Discussions By Condition: Fertility conditions

Teen Pregnancy

Posted In: Fertility conditions 20 Replies
  • Posted By: Myshkin
  • October 19, 2008
  • 01:50 PM

Hi all, I come to you seeking answers.
When I Google "teenage pregnancy," all I get is public service announcements and preaching.

I'm fifteen years old, and my significant other and I want to have a baby.
I realize that I'm young, and young people tend to regret things. I also know that lots of men (read: boys) don't know what they want and tend to abandon their women. However, I am also aware that I'm emotionally ready for any outcome, he and I are financially stable, and he won't leave me. With this in mind, please don't try to persuade me to reconsider.

Now, onto the question!
Will my age negatively affect the fetus/baby?

The reason I ask is because all of the statistics that suggest this take into consideration the fact that most teenage mothers don't take care of themselves during pregnancy, and neglect the child during its formative years.
I wouldn't do this. I would find an obstetrician and do all it would take to ensure the good health of my baby. So, despite my efforts, would being so young still cause premature birth/defects etc? I know that women over 35 face problems related to birth defects and such, but am I risking it, too?

If it's not too much to ask, I'd like to see some sources, as well.

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• There are a lot of risks for you to get pregnant at the age of 15, your body is not fully developed yet and won't be until you are in your 20s which can lead to you going into labor before your baby is full term, so your baby can be premature or be of low birth weight, you can develop anemia, and you can have a higher chance of having a miscarriage, etc. Do a search for teen pregnangy complications or teen pregnancy risks to see more information or go talk to a doctor at somewhere like planned parenthood. Why do you want to have a baby right now? Why not wait for a few more years?
    SpineGirl 64 Replies
    • October 29, 2008
    • 04:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • 'He wont leave me'.I'm a guy and i've had a kid young and trust me falling out of love happens or friends happen or another chemistry happens for another girl, but suit yourself. I'd love for you to write back and tell me the baby pregnancy is off.Expectant mother, would you like-(1) A baby that is so strong and vigorous at birth ?(2) To be able to hold your weight within normal limits while pregnant ?(3) A short labor with a quick recovery ? (well who wouldn't?)then are you willing to-eliminate sugar, white flour and milk from your diet ?eat soft cheese, rye bread and cornbread ?eat atleast one egg a day ?eat liver heart or tripe once a week ?eat two raw vegetables a day ?eat nuts frequently?avoid citrus fruit and juice ?drink grape, apple or cranberry juice ?take 2 teaspoons of honey with each meal ?eat 1 avocado a day ?For all the reasons why get these 2 books;(1) Why raise Ugly kids Hal A. hggins(2) Farmacists Desk Reference Don Tolmantrust me you will get more than what you need to know about teenage pregnancy from conception to 18 yrs old !!!!!! :)
    scottyboy10 4 Replies
    • October 29, 2008
    • 05:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • There are a lot of risks for you to get pregnant at the age of 15, your body is not fully developed yet and won't be until you are in your 20s which can lead to you going into labor before your baby is full term, so your baby can be premature or be of low birth weight, you can develop anemia, and you can have a higher chance of having a miscarriage, etc. Do a search for teen pregnangy complications or teen pregnancy risks to see more information or go talk to a doctor at somewhere like planned parenthood. Why do you want to have a baby right now? Why not wait for a few more years?Thanks for your reply.I don't quite understand why the fact that my body isn't fully developed would cause premature birth. Also, isn't low birth weight caused by not eating enough/the right foods?I read that before 35, the risk of miscarriage is significantly lower.Why do I want to have a baby right now? Well, I suppose the answer is not so simple as to succinctly relay it in a forum post. First of all, I'm so deeply in love with my significant other. I know this seems to be a naive reason. I'm not saying it justifies the decision, since a lot of relationships don't work out in the end; I'm just being honest here. Biologically, love yields babies.I want to be a part of that, and no one knows where I'll be four or five years from now. I am not wholly convinced that I'll be as prepared for pregnancy as I currently am.Again, I very much appreciate the input.
    Myshkin 5 Replies
    • October 29, 2008
    • 08:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for your reply. I don't quite understand why the fact that my body isn't fully developed would cause premature birth. Also, isn't low birth weight caused by not eating enough/the right foods?At 15 you are still growing and maturing, if you get pregnant and your uterus is not fully developed your body could force you into labor before you are full term. There are a number of things that could cause low birth weight, your diet is one of them. I read that before 35, the risk of miscarriage is significantly lower.That is true, but there is also a risk if you are too young as well. Why do I want to have a baby right now? Well, I suppose the answer is not so simple as to succinctly relay it in a forum post. First of all, I'm so deeply in love with my significant other. I know this seems to be a naive reason. I'm not saying it justifies the decision, since a lot of relationships don't work out in the end; I'm just being honest here. Biologically, love yields babies.I want to be a part of that, and no one knows where I'll be four or five years from now. I am not wholly convinced that I'll be as prepared for pregnancy as I currently am. Again, I very much appreciate the input.If you don't know where you will be in 4 or 5 years then do you really want to have 4 or 5 year old at that point? Just out of curiousity, you said that you and your significant other are financially stable, how old is he, what does he do for a living? Do you plan on finishing school after you have a baby?
    SpineGirl 64 Replies
    • October 30, 2008
    • 03:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • 'He wont leave me'.I'm a guy and i've had a kid young and trust me falling out of love happens or friends happen or another chemistry happens for another girl, but suit yourself. I'd love for you to write back and tell me the baby pregnancy is off.Expectant mother, would you like-(1) A baby that is so strong and vigorous at birth ?(2) To be able to hold your weight within normal limits while pregnant ?(3) A short labor with a quick recovery ? (well who wouldn't?)then are you willing to-eliminate sugar, white flour and milk from your diet ?eat soft cheese, rye bread and cornbread ?eat atleast one egg a day ?eat liver heart or tripe once a week ?eat two raw vegetables a day ?eat nuts frequently?avoid citrus fruit and juice ?drink grape, apple or cranberry juice ?take 2 teaspoons of honey with each meal ?eat 1 avocado a day ?For all the reasons why get these 2 books;(1) Why raise Ugly kids Hal A. hggins(2) Farmacists Desk Reference Don Tolmantrust me you will get more than what you need to know about teenage pregnancy from conception to 18 yrs old !!!!!! :)I understand that falling out of love happens often. Honestly, I don't see it happening to us, but in the event that it does, I will have enough support to get through it.I'm pretty excited about the list you just wrote because I never eat refined sugars/flour, love rye, always eat vegetables/eggs/nuts/beans/avocado (which I know is technically a nut)/honey/fruits.Seems like I have most of it down. I am also prepared to slowly start adding meat and fish to my diet. It'll be a big change but I'd do it to ensure that the fetus gets every possible nutritional advantage.Thank you for your response and the book recommendations!
    Myshkin 5 Replies
    • October 30, 2008
    • 11:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • If you don't know where you will be in 4 or 5 years then do you really want to have 4 or 5 year old at that point?Well, yes. It's a little tricky to explain, but once I'm *in* something serious, I invest all of my effort. I know that once I start raising a child, the bond will be strong and fulfilling. Just out of curiousity, you said that you and your significant other are financially stable, how old is he, what does he do for a living? Do you plan on finishing school after you have a baby?He's 21, and he's in law enforcement. Not the "dangerous" sort; he's a border officer.I plan on doing a highschool correspondence program - kind of like homeschooling but with a solid public school curriculum.Once I get my highschool diploma, I'll see whether or not I want to take university courses/GED/whathaveyou. If all works out with my boyfriend, I won't need to have a career at all, buta) it might NOT work outand/or b) I might want to do something useful in addition to parenting.
    Myshkin 5 Replies
    • October 30, 2008
    • 11:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • 'He wont leave me'.I'm a guy and i've had a kid young and trust me falling out of love happens or friends happen or another chemistry happens for another girl, but suit yourself. I'd love for you to write back and tell me the baby pregnancy is off.Expectant mother, would you like-(1) A baby that is so strong and vigorous at birth ?(2) To be able to hold your weight within normal limits while pregnant ?(3) A short labor with a quick recovery ? (well who wouldn't?)then are you willing to-eliminate sugar, white flour and milk from your diet ?eat soft cheese, rye bread and cornbread ?eat atleast one egg a day ?eat liver heart or tripe once a week ?eat two raw vegetables a day ?eat nuts frequently?avoid citrus fruit and juice ?drink grape, apple or cranberry juice ?take 2 teaspoons of honey with each meal ?eat 1 avocado a day ?For all the reasons why get these 2 books;(1) Why raise Ugly kids Hal A. hggins(2) Farmacists Desk Reference Don Tolmantrust me you will get more than what you need to know about teenage pregnancy from conception to 18 yrs old !!!!!! :)I understand that falling out of love happens often. Honestly, I don't see it happening to us, but in the event that it does, I will have enough support to get through it.I'm pretty excited about the list you just wrote because I never eat refined sugars/flour, love rye, always eat vegetables/eggs/nuts/beans/avocado (which I know is technically a nut)/honey/fruits.Seems like I have most of it down. I am also prepared to slowly start adding meat and fish to my diet. It'll be a big change but I'd do it to ensure that the fetus gets every possible nutritional advantage.Thank you for your response and the book recommendations!
    Myshkin 5 Replies
    • October 30, 2008
    • 11:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well, yes. It's a little tricky to explain, but once I'm *in* something serious, I invest all of my effort. I know that once I start raising a child, the bond will be strong and fulfilling. He's 21, and he's in law enforcement. Not the "dangerous" sort; he's a border officer.I plan on doing a high school correspondence program - kind of like homeschooling but with a solid public school curriculum.Once I get my highschool diploma, I'll see whether or not I want to take university courses/GED/whathaveyou. If all works out with my boyfriend, I won't need to have a career at all, buta) it might NOT work outand/or b) I might want to do something useful in addition to parenting.Ok, I see where you are coming from and I get it. But what happens if you and your boyfriend breakup in a year? or 2 years? You are going to be stuck raising an infant by yourself? Have you thought all this through? Is your boyfriend ready to be a parent? Does he understand all that comes with being a parent? Have you attended parenting classes? Have you thought all the ifs, ands, ands buts through? I am 22, and I am constantly thinking what would happen if I got pregnant with my boyfriend, it's a struggle for me and I'd hate for you to get stuck in some predicament that you don't know what to do with and I have been working with infants for years and am still working in the medical field. I am more than capable of being of being a parent but I don't know if that is something that I want to do right now.
    SpineGirl 64 Replies
    • October 31, 2008
    • 04:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ok, I see where you are coming from and I get it. But what happens if you and your boyfriend breakup in a year? or 2 years? You are going to be stuck raising an infant by yourself? Have you thought all this through? Is your boyfriend ready to be a parent? Does he understand all that comes with being a parent? Have you attended parenting classes? Have you thought all the ifs, ands, ands buts through? In the event of a breakup, which is unlikely because my boyfriend is the most responsible person I have ever met, I would have my mother to help me raise the baby.He's ready to become a parent. He pretty much was a father figure for his youngest brother. We haven't taken parenting classes, but the idea sounds interesting.I am 22, and I am constantly thinking what would happen if I got pregnant with my boyfriend, it's a struggle for me and I'd hate for you to get stuck in some predicament that you don't know what to do with and I have been working with infants for years and am still working in the medical field. I am more than capable of being of being a parent but I don't know if that is something that I want to do right now.Yes, I understand that there are people older than me who don't know if they want to have children immediately. That is, however, what I want and know I am mentally prepared. I'd be skeptical of this apparently overconfident teenager myself, but as it happens, I know myself pretty well.Also I hope if you guys decide to have a baby you'll be the happiest couple in the world.
    Myshkin 5 Replies
    • October 31, 2008
    • 11:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello I am about your same age and think that you are making a horrible life decision. Having a child is a huge responsibility and I know you think you are ready but it is my strong opinion that you haven't thought is all the way through. Having a baby is a life changing experience and do you really want to deal with the hardships of raising a child now when you should be transitioning from childhood to adulthood.If you are ready to have a child now, I think you would ready to have a child when you are a little older as well. My friend thought she was ready to have a child with her boyfriend and after she made that decision, I have lost contact with her. She thought that her boyfriend could support a family but she ended up having to move to a bad part of town and cannot afford internet or a cellphone plan/Ok I know that you did not start this post to receive judgement on your decision but please reconsider.Physically there are several problems with having children at a young age (these are taken from personal experience because I grew up in a culture where having children at a young age was the norm)*high risk for preterm birth (because young mother's body cannot handle the added stress)*risk for infant to suffer SIDS*young bodies cannot handle having childrenIf you would like to know more about how your 15-year old body will handle having a child please look up cases of vaginal reconstructive surgery of girls who have children at young ages.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 18, 2008
    • 03:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You at least should wait until you're of legal age to have sex with him (you said he was 22). If the law enforcement finds out that he fathered the baby of a 15 year old girl, he's going to prison.
    thesage 10 Replies
    • February 25, 2009
    • 05:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Changing the way you see things can also change your reality. You can create your own rules for changing your reality.Jimmy
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Let's forget about 9:00 to 5:00 for a minute. We spend lots of energy making sure that we are efficient and productive during the workday. But what about AFTER the workday? Do you find yourself keeping your nose to the grindstone and working diligently throughout the day only to have it all unravel when you step through the door at home?Jimmy
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • In the event of a breakup, which is unlikely because my boyfriend is the most responsible person I have ever met, I would have my mother to help me raise the baby. Have you actually talked to your mother about this?? Is she truely ok with it??? Also how are youiliving together alone, taking care of one another or are you still living with your parents??? If you are not living together with your partner and solely taking care of each other.. I dont think you would have a true idea of all the work which goes into things. You need to make sure you can cope with these basics before having a child. Running a household and going to school as well (even i it's only correspondance) IS HARD. I know this as I was there myself.. and my partner was always there to help me. (umm well until he left) I dont know the statistics of premature births to teens but know that me and my sisters all had premature births or near premature one at 34 weeks, 37 weeks for my young sisters (who were actually older than you at 16 and 17 yrs) and i myself had my daughter just on 37 weeks at 17 yrs old. Do yourself and your future baby a favour and wait and there ARE extra risks to having a baby too young (both to yourself and the child) as there are to having a baby when too old. Planning something like this right now can be seen as a selfish thing and not truely thinking about your future child
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • I did some searching to try to find out how bad this higher risk was. From my reading.. at your age, it is considered a high risk pregnancy. ................. please check out the following http://www.infoforhealth.org/pr/j41/j41chap2_3.shtml "Health Risks of Early Pregnancy When a woman is too young, pregnancy—wanted or unwanted—can be dangerous for both mother and infant. Complications of childbirth and unsafe abortion are among the main causes of death for women under age 20 (394, 439, 461). Even under optimal conditions, young mothers, especially those under age 17, are more likely than women in their 20s to suffer pregnancy-related complications and to die in childbirth " "Cephalopelvic disproportion is common in very young women whose pelvic growth is not complete and women of any age who are of small stature because childhood malnutrition stunted their growth (281, 330). " "Iron-deficiency anemia is particularly common among pregnant women, and young pregnant women are more likely than older women to be anemic, even in developed countries. For example, an analysis of eight US clinical studies found that pregnant women under age 20 were twice as likely to be anemic as older women " "Higher risks for infants. Pregnancy before age 20 also poses risk to the young woman's infant. Data from Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS) and other studies show that mortality and morbidity rates are higher among infants born to young mothers (468). Young mothers, especially those under age 15, have higher rates of premature labor, spontaneous abortion, stillbirth, and low birth weight infants (161, 314, 329, 353, 394, 428, 432, 434, 464, 493, 538). For the infant who survives, the higher risk of death persists throughout early childhood" ........... quotes from other places. "There are known health consequences of teen-age pregnancy, as well. Adolescents often delay seeking prenatal care, have poor prenatal health behaviors, and give birth to low birth-weight infants. Even healthy infants born to teen-age mothers are at increased risk of neonatal death."................. "There is a greater risk for loss, preterm labour and stillbirth associated with very young women who get pregnant. However as far as that goes it would be beneficial to have this type of pregnancy monitored either by a high risk OB who specializes in children, or an obstetrician who understands the unique needs of the teenager. These needs are mostly nutrition and lifestyle related, although there can also be some hormonal issues if the girl is still menstruating irregularly at the time of conception. " " so wait a couple of more years for your childs sake. It isnt showing maturity to ignore all that and go into what is known as a high risk pregnancy on purpose.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi all, I come to you seeking answers.When I Google "teenage pregnancy," all I get is public service announcements and preaching.I'm fifteen years old, and my significant other and I want to have a baby.I realize that I'm young, and young people tend to regret things. I also know that lots of men (read: boys) don't know what they want and tend to abandon their women. However, I am also aware that I'm emotionally ready for any outcome, he and I are financially stable, and he won't leave me. With this in mind, please don't try to persuade me to reconsider.Now, onto the question!Will my age negatively affect the fetus/baby?The reason I ask is because all of the statistics that suggest this take into consideration the fact that most teenage mothers don't take care of themselves during pregnancy, and neglect the child during its formative years.I wouldn't do this. I would find an obstetrician and do all it would take to ensure the good health of my baby. So, despite my efforts, would being so young still cause premature birth/defects etc? I know that women over 35 face problems related to birth defects and such, but am I risking it, too?If it's not too much to ask, I'd like to see some sources, as well.As far as I know, age of pregnancy has factor on child's health when it was born. That's why being in early pregnancy should be avoided as much as possible. A woman must be EMOTIONALLY and PHYSICALLY ready for pregnancy.
    FrisArvz 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi there I had my baby when i was just 16 firstly i would advise you against it as i too said i was quite capable but its really hardwork emotionally and mentally my baby is now 12 but the desicion is yoursnow to your question no there is no proof that your age will effect your baby i had a healthy 9lb 1 oz baby boy very healthy indeed but during my pregnancy my mum was extremely worried about me as she had a friend who at 15 got pregnant but unfortunately her and baby died during child birth as the outcome was that the girls body was too young to and not strong enough to cope with childbirth, which had i heard this information before i got pregnant i may have reconsidered even now i have my son and everything was ok i still would consider that story I hope you make the right desicion as there will be no going back take care:)
    babymort 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Teen Pregnancy should be avoided. Girls below 20 are not physically prepared for giving birth to a baby.various complication arises such as underweight baby,anemia etc.they can not bear labor pains.The right age for being pregnant is after 20.:):)
    robertgritt87 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • How did your and his parents react when you told them about your decision? How old is your boyfriend?
    jay.johnson 1 Replies
    • August 11, 2009
    • 01:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi all, I come to you seeking answers.When I Google "teenage pregnancy," all I get is public service announcements and preaching.I'm fifteen years old, and my significant other and I want to have a baby.I realize that I'm young, and young people tend to regret things. I also know that lots of men (read: boys) don't know what they want and tend to abandon their women. However, I am also aware that I'm emotionally ready for any outcome, he and I are financially stable, and he won't leave me. With this in mind, please don't try to persuade me to reconsider.Now, onto the question!Will my age negatively affect the fetus/baby?The reason I ask is because all of the statistics that suggest this take into consideration the fact that most teenage mothers don't take care of themselves during pregnancy, and neglect the child during its formative years.I wouldn't do this. I would find an obstetrician and do all it would take to ensure the good health of my baby. So, despite my efforts, would being so young still cause premature birth/defects etc? I know that women over 35 face problems related to birth defects and such, but am I risking it, too?If it's not too much to ask, I'd like to see some sources, as well.Dealing with an unplanned pregnancy can be scary and confusing. Some of the emotions that you may encounter when facing an unplanned pregnancy are: Initial excitement, Confusion, Fear, Resentment, Frustration. It's a natural response for you to think about and want to protect the baby that is growing inside you. It is also natural for you to be scared and confused about how to deal with this unplanned pregnancy.
    nene790 13 Replies
    • October 28, 2009
    • 01:48 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement