Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Numbness in foot and pain in leg

Posted In: Medical Stories 12 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 10, 2008
  • 03:11 PM

I have been having numbness in my foot and pain in my leg for about 3 weeks now. The pain extends from my groin and hip area. My thigh feels sore, my calf has random pain as does my foot when it is not numb. The pain changes and it is not always in the same area. My foot when it is numb is either a feeling of pins and needles or being out in the cold too long like frost bite.
My doctor sent me for a x-ray saying it was probably a pinched nerve, but the x-ray came back normal. Now he wants me to go to physical therapy. He prescribed Napresen but it isn't helping.
Does any one have any ideas? The pain and numbness seems to be getting worse.

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• Do you have any back problems.Never heard of an xray being able to find nerve problems.Only ct scan and mri.That is probably were you need to start.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 10, 2008
    • 03:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • No back pain at all. I didn't think the x-ray would show that, but why do it then? Thanks for the suggestion.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 10, 2008
    • 04:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Is it just one of the legs? Left or right? How old are you? Male or female? Does it help having your legs higher up? Do you have the pain when you wake up in the morning?
    Felsen 510 Replies
    • October 10, 2008
    • 08:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It was one leg now it's both legs. But it isn't constant and there doesn't seem to be anything that makes it better...standing, siting, heat, raising it, etc. I am a 28 year old female.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2008
    • 05:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • In which leg did it start? Do you see any swelling, especially aound the ankle? Do you have any varicose veins?
    Felsen 510 Replies
    • October 12, 2008
    • 07:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It started in my right leg and goes from the bottom of my foot up to my hip and groin area. No I don't have any swelling in either leg, but I do have vericose veins in both.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2008
    • 10:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It could be a real long shot, but I’ll mention it anyway. There is a condition called May-Thurner syndrome. It is when the right iliac artery compresses the left iliac vein against the spine. This causes the blood to congest in the left leg because it can not normally pass the compression on its way back to the heart. It dos not necessarily results in the pain at the compression site (if it does it gives a lower back pain), most often it causes pain or swelling or both in the left leg. If you have a compression like this, after a while your circulatory system is trying to develop alternative veins. They are called collateral veins. Most often there are transpelvis collaterals (horizontal ones from left to right in pelvis), but some patients can develop them near the spine or even inside it. Then it can give pressure on nerves and give numbness and tingling sensation in legs. Another typical symptom is ambulating pain, the pain moves around depending on where the pressure is high at the moment. This can sometimes be seen in the right leg, because of different individual anatomy. This condition is vastly underdiagnosed. It is impossible to discover with ultrasound and even difficult to discover with venography (phlebography). The only certain way to discover it is by means of intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) where the probe is inside the vein. The best research has been done by Neglén and Raju in Jackson, Miss. The treatment is to put a stent inside the vein at the site of the compression. The typical patient is a young – middle-aged woman, previously healthy where the doctors have not found other explanation for the symptoms. Could this possibly help? The best of luck!
    Felsen 510 Replies
    • October 13, 2008
    • 00:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you. I have an MRI of my lumbar spine scheduled, but I will keep this in mind if it the MRI doesn't reveal anything.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2008
    • 00:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • In which leg did it start? Do you see any swelling, especially aound the ankle? Do you have any varicose veins?When i get up in the morning and stand at one place for some time, my left foot starts feeling icy-cold, gets numb and the numbness moves upwards along the left leg. Sometimes the ball and socket joint of my left hip becomes so painful. Pain and numbness subsides when i walk around a lot. Just about two weeks now, I have noticed a swelling that is not painful on my left wrist. Looks like a varicose vein.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2009
    • 04:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Do you mean left ankle or left wrist? Are you male, Ike? How old are you?
    Felsen 510 Replies
    • February 22, 2009
    • 11:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Do you have any back problems.Never heard of an xray being able to find nerve problems.Only ct scan and mri.That is probably were you need to start.You can now see pain on mris.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have severe leg pain when i try to sit.( i have to stand while i type). yesterday i went to the walk in clinic after experiancing the worst cramp in my life. (i am a 41 year old female). the cramp started in the back left upper part of my leg.the doctor told me told me cramping is a common thing and gave me some tylenol. i also had cooling numbness in my left foot(pins and needles)which he explained by saying i should take slower-deeper-breaths. it is almost 40 hours later and i still feel incredible pain in my leg and the cramps are still persisting, the numbness in my foot is still there as well.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2010
    • 11:51 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement