Discussions By Condition: Sleep disorders

sleep

Posted In: Sleep disorders 4 Replies
  • Posted By: lolo5028
  • November 9, 2006
  • 05:11 AM

i work as a 911 dispatcher my shift is from 6pm to 6am i have been on this shift for 5 years and i really like it but in the last 8 months i have started having a problem at work and at home i am sleeping the sme amount of hours during that day before i go to work but around 3am i start getting so tired and i can be talking and just doze off but it's only for seconds at a time and i find myself doing that at home it's almost like i pass out i don't even realize it happens until it's over and it is going to cost me my job if i can't find out what is wrong ...i am 50 years white female i am 5'4 200lbs i take 10 mg altace for high blood pressure ..i take prevacid for and ulcer ...and i take efexor for depresion 150mg i have been doing this work for over 12 years and i have never had a problem before falling asleep can you help me or tell me what i might do to help solve this problem thanks lolo

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• Have you considered sleep apnea?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2006
    • 02:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Some research on circadian rhythm disorders suggests that as we get older, our natural sleep schedules automatically "advance" to an earlier time. So, you may need to change your work schedule so that your work shift ends earlier. I know that's kind of tough when the company you work for only has twelve-hour shifts available. You might need to look for a new job with an afternoon/evening eight-hour shift that starts at around 3 or 4 pm and ends at around 11 pm or midnight.
    daysleepsanctuary 1 Replies
    • December 5, 2006
    • 09:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It sounds like you might need to go see your Primary Care Doctor and tell him about what is going on. He will then probably in most cases tell you need a sleep study. I was the same way before I went for a sleep study. I experienced all of of those symptoms and it turned out I had sever sleep apnea where I stopped breathing 107 times a hour.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 9, 2006
    • 01:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Also get your tsh, t4 and t3 checked out. Your symptoms sound a lot like a thyroid disorder.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 13, 2006
    • 01:06 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement