Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Tired of hearing "It's all in your head"

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 4 Replies
  • Posted By: soccerkwolf12
  • November 5, 2008
  • 03:04 AM

I am a college student and was diagnosed with bipolar disoder, PTSD, panic disorder, and OCD a few years ago. I also have moebius syndrome and polycystic ovarian syndrome. Well about a year ago I started to have strange physical problems that don't seem to connect. It started with episodes of vertigo. Then I began to fall down for no real reason. I went to a doctor at that point after falling down at work one day. They sent me to a neurologist. They couldn't find an answer. Then more symptoms started to appear. I began to have tingling sensations in my hands and feet. At this point I now get them in my face and nose as well. I got a new prescription for glasses about 8 months ago. I was only able to read the board at school with them on. I haven't worn them for a couple months. I started school again in August and was surprised to discover I was able to read the board without my glasses even though I sat in the very back row. I had my vision tested the other day and my vision has worsened, according to the test. My vision in my left eye is 20/100 and 20/75 in my right. I can explain these test results as I cannot focus one eye alone. If I am looking at something with both, I can see it just fine. Cover one up and I can't read at all. I often get sharp pains in my wrists and fingers. My arm muscles are incredibly weak despite working out. I can barely hold my 15 lb nephew for 2 minutes. I will occasionally see halos or floaters. My memory is terrible now. I could be in the middle of doing something, stop for a minute, and then have no clue what I was doing. Or I forget big, important things.

I first thought it could be my meds but they have been changed several times since this all began. I have now been off all meds for 2 months. The symptoms are still there.

None of these symptoms seem to connect. I am so often told "It's all in your head" by doctors or "Just lose some weight and it will stop". I've lost 20 lbs. I'm now only 10 lbs overweight. These symptoms make life so difficult! I don't know what to do. I have seen so many doctors and none seem to know what's going on.

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• Nope. Not necessarily all in your head. As soon as you start talking about rare genetic problems, most doctors are out of their depth. Find yourself a good geneticist. You may be misdiagnosed. There are several other things to be considered. Try here: http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic612.htm#section~Differentials
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • November 5, 2008
    • 08:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you been tested for MS my Aunt has MS with Fybro and these are almost identical symptoms to what she had within a year before being diagnosed... Please ask to be tested there are lots of treatments including natural based ones that can and will do a world of good... if you want to talk more about it grab me on YIM giftsgalore60534
    Christina2008 10 Replies
    • November 6, 2008
    • 02:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I did bring up concerns about MS but the doctor brushed it off because I'm 18. There is one thing I didn't mention because I put it to poor posture. When I press in on my ribs and collar bone it feels like it feels like a bruise. The pain stays for a few minutes after as well. I got x-rays last week to see if I had anything wrong with my ribs but my doctor hasn't called back. I mean I guess the ribs would fit with poor posture but my collar bone?
    soccerkwolf12 4 Replies
    • November 6, 2008
    • 03:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I would speak to another doctor who is willing to test you for MS my Aunt had symptoms from the time she was just fifteen now they were VERY mild and they did not go full flare until she was almost 30 but they were enough to have been diagnosed had she just gone to a doctor who did not brush it off as anxiety, PTSD or depression symptoms...***l she might have even been able to drive herself still now if they had been willing to check way back then... but now she has to rely on her husband, Mother & children to take care of her because they didn't want to listen back then...
    Christina2008 10 Replies
    • November 6, 2008
    • 03:40 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement