Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Numbness Right Side Of Body

Posted In: Nerve conditions 44 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 13, 2006
  • 01:55 AM

I have spent two days at the hospital, CT scan and MRI both showing negative. My symtoms started with numbness in my right leg, and slowly moving up the right side of my body. Within 3 - 4 hours I could feel the numbness move from my leg, hip, arm, and shoulder. It finally stopped at my brow. It is now 4 days after the occurance. Most all numbness is now gone except for the right side of my face.

I noticed a day prior too the numbness, my vision was blurry at times.
I had a slight headache during the two day period.
I felt and still feel very weak.

Any suggestions as to what this might be?

Reply Flag this Discussion

44 Replies:

• Has anyone considered myelitis? I've had TM (Transverse Myelitis for about 13 years) Some get better some don't. You can read all about it on the internet.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 12, 2006
    • 02:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the same exact symptons and was told by a Neurologist to get a brain MRI scan and lumbar puncture (spinal tap). Although I would not suggest a spinal tap because of very possible complications, it "may" help rule out more serious conditions such as MS (multiple Sclerosis, lupus, lyme disease, sarcoidosis). When I had a brain MRI done, they found white spots throughout my brain which indicates a serious condition. I was told at first, it could be MS. But then I did a spinal tap. Test results came back negative. But when my Neurologist sent me to a top hospital for a second opinion, guess what? All the conditions I listed above now still apply. Getting a spinal tap does NOT rule out other diseases 100%. You will need a series of tests, MRI's, blood tests, EMG's to find out what is wrong. And let me tell you, with an EMG, it is NOT going to be easy. They run electrical shocks through your body and it is not fun at all. You WILL need health insurance, because MRI's alone cost thousands of dollars. If you have no insurance, you are taking a risk of ruining your health more. You need to seek alternative insurance plans such as Medicaid.I hope this is helpful information.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2006
    • 00:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • have you gotton any new information on your condition? I have recently began experiencing similar symptoms
    cwpturtle 1 Replies
    • January 6, 2007
    • 06:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Lyme Disease will give you one sided /migrating symptoms. Do a search on it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2007
    • 01:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • has the possibility of stroke or t. i.a.been eliminated?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2007
    • 02:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I think this is classic migraine
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 02:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • ive had migraines for about 10 years. Now twice within the past 2 years i have had tingling and numbness in my right side for an extended period of time. MRI's and blood work show nothing. So now what? I wait for it to happen again? Noone seems to be able to help me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 08:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • ive had migraines for about 10 years. Now twice within the past 2 years i have had tingling and numbness in my right side for an extended period of time. MRI's and blood work show nothing. So now what? I wait for it to happen again? Noone seems to be able to help me.There are medications to prevent migraine which might be worth taking, assuming all the appropriate tests have been done and are negative.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 03:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have just recovered from numbness all down the left side of my body (two days ago), doctors say that the most likely cause is classic migraine. it can last for a few days and can reoccur. also thinking about it made it worse so try not to. the migraine is causing numbness - numbness is causing stress - stress is increasing migraine. take a day off and lie down flat, it seems to allow better circulation of the arteries.Hope that this is really what it is, check to see if your parents have a history of migraines, its a 75% bigger chance of you developing it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hiI also had similar symtoms. Completed a CT scan and MRI of the head and neck which came back normal.It began with migraines also which developed into a neuralgia where I couldn't touch the front right portion of my head because it would send shooting pain into my head (sometimes bearable, sometimes unbearable).However about 1 week after that started, the numbness began. Not a complete numbness but a mild numbness starting with my hand only first then by the second day the entire right side of my body. This is going on four weeks now. One doctor said it was probably stress induced.Another proffered that the use of Nasacort (over a 2month period) could be the cause (at least for the neuralgia)Any thoughts?
    meem72 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had numbness on my left side of the body, muscle pain, and trouble walking for two months now...I have thyroid disease-but now my numbers are normal and I am still having problems. I have upper back pain and tingling in my face too. I can feel sensory issues, different feelings from left and right- and have been to tons of docs...all MRIs, Spinal Tap, and bloodwork are all normal.I am just hoping one day this goes away-Could it still be MS?
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• This is so scary. I have been having lower back pain for 18 montyhs - it came on suddenly. I get electric shock type pain (I call it a spasm) then it goes down both legs, and if it is a really bad spasm, I can't walk! I have had MRI scans on lower back - nothing. Consultant recommended physio - been having that for 12 months - no better.2 weeks ago I had numbness in my R side, then tingling, then I lost the use of both R arm and leg. I have been in hospital for 2 weeks now, but MRI and EEG show nothing. (brain and cervical spine). The numbness has now turned to convulsive movements over which I have no control. I have at least one "episode~" a day - its very frightening. I am a drama student with a place at a prestigious college in September,but if I don't get this sorted I won't be able to go! The doctors keep saying "it will pass" - but I am not getting any help. Can anyone suggest anything ?
  • I've had left-side numbness, weakness and trouble walking for the last 6 weeks. MRI was normal. It appears to be Vit B12 deficiency, which can cause permanent neurologic damage if not treated. Most docs miss the diagnosis.Check out this thread.http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=9948I hope everyone finds some answers and recovers.
  • A little research of the medical literature gave the following.Numbness on one side of the body is called "hemianesthesia" and can occur from transient ischemic attacks (which is to say, temporary blocks of circulating oxygen) or even possibly migraine. These ischemic events may have multiple causes -- many things can cause the circulation to be interrupted. For example, plaques/deposits in the arteries, or (more probably) blockages caused by infections (for example, bacteria) if it correlates with bad weather conditions (i.e. mild winter / rain) or inflammation.Some references:-- http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec16/ch211/ch211a.html-- Clinical and Biochemical Analysis in Infection-Associated Stroke http://stroke.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/strokeaha;26/9/1520-- http://stroke.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/26/9/1520-- http://www.nature.com/jcbfm/journal/v22/n12/full/9591335a.html-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migraine-- Tzourio C, Tehindrazanarivelo A, Iglesias S, Alperovitch A, Chedru F, d'Anglejan-Chatillon J, Bousser MG (1995). "Case-control study of migraine and risk of ischaemic stroke in young women". BMJ 310 (6983): 830-3. PMID 7711619. -- Kurth, T; Gaziano JM, Cook NR, Logroscino G, Diener HC, Buring JE (July 19 2006). "Migraine and risk of cardiovascular disease in women". Journal of the American Medical Association 296 (3): 283-91. PMID 16849661If it were infection caused, then you would want to try herbal antibiotics (e.g. echninacea, grapefruit seed extract, etc. -- see Buhner. "Herbal Antibiotics") for the short-term and then try some beta-1,3-glycan supplement like Chinese medicinal mushrooms (for example, cordyceps, RM-10) to re-establish your immune health for the long-term.It it were migraine-related, then you would want to try herbal anti-migraine relief -- for example, feverfew.K.M.G, Ph.D. chemist
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 4, 2007
    • 08:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Possible shingles without the outbreak????
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • February 15, 2008
    • 03:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I experianced this 4 months ago (still ongoing) and all my test results came back negative. It was put down to viral infection in my nervous system, which they said would go within 6-8 weeks. four months on my symptoms have improved but I am still very weak down the right side of my body. I still get some degree on numbness back when I am tired, this seems to be when my symptoms are more prominent. Hopefully you get a more specific diagnosis.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 22, 2008
    • 11:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I Have also had this, And i Put It Down To DeHydration, As When I Made Sure I Drink More Water, I No-Longer Had The Symptoms.Take Care.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 16, 2008
    • 00:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My sister is 19 years old and has had both right and left side numbness in which her hands an feet went numb at the same time. this is all within the last 2 months an recently she was given a wheel chair because she became very week . But just to let you know her right side did it first then her left. The doctors in California said she has post traumatic stress disorder. but there still putting her through a lot of test. I don't think what the say it is, is what she has. What are your opinions?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2008
    • 04:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been having these symptoms. It started with an opthalmic migraine, once the visuals went away I started feeling the numbness, It started in my hand, then up my arm and my face. All on the right side. It's really scary, I'm only 22! hopefully this is just a migraine!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2009
    • 10:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This is for anyone experianceing the following. I searched many web sites trying to find answers and not 1 had one. If you have numbness, weakness, and/or tingling in your body manly starting in your hands and feet and moving to your face and head. If one of your eye(s) all of a sudden you can not see as well. You can not remember things as well. You have dizzyness. You probably have MS. It took 2 MRA's, a CT scan, and 4 MRI's before they just cought mine. I have had this I guess for 2 years with this being my relapse. My first one was about 2 years ago with Numbness in my right leg then traving across my body and leaving my left side within 2 weeks. I went to a doctor and then they sent me away and I thought I was fine since it left.About a month ago it happened again. Have a brain MRI (the standard one) done with contrast. They say they do not see any lesions in your brain do not except that answer. Get a cd and take it to a nueroligist that specializes in MS. You may be able to catch it before it gets full blown like mine. If this is your first experiance with it they may ask you for a lumbar punture which I did not have to do.Remember this comes out of no where. I look fine, act fine, but am not fine. You need a shot of steroids ASAP which I am now going to get next week since I just found out I had this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2009
    • 04:02 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement