Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

1 Year Now: No Meds for Depression Have Helped

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: ConcernedSon7
  • January 1, 2009
  • 05:44 PM

(I am writing this on behalf of my father)

Thanks for reading:
Here are the symptoms:

74 year old married male, having these symptoms for over a year now.

Extreme Lethargy
Lack of energy
Weakness
Tiredness
Shallow breathing
Lack of balance
Confusion
Unable to make a decision
Lack of confidence

I've had these symptoms before. They come every 3-4 years and eventually go away after 6 months or so. This time they haven't gone away for the past year (Spet 2007) . The symptoms started after I was put under anethesia for catract surgery..... depression has run in my side of the family.

These symptoms of lack of energy, etc. occur in the morning and gradually dissipate throughout the day. By evening, I'm relatively back to normal but during the day it is a constant struggle to get through the day.

I take blood pressure meds. I try to eat as healthy as I can, sometimes I I lean towards sweets. My appetite is good though. I do get hungry and eat.

I take some fish oil during the week and some multiple vitamins but I am not consistent with them.

It is hard for me to make plans to do things because I don't know how long episodes will last some times. I would like to go out and do things if I have the energy to.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• Could be a ton of things. Have you had a physical lately? Could be lack of nutrients, B12 deficiency, anemia, etc.. You need to see your GP.Pamela
    pamelasmc 82 Replies
    • January 1, 2009
    • 10:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Could be a ton of things. Have you had a physical lately? Could be lack of nutrients, B12 deficiency, anemia, etc.. You need to see your GP.Pamela I totally agree with this. Please get a full blood panel done including B12 and D levels. Thyroid should be checked. Get copies of your blood work done, and don't just let the docs say "everything looks great". If your B12 levels are the low end of normal (say, under 500), you most likely have a deficiency. B12 deficiency causes irreversible neurological problems and mimics alzheimer's. It is very common in the elderly, and often underdiagnosed. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 1, 2009
    • 11:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • (I am writing this on behalf of my father) Thanks for reading:Here are the symptoms: 74 year old married male, having these symptoms for over a year now. Extreme LethargyLack of energyWeaknessTirednessShallow breathingLack of balanceConfusionUnable to make a decision Lack of confidence I've had these symptoms before. They come every 3-4 years and eventually go away after 6 months or so. This time they haven't gone away for the past year (Spet 2007) . The symptoms started after I was put under anethesia for catract surgery..... depression has run in my side of the family. These symptoms of lack of energy, etc. occur in the morning and gradually dissipate throughout the day. By evening, I'm relatively back to normal but during the day it is a constant struggle to get through the day. I take blood pressure meds. I try to eat as healthy as I can, sometimes I I lean towards sweets. My appetite is good though. I do get hungry and eat. I take some fish oil during the week and some multiple vitamins but I am not consistent with them. It is hard for me to make plans to do things because I don't know how long episodes will last some times. I would like to go out and do things if I have the energy to. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Hello Concernedson, Every symtom on there points at b12 deficiency. The kicker is the pot anesthesia clue. Nitrous oxide is often used as part of anesthesia and destroys methylb12, immediately depriving the nervous system of this vital nutrient. http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?p=135792#post135792 Come on over the b12 forum to find out the most effective kinds, brands and methods of use for restoring b12 and healing the damages. We have a reasonably complete list of symptoms and a lot of experienced people having good results.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies
    • January 1, 2009
    • 11:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • the fact that you are really wanting to go and do things but it's purely a lack of energy stopping you. makes me think that your issue could be something else rather than depression. Are you getting thoughts which do indicate you have depression? Depression is often the most easiest diagnoses for a doctor to just tell someone they have. The thing you pick up later on each day.. could suggest some kind of "metabolic" (umm not sure if im using the right word issue).. but it could indicate that there is something wrong with hormones eg cortisol. In most people this raises in morning but in some there may be a fault in ones system and this may not increase as it should. i suggest you to have your morning cortisol level tested. To make sure it isnt adrenal dysfunction causing your symptoms. Surgery can stress adrenals so issues starting at that point could make sense. With surgery and healing with surgery.. the body uses more vitamins.. so it could be some kind of vitamin deficiency causing the issue at times when your body just isnt getting enough. be aware too that antidepressents in many are unsuccessful. If you believe you do have depression.. maybe try something like st johns wort (a herbal med) for it. In some countries this is used more for depression than antidepressants cause it causes less side effects and is just as effective in studies as antidepressants.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies
    • January 2, 2009
    • 02:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I agree with those answering before me...you need to get checked out. Please look up all your medications to see if maybe one of them can be causing your problem, especially your blood pressure medicine.If your B12 is low, no amount of medicine for depression will work.And also, have your testosterone level checked. A low testosterone level can cause depression too. Best wishes. Marionstar
    marionstar 228 Replies
    • January 2, 2009
    • 02:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you all for your assistance....I will start with these and work from there.Any additional suggestions are most welcome.Peace.Ray
    ConcernedSon7 2 Replies
    • January 2, 2009
    • 03:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The only additional thing I can come up with is reactive hypoglcemia,since you said he ingested sweets rather often.Hypoglycemia can mimic any neurological or psychiatric illness known.
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • January 2, 2009
    • 01:14 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement