Discussions By Condition: Anxiety

anxiety/panic disorder

Posted In: Anxiety 28 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 1, 2006
  • 00:07 AM

Hi im 16 and i had my first panic attack about 5 months ago at a restaurant. i thot it was just the flu or sumthing and went home and went to sleep then i kept on getting them for the rest of the week. they have somewhat died down now but the anxiety is definately still there, i have no apetite at all when i have anxiety i have lost about 50 pounds since the first attack, and now i am getting heart palpitations all the time and odd chest pains which cause me to have more panic attacks. im always feeling fatigue and dizzy. i feel that if its going on this long already will it ever stop?. and i just cant take it anymore its ruining my whole life. suicide is definately a thot it my head right now. Do any of you out there feel the same way?

Reply Flag this Discussion

28 Replies:

• Hi there, I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder. I totally understand what you are going through. I was diagnosed 11 years ago. I was 18 at the time. When it started, i was having panic attacks all the time. Didnt understand what was going on and why. I was scared, thought there was something medically wrong. I have learned to live with it. I do experience anxiety everday, but have not have panic attacks in awhile. It can be very frustrating, after awhile it causes depression, you just want to feel "normal". Have you seeked help with an phsyciatrist? You can be put on medication to reduce the anxiety and panic attacks. There is alot of help out there, dont give up. Hang in there!!!
    beaud01 2 Replies
    • November 3, 2006
    • 06:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I just wanted to send you a quick reply letting you know that you should never give up hope. Anxiety and Panic is poorly understood by most people. Believe it or not but it is very common within the United States. July 2005 was when I had my first panic attack. Believe when I say I know what you are going through. I wish I could be there to help you out but this is something you MUST seek help for. I thought I could handle it on my own and I couldnt. I figured I was screwed for life from that day on out. Every day if not every other day I would have episodes. I thought the world was going to end and ended up losing a lot of sleep over this condition. There have been many times where I felt fuzzy in the head too. That symptom is rather common for those whom just experianced a panic attack. Please do research on this to better understand the who what when where and why's this happens. I also am seeing a therapist. Its the best decision I ever made! If you cannot go that route plese look into the Midwest center. This might help you as well. Good luck to you. Panic and Anxiety is NOT something you have to live with anymore.. Seek help and seek other with the same issues! Sthrnbelle :D
    sthrnbelle 2 Replies
    • January 9, 2007
    • 08:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi im 16 and i had my first panic attack about 5 months ago at a restaurant. i thot it was just the flu or sumthing and went home and went to sleep then i kept on getting them for the rest of the week. they have somewhat died down now but the anxiety is definately still there, i have no apetite at all when i have anxiety i have lost about 50 pounds since the first attack, and now i am getting heart palpitations all the time and odd chest pains which cause me to have more panic attacks. im always feeling fatigue and dizzy. i feel that if its going on this long already will it ever stop?. and i just cant take it anymore its ruining my whole life. suicide is definately a thot it my head right now. Do any of you out there feel the same way?ive been though all that its abith get a good phyciatrist. i also have manic depression and , just found out today i have narcolepcy which meds can make you have anxiety
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2007
    • 02:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi im 16 and i had my first panic attack about 5 months ago at a restaurant. i thot it was just the flu or sumthing and went home and went to sleep then i kept on getting them for the rest of the week. they have somewhat died down now but the anxiety is definately still there, i have no apetite at all when i have anxiety i have lost about 50 pounds since the first attack, and now i am getting heart palpitations all the time and odd chest pains which cause me to have more panic attacks. im always feeling fatigue and dizzy. i feel that if its going on this long already will it ever stop?. and i just cant take it anymore its ruining my whole life. suicide is definately a thot it my head right now. Do any of you out there feel the same way?You don't have to hurt yourself- there is hope.Check the " it starts with pin and needles " thread. It looks like a different thing- but it really is the same thing. I was going to jump into traffic a month ago- I was also getting dizzy on the street, having strong palpitations and all that bad stuff-You just need detox-Take care.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2007
    • 02:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi, i was diagnosed with anxiety disorder when i was 17. i am now 21 and still experience panic attacks. i have seen a psychologist and have taken many different antidepressants. i am currently taking wellbutrin and i take an occasional xanax when i get an anxiety attack. i know how you feel. ask your doctor if there are any medications for you. i also get heart palpatation and i was told to breath into a paperbag when i feel the anxiety come on. try not think too much when you feel these symptoms otherwise you will make it worse. your life is far too precious to let anxiety take it over. you will get through it. good luck!
    Brittany101 8 Replies
    • January 23, 2007
    • 05:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi my name is stacey and I live in va. I was recently told that I have anixety disorder and I tak zoloft for it. Maybe you should see your see your dr about this. Please write back soon.:(
    cat354 1 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 06:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, this is my first entry on a thread of any kind so my thought's might wonder a bit. i have recently started having anxiety attacks...i think. im 46 years old and i have been a courier for three years. never before have i had any thing like this happen to me. i have been playing guitar and smoking weed with friends ever since i was about 15 years old. most of the time the weed made me feel good but sometimes i was very paranoid. this was very uncomfortable to say the least. but no anxiety. i have been driving since i was 15 and i'm a great driver. i can drive anything, in the heavest traffic, in the fast lane, and and be completely comfortable. about 3 months ago a friend gave me some weed to somke on a 100 mile run i was going to make in my pick-up truck.i stopped just out of town and smoked some weed and then continued my trip. about 50 miles out of town the shoulder of the highway closed for about 5 miles and there was heave traffic. they closed them with these giant concrete barriers so there was no place for me to go if i needed to stop for an emergency. cars, trucks, semi's were all around me, going fast and i started to freak out. the more i thought about the more i freaked. my head started tingling and i was getting rushes of fear and felt like i might pass-out. that was the scariest thing i have been through in my life. i thought i was gonna die. after that i stoped smoking weed but the atrtacks kept on comming. everywhere i drove on the expressway,even if it was light traffic, i would get panic attacks and the spinning head, dizziness, and the feeling of passing out came back. the courier industry pushes you so hard to drive fast and works you long hours i think might be part of the problem. i have quit being a courier and the problem has calmed dowm alot but i still feel a little nervous where i never felt nervous before, driving on the highway. its like im hyper-aware of all the cars around me all the sudden. i think its when i get on the highway and start thinking about not haveing a panic attact is when it hits me the hardest. anyway sorry this was so long.
    quicktriggerman 1 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 10:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I just joined this site. I have found some interesting things. Myself and my husband suffer from anxiety. He has been on Zoloft for years, but does not seem to work any more. He now takes Cymbalta. My anxiety comes from me having Muscular Distrophy. I have had many surgeries and have to go through more. My daughter has it to. It is an every day battle for me. My doctor put me on Cymbalta to help with the pain. They give that to MS and MD patients. It really does not help. I also take Zantex. It helps some. I have days I cant walk. I have to wear braces on my legs. I do exercise on a bike in my living room and do video tapes. I feel good when I can get through them. I cant move for a few days, but I just cant lay around. My doctor tells me there is no cure, but they have to come up with something. What meds have helped others?
    amy hoskins 17 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 08:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You don't have to hurt yourself- there is hope.Check the " it starts with pin and needles " thread. It looks like a different thing- but it really is the same thing. I was going to jump into traffic a month ago- I was also getting dizzy on the street, having strong palpitations and all that bad stuff-You just need detox-Take care.Hi I have the same thing , Im am scared all the time , I want it to go away , Ill I do is worrie that some thing bad is going to happen , And when my heart speads up I get really scared , And my palms get sweat is that normal?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2007
    • 08:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi im 16 and i had my first panic attack about 5 months ago at a restaurant. i thot it was just the flu or sumthing and went home and went to sleep then i kept on getting them for the rest of the week. they have somewhat died down now but the anxiety is definately still there, i have no apetite at all when i have anxiety i have lost about 50 pounds since the first attack, and now i am getting heart palpitations all the time and odd chest pains which cause me to have more panic attacks. im always feeling fatigue and dizzy. i feel that if its going on this long already will it ever stop?. and i just cant take it anymore its ruining my whole life. suicide is definately a thot it my head right now. Do any of you out there feel the same way?Awww I have the same thing , It very scarey , Im always worring something bad is going to happen , It is nice to know that Im not the only one , BUt I cant even do many of the things I love cause Im always scared TTYL Ally
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2007
    • 08:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey, it sounds like you need a friend right now and so do I. Dont give up. Life is too short for that. I have had panic attacks my whole life. My mom was mean to me. She would hit me and cut me down. Here is my daughter,she is 16. She knows the right things to say.......Hey, i know how if feels to have all the pressure around you and you don't know how to stop it. Like at school theres alot of peer pressure to do the absolute dumbest things, but you don't realize it till after you think it's too late. This summer i wen't to a church camp called centrifuge, well it turned my life around, you may not know about God, but he's there and that's how i know theres hope. Theres this verse ( Jeremiah 29:11) that talks about how he has a plan for you, even if you've had a bad start, you can use your situation to help those around you, that are in the same situation that you were in. So if you were to say lose a loved one, God has obviously prepared that time for them. You are going through this so it will make you a stronger person. Suicide is not the answer, it can't be.. you could make someone happy one day, or become someone great, even if you aren't famous or won a nobel prize. I don't know exactly what you've been through, but i can tell you that there is someone else out there that has it worse. Let me tell you a little story my preacher told me..... there was this guy who had been through a really tough time in his life and he starts walking along the beach and he cries out to God, "where have you been all this time", he looks beside him and sees no other foot prints in the sand, God speaks to him, those one set of footprints you see are mine carying you all along. If you need to talk to just me ,not my mother,( if you know how the parentals are)lal, since i am your age and it may or may not help you more, write me at Muddn2323@yahoo.com, or look me up on myspace as, ALLYSSA CRABTREE>, k well g2g ~ABC~P>S. GOD BLESS< (THAT RHYMED)
    amy hoskins 17 Replies
    • January 30, 2007
    • 01:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Oh and do you have myspace and if so tell me and your name if it's not lemsky. k,
    amy hoskins 17 Replies
    • January 30, 2007
    • 01:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi im 19, I get panic attacks about four times a week. My heart beats faster and sometimes I even think i am dying. when I am sleeping sometimes I stop breathing in the middle of the night almost like I forget how to breath and cant get air. Ive had chest pains for a while and now I have been getting sharp pains and feel pressure in my brain. Does anyone have an Idea what is wrong with me. It seems like there's always something.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • A wonderful site that helped mehttp://panicdisorder.about.com/cs/shrelaxation/ht/relaxdesk.htm
  • It looks like you guys have not written in a while but start writting agian! I had my first panic acttack 3 days a ago and still can not get over the feeling. However I do not want this to ruin my life. I am 23 years old and have a great son. Sometimes I am so scared I will be a non functioning person. But lets keep writting and helping each other!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 18, 2007
    • 11:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello All-I also suffered my first anxiety attack two years ago following sinus surgery. I thought perhaps it was due to the medication from surgery or from having a cup of coffee from starbucks - as I don't drink regular coffee. I have since removed myself from all coffee (all cafeine products) as that is also a trigger I have noticed. I've had several attacks and have even woke up from a dead sleep and had one as well as when driving. ER's don't like it when you show up there - they treat you like you are not worthy of being there like your problem is insignificant. My blood pressure has sometimes risen over 220 which in itself is frightning deadly dangerous! I also have been told to breath in a paper bag- tried it but it I didn't notice anything. What I have noticed is that exercise has really helped. I now walk a min of 1 mile a day, or exercise doing yoga or aerobics at least 3-5 days a week which is really helping. Along with that when I notice symptoms of an attack coming on I simply meditate to breath slowly and I count to 100 which takes my mind off my rapid heart beat and this really helps as well and stops me from having the attack all together since it goes away pretty fast. I also have meds as a stand by (Lorazapam) and would take Xanax which was a tremendous help but I was alergic to that so I had to stop Xanax so as you can see there are many things you can do to help yourself but see a doc about your problem is the first step toward resolution to your problem, hope this helps someone out there...:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 23, 2007
    • 05:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 15 and I have to same problems. I will be in a good mood and then suddenly during class I start to feel hopless, anxious, or as though i am about to faint. I too suffer from panic Disorder.
    Oingo7Boingo 4 Replies
    • January 11, 2008
    • 06:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I found that taking huge amounts of zinc and b6 helped aswell as 30 minute runs to help release serotonins.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 21, 2008
    • 05:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,I am 29 and have had panic attacks for around 3 years but only found out about anxiety disorder through my own research. I have had some very scary nights when I thought I was having a heart attack and could not breath. I have experienced a lot of the sensations associated with panic attacks. I have now found what i believe to be the answer - its called the linden method. i have only read a bit of it and already i can beat an attack before it takes hold - i no longer get the chest pains because i know now that they arent really heart pains and they cant hurt me. i only really lapse when i have a hangover from alocohol in a stressful situation, however when i learn how to do the method in full i hope that will be an end to this horrible disorder - i never plan on taking any medication - no way!!all you need to do is empower yourself and understand this behavioural disorder in order to beat it. I used to panic to the point of being besidemyself with fear before getting on a flight but now i love the experience of plane travel. anyway hope this gives a bit of help.
  • I have had panic attacks in the past. I haven't had one in a long time but I get alot of very strange symptoms. I do have anxiety. No matter what weird symptom I get, I think it is the worse thing possible. Example....I get chest pain I think its a heart attack or lung ca. I get numbness on one side of my face and I think its a stroke. I get a headache and I assume its a brain tumor. I think I've had every possible test for all of these serious diseases and everything has been normal. I still believe I have something and the doctors just aren't finding it. One thing I do know is that I tried every possible medication for depression and none of them work. In fact, they caused more side effects then they were worth. I believe this type of medication only works for people who have a chemical imbalance which causes depression. The only relief I have got is from Clonopin. They have helped me more than any other medication I have tried. They are supposedly addictive but I have been on the same dose for years and I haven't had any problems. Your physician, like mine will probably keep track of how much you take, but like I said, it's the only drug that helped me. Talk to your doctor.
    mrnbotelho 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement