Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

17 year old female, kidney/bladder problems?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 9 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 9, 2009
  • 09:26 PM

Hi I'm only 17 years old and I've been having recurring bladder and kidney infections for three years. For the last month I've had constant flank pain ranging from dull to deep that radiates all the way from my back to the front of my ribcage. 2 weeks ago I went to the doctor and they prescribed me Macrobid for a bladder infection. My symptoms did not go away, and my urine culture came back showing that I have blood in my urine. This is how it's been since 2006 and I'm getting sick of it! Antibiotics do not help me, and I'm starting to think that I have something seriously wrong with my kidneys because of all this pain. It all started with an E-Coli infection that caused a UTI that spread to my kidneys.

I'm at the end of my rope, I can't even go to school now because of the pain, frequent urination, and nausea. PLEASE give me any advice that you possibly can.. Thank you..

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• Hi. I just turned 19 in November 2008 and I'm having almost the same problems. I often feel so terrible I don't want to pee or move or eat. It's been about a year or two and I've been to the doctor and hospital about 6 times. They keep telling me its a bladder infection/ UTI and prescribing me countless types of medication that fail to work. I experience extreme tiredness (sleeping 12-26 hours), back pain, nausea, protein in urine, bloody urine, burning during urination, white visible flakes in urine, and even passed something similar to a kidney stone. My previous doctors all did urine samples and said I had a UTI. I continued having problems after 4 types of medication. I started peeing blood a month ago and went to the hospital the doctor took a urine sample and said I had protein and red blood cells in my urine (my urine was very dark red/orange in color). He said I had more red blood cells in my urine then protein. They said it was a sign of infection. The proceeded with a CT scan and found 4 kidney stones dormant in my kidneys but saw no sign of me recently passing one that would have caused the blood. They gave me a perscription of antibiotics for my bladder and sent me home. I took them and stopped peeing blood after 3 days. A week had passed and I began having back pain and began peeing blood, this again lasted 3 days. I got another prescription of antibiotics and still continued to feel bad. My outer vagina even began burning and I had a white discharge which I believed to be a yeast infection caused by the doses of antibiotic. I got a 3 day medicine for that and its seemed to clear up. Now a month later I'm feeling ill before and after urination, it burns when I pee (right towards when the last bits coming out), lower abdominal pain near the bladder, painful sexual intercourse, and once again white visible flakes in my urine. I have no idea whats going on and apparently the doctors don't either. They are not treating this right so I know how you feel. I've been to the doctor so many times and tried so many medications that I'm getting so fed up and tired of this affecting my life. I just wish they would figure it out and fix it for good. If you ever find out please let me know or if anyone has any information on this please contact me or reply to this and if I ever find out I will let everyone know as well.
    mistyxdawn 3 Replies
    • February 10, 2009
    • 01:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for posting mistyxdawn. Unfortunately the doctors don't ever seem to look closely enough at anything in my case. I would be grateful if they even did a CT scan! I've been to the hospital three times in the last two years with SEVERE kidney infections that were treated with antibiotics. But it seems as though even when I bring up the fact that I am having flank pain, the doctors over look it and say that it's all in my head. Well, the blood in my urine didn't come from nothing!I'm getting to the point where I can't eat anymore, I'm so tired I can't even function properly, and the back pain is so bad. I was in a car accident in which I broke my left hip in 2006, so I know what pain is... I want some answers, that's all...Anyways, I tried to go to the doctor about 30 minutes ago but all of the offices are booked up for tonight, and the hospital is a 6 hour wait so I'm going to get ready in the morning and just go on my own. If I get any answers or even any information, I'll make sure and tell you.So far it's looking like I either have kidney stones or some sort of kidney disease/disorder. :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2009
    • 04:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello again. :] I must say WOW you've been through a lot. I know how you feel for sure about wanting answers. I'm planning on making another doctors appointment soon myself, but it most likely won't change anything. I'm hoping if I still have pain like I am I might try and get into a doctor that specializes in the urinary tract. You need to make sure you tell the doctors that they're not solving your problem and if they ignore it ...find a different doctor. I'm so fed up with them. I hope all goes well with your appointment now and maybe they can finally help you. Doctors seem to brush off this type of problem a lot. Even when I showed my doctor my kidney stone I passed he said "how bad did that hurt?" and laughed. Then ended leaving the room on "I wouldn't even worry about it". So we pretty much have to tell doctors what to do. It's a shame. I'm still having pain when I pee and feeling ill afterwards. I'm getting fed up dealing with it. Let me know how everything goes for you.All The Best-Misty:]
    mistyxdawn 3 Replies
    • February 11, 2009
    • 05:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I dont have any answers for ya but I have had chronic bladder infections since I was little. I can tell before I get blood in my urine, before it burns that I'm getting a uti because my urine is "cloudy" and I make sure to immediatly take an otc med called uristat it dosnt cure the uti but it makes urinating bearable until I can get to the dr. not a cure but will help you from feeling like you are peeing razor blades.:eek:p.s. and I hate it but swear buy it....drink lots of cranberry juice
    karrisue2005 8 Replies
    • February 11, 2009
    • 08:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • In addition to finding a good doctor who will listen to you and get the testing you need, I suggest two things: 1. Get yourself a good quality probiotic and begin taking a double dose daily. There are many kinds, but Jarrow is a good brand. you can find this at any healthfood store and online at vitacost.com. This is important to reintroduce the beneficial flora in your GI and GU tracts. 2. Please consider finding a certified acupuncturist and Chinese herbalist to help you with this problem. Traditional Chinese medicine is extremely effective for urinary issues. Please visit www.nccaom.org or www.acufinder.com for more info on this form of medicine. I am an acupuncturist and have treated UTI's and Kidney pain/stones, and incontinence. It is just a more holistic approach to treating illness IMO. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • February 11, 2009
    • 03:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am sorry to hear about all of the suffering you both have gone through. The one thing that helps me to keep my sanity is to have a doctor that is a big support. He might not know exactly what is wrong with me, but is willing to do whatever it takes to get some kind of diagnosis. That is the kind you need.As for the bladder problem, I had infections frequently from the time I was 17 until a couple of years ago. I was doing the same thing with the cranberry juice and taking antibiotics all over the place. When I went in for my annual pap with my Ob/Gyn, they asked me about it and did a test for Interstitial Cystitis. I had never heard anything about it until then. It is very frustrating to not be able to anything without getting a UTI. I am not saying that this is the diagnosis, but it is a test that can be done in office if your gynecologist has the information, and there is treatment for it. Like I said, I don't know if this could be your diagnosis, but it doesn't hurt to rule it out. Here is a helpful website that has great information: http://www.ic-network.com/Keep us up to date on where this goes. Hope it helps!
    Busilady 3 Replies
    • February 11, 2009
    • 10:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Request an IVP to make sure you don't have blockage in your ureter from scar tissue from passing stones. Find a good urologist! He's still a bit perplexed by my case but I feel better now that the scar tissue is cleaned up. We are now looking into this because I have chronic kidney & bladder pain without stones:http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do?topicKey=renldis/4708
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2009
    • 05:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello again. :] I must say WOW you've been through a lot. I know how you feel for sure about wanting answers. I'm planning on making another doctors appointment soon myself, but it most likely won't change anything. I'm hoping if I still have pain like I am I might try and get into a doctor that specializes in the urinary tract. You need to make sure you tell the doctors that they're not solving your problem and if they ignore it ...find a different doctor. I'm so fed up with them. I hope all goes well with your appointment now and maybe they can finally help you. Doctors seem to brush off this type of problem a lot. Even when I showed my doctor my kidney stone I passed he said "how bad did that hurt?" and laughed. Then ended leaving the room on "I wouldn't even worry about it". So we pretty much have to tell doctors what to do. It's a shame. I'm still having pain when I pee and feeling ill afterwards. I'm getting fed up dealing with it. Let me know how everything goes for you.All The Best-Misty:]Well Misty, I'm waiting for results back from the doctor. I had blood taken and they sent my urine for another urinalysis. I finally found a doctor who seems (so far) to genuinely care about my well being. They're testing my creatinine, my billirubin and a bunch of other things. I am also scheduled for an ultrasound on March 6th. I'll let you know how it goes!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2009
    • 04:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hey im 19 and have been having a similar problem for over a year. Peeing blood, feeling like i have a constant UTI and flank pain with no bacteria. Im soo sick of the doctors they srsly dnt giv a **** and when they can't work out whats wrong they start asking if ur "Depressed" about anything. I have that white cells thign in my pee as well. Its the lining of your bladder and kidneys shedding, its usually invisible but if u have inflammation inside ur urinary tract it sheds in chunks and you can see it. I had a cystoscopy which showed inflammation and nothing else, not Interstitial Cystitis as this would show cracks in your bladder wall.. so they said they couldnt do anything about it. didn't even give me medication for it. You need to find a GOOD urologist. Just keep moving on until you find one that'll help. im waiting to seemy third now grr.. Do you have any gyno symptoms as well cause i do, which makes my gyno tell me to see a urologist and my urologist tells me to see my gyno! Watching ur diet helps a bit. I found that cutting down as low as possible on sodium helped and defo DONT drink ural. Its full of it and i found it was actully ewating away at the inside of my bladder.. (The urologist told me to drink double doses daily) its only good if u have an actual UTi. If you get reccurent bacterial infections theres this stuff you can buy online called Waterfall D-Mannose. U drink it with water, E.coli sticks to it n gets flushed out so no need for antibiotics. I been to acupuncturist, didnt help me but they also mentioned that 'amines' and 'salicylates' (chemicals in certain foods, especially processed and in fruits) can cause severe urinary tract reactions in some people. But u have to eliminate these things for about 2weeks before your symptoms are spose to clear. Well hope i helped you a bit. Serra
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2009
    • 04:31 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement