frustrating. I can not even imagine what having it for 7 months is like. My heart goes out to you. Hang in there. My "anxiety" is that is what is it... may be causing high blood pressure, so I understand worrying that somethign else might be wrong.
    New MKE User 15 Replies
    • October 24, 2006
    • 03:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi I can tell you from experience I had the same symptoms went to the Hospital for it, I was also told it was a panic attack. Then I started feeling faint The my Doctor finaly put me on a heart monitar for a whole month my heart would start beeting rapidly, I was put on a medicine called Atenolol. I am now doing great!
    dee101 2 Replies
    • November 7, 2006
    • 10:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Get yourself to a heart doctor right away.
    jcjjjs 14 Replies
    • December 27, 2006
    • 01:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi I've been experiancing heart pounding that last all most all day and night.a doc says its anxiety. i'm having a hard time believing thats what i'm going through everyday for over 7 months is anxiety. i have had no relief in sight and feel very frustrated by this. when it first started happening i was put on zoloft, i was on it for 4 months. zolofot made no diffrence. i'm scared and feel my doctor is dismissing my concerns, due to the fact that i do have anxiety.. is there anyone who has had heart pounding everyday all day and night?I have the same thing , It is very scarry , I wish It would go away , I often wonder if it is a heart attack, But the doc says it is anxiety, I would like to tty moe about this Im ally tty soon
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2007
    • 08:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • A friend of mine had a similiar problem. Get your thyroid checked. His was overactive. Got meds, made a big difference.
  • In Chinese Medicine anxiety is often caused by a Heart/Kidney inbalance. To diagnose "anxiety" without checking other heart issues is just not getting the whole picture... Heart pounding like the original poster is describing sounds like much more than just anxiety. Please get yourself to another doctor who will check your heart. Also, at the same time look into finding an Oriental Medical practitioner who may be able to get you back in balance and help relieve your anxiety. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • i also one day woke up with palpitations and aflushing sensation through my bodt. went to the dr. and he did an ekg.which was normal but too amny heartbeats. 127bpm. i went to a cardiologist and had an echo done and than ewanted me to have an ct angiogram of the chest which both came out fine. i went to the er one night i was so on edge and had chest pains an they did an ekg which was fine but again had a fast heart rate.it is scary but if you feel it is something more than go to the er and they will do test. i am now on xanax only when needed. which is a big help.anxiety can be so unreal. i actually had it in my head that i was dying and had a heart condition so getting a few tests put mt mind at ease but i still have a feeling sometimes that i have a bad heart but anxiey is a very scary feeling and you think somwtimes it isnt possible that your body can put you through so much. but if you never had any test done i would defanitly recomend an ct angiogram of the chest,it is the most simple test and tells a whole lot.good luck to everybody!!
  • hi my name's Christina. I too have suffered, and still am, from anxiety and the horrible symptoms that go along with them. Stress weighs the heart down, especially with unexpected rapid heart beat and palpitations. It's very scary, especially when I toss a certain way when I lay down to try and go to sleep, and get a tight feeling of pain near my heart. But i've been put on anxiety medication, and am going through tough times right now in my life, and I have a feeling that is what started this anxiety up again, because it started as soon as the problems have started for me. All I can say is try to get on medication as soon as possible and they will keep you calm. It's all in your head thinking it's a heart attack, even though it feels like one, trust me.Hope this helps!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 17, 2007
    • 04:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I spent the night in the ER again last night with the chest pain, palpatations, headache..the usual. But this timethe reason I went in wa because just as I would fall asleep I would get very dizzy.(does that make sense?) Then when I would open my eyes it felt as if I was going to pass out. I have spent the past 2 nights this way. The same dr that always sees me up there said I have progressed to having panic attacks IN MY SLEEP. She gave me a script of xanax and some meds for dizziness, I went home and crashed for a few hours. This whole thing has got my blood pressure almost steady at 170/90-100. I've got to do something to get this under control. The Celexa just ain't cutting it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2007
    • 01:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • zoloft do have a lot of side effect. you can go check it on google. my personal opinion is you can try some supplement which won't bring any side effect. or go for more medication treatment in hospital.
    thewildwind 16 Replies
    • November 14, 2007
    • 07:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Get thee to a homeopath before you pollute your body with chemicals that can make things worse.De-clutter your bedroom, create a relaxing ritual so your body calms down and meditate before bed.Stop all caffeine and sugars and drink plenty of clean water.Taking the natural route may take some time (detoxing your body) but it is the only thing that can help your body re-set to its normal state.I thought I was going crazy with anxiety and waking up with heart pounding but the homeopath tested for what was really going on and gave me a solid plan that put me back on track.Mother nature knows best so let nature be your answer.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2008
    • 10:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had anxiety attacks for years. I have found that when you go to the ER with heart related symptoms, they see that you are on anxiety meds. you are just automatically diagnosed with another panic attack. I am thinking if I ever have to go to ER again, ( which I pray that I do not ) I am not going to tell them about ever having anxiety. Makes me wonder what different treatment I will get.
    anxious Annie 59 Replies
    • January 23, 2008
    • 04:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i am 34 years old and had bad anxiety since i was 18 . that lasted about a year and i was able to suppress it until recent . for the past two years i been completely aware of my heartbeat day and night . it almost is driving me crazy . constent pounding especially when tryin to sleep . sometimes i cant sleep at all. i do believe this is caused by stress and anxiety . i now exprience panic attacks on a weekly basis . but i refuse to be a prisioner . so i continue to go about my daily life as best i can and ignore it. allow your mind to let go of it and it will... i hope !!!!!a couple drinks seem to help me anyhow.... not that thats the answer
  • i too suffer from pounding heart all day...luckily at night i can sleep. this is going on for about 8 months now. my family doctor after a check up and eng...said it was anxiety....i have gone to a cardiologist and he said its not caused by your heart ...it is all anxiety....i dont want to get on antidepressants....b/c im scared of them.....so i just increased ativan....which works for me.......but i think it is still masking the problem.....i am doing counselling right now.....to help me with fears and anxiety.......and will also try relaxation exercises too. my problem started just when my in my life i had some problems with work.......its all in the mind!!
  • i too suffer from pounding heart all day...luckily at night i can sleep. this is going on for about 8 months now. my family doctor after a check up and eng...said it was anxiety....i have gone to a cardiologist and he said its not caused by your heart ...it is all anxiety....i dont want to get on antidepressants....b/c im scared of them.....so i just increased ativan....which works for me.......but i think it is still masking the problem.....i am doing counselling right now.....to help me with fears and anxiety.......and will also try relaxation exercises too. my problem started just when my in my life i had some problems with work.......its all in the mind!! Good for you - relaxation and meditation can really help. :) Please don't just think it is "all in the mind"...this is how western medicine treats anxiety, and I think it does a huge disservice to people who are suffering from this problem! Often anxiety does accompany heart palpitations and dizzyness, and the patient just gets dismissed with "anxiety". Traditional Chinese Medicine treats anxiety as a symptom of an internal inbalance between organs - often related to Heart, Kidneys and Liver. If you are suffering from anxiety, panic attacks, or other "in your head" issues: please consider trying acupuncture and Oriental Medicine to help get you back in balance. It can really help! Best wishesDOM
  • A friend has suffered from a pounding heart for the past 16 years. She tested positive for Hepatitis B. Could the rapid heartbeat be brought on by the Hep B
  • Once you have been diagnosed with anxiety the ER doctors dismiss your symptoms of heart problems with just another anxiety attack. I know this for a fact. I know the difference between an anxiety attack and something different going on in my body. I am wasteing my time when I try to tell them otherwise. I am thinking about not even telling the ER that I take anxiety meds, so that they will have to check out heart problems.
    anxious Annie 59 Replies Flag this Response
  • Once you have been diagnosed with anxiety the ER doctors dismiss your symptoms of heart problems with just another anxiety attack. I know this for a fact. I know the difference between an anxiety attack and something different going on in my body. I am wasteing my time when I try to tell them otherwise. I am thinking about not even telling the ER that I take anxiety meds, so that they will have to check out heart problems. Allopathic medicine does a great disservice to patients by doing this! Unfortunately, it is not uncommon, and anyone diagnosed with a "psychological" disorder often will not be taken seriously. That is when I suggest you try acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine. It treats the WHOLE body, and anxiety is often a symptom of a Heart and Kidney imbalance. Please consider trying this form of medicine...it may also help point you in the right direction to ask for specific Western testing. Acupuncture is thousands of years old, compared to Western medicine which is barely 200 years old...they are doing something right IMO! Best wishesDOM
  • I have been going through the same thing for the past 5 days, constant palpation's with the constant thought of death and a heart attack. I've had trouble sleeping and shortness of breath comes and goes. I'm scheduled for an appointment with my family doctor in two days so i hope everything works out. goodluck with your problem
    MarcoTokes 2 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement