Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Anxiety/depression or more?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 17 Replies
  • Posted By: JennNYC
  • October 7, 2008
  • 07:50 PM

I originally had this under "tell us your medical story" but I thought this was a better place to put it...

About a year and a half ago, I started having stomach problems (no appetite, nausea, some vomiting, heartburn, lightheadedness, etc) so I went to my dr and was put on nexium for GERD. After it didn't help, I was given an endoscopy that found nothing wrong. I lost 25 pounds in the course of about 4 months.

When I went back to my dr for the 3rd time in 2 months, he suggested that my problem may not be stomach-related, it was anxiety related and suggested I see a psychiatrist. I was going through some family stuff at the time and instead saw a psychologist (not ready to admit I needed meds). Working with her for 6 months, we "unpacked a lot of baggage" and since I still had some physical symptoms (the lightheadedness, periods of no appetite, general moodiness and some pain issues), I decided to see the psychiatrist to see if meds would help.

The psych gave me Lexapro, which I took 5 mg for a week then 10mg. Well, I never felt worse! I got headaches, felt disconnected from everyone and everything around me, had strange jaw clenching and parathesia at all times (hands and mouth), had positively murderous thoughts when I was woken up by BF's snoring, and I barely slept. I decided after a month to stop, and informed the psych I was going to wean myself off. She instead told me to switch to Zoloft, so I did and experienced many of the same issues. I stopped for good about 3 weeks ago.

My overall issue is that the lightheadedness/dizziness hasn't gone away, as most of the physical symptoms I started out with. And to boot, the lexapro withdrawal is giving me hot flashes! I'm 36, I shouldn't have hot flashes yet. Anyway, I'm starting to wonder if the lightheadedness is all in my head (ha ha) or if there are some real medical issues behind it. I saw a neurologist for the headaches but she said my xrays were normal.

I'm unsure if I should start over with a new doctor? However, I feel my dr did a great job of listening to my complaints and doing tests and probably has accurately diagnosed my condition. But...the lightheadedness/dizziness is driving me nuts. Help/suggestions?

Reply Flag this Discussion

17 Replies:

• Ask your psych about Bipolar II.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 10, 2008
    • 09:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks, I don't think it's either of those. I had lyme tests and other immune tests earlier this year and they were normal. I've lived in NYC for a few years so I don't think they just got around to putting up a tower. But thanks for your input.
    JennNYC 14 Replies
    • October 12, 2008
    • 09:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Your symptoms are the same of many people I have talked to. Your problem consists of several stresses to your body. Among them is stress to the digestive system and improper absorbtion of nutrients. These can be helped. Could I ask what state you live in?:)
    Nutritionist7 16 Replies
    • October 12, 2008
    • 10:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Your symptoms are the same of many people I have talked to. Your problem consists of several stresses to your body. Among them is stress to the digestive system and improper absorbtion of nutrients. These can be helped. Could I ask what state you live in?:) I live in NY.
    JennNYC 14 Replies
    • October 13, 2008
    • 00:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • there are some healthy living habits that can help a person get through difficult situations in life.1. learning to relaxdeep breathing exercise and meditation can help remove tension 2. making a problem lista big problem may seem less difficult to handle when broken up into smaller, achievable tasks. Set short-term goals that can be reached 3. Exercisephysical activities help us to relax. You will feel more positive if you more fit 4. taking a breakthis help to get you out of a rut and you will return feeling more refreshed.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 13, 2008
    • 03:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Am I correct in assuming that you still have all of the symptoms? Are there any other symptoms?:)
    Nutritionist7 16 Replies
    • October 13, 2008
    • 04:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Am I correct in assuming that you still have all of the symptoms? Are there any other symptoms?:) Still experiencing many of the symptoms on a daily basis.
    JennNYC 14 Replies
    • October 13, 2008
    • 05:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • What medications and supplements are you currently taking?
    Nutritionist7 16 Replies
    • October 13, 2008
    • 09:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • What medications and supplements are you currently taking? I no longer take the nexium but I do take prevacid on an as-needed basis (maybe 1-2x week). I also take a daily Centrum multivitamin. Otherwise, I take claritin now and again for environmental allergies (dust, tree pollen, grasses). I also use nuvaring monthly. Since this all started happening, my diet has changed so that I'm eating less meat and less fat and more carbs and veggies. I'm still hoping to lose more weight (I'm a sz 16) sensibly.
    JennNYC 14 Replies
    • October 13, 2008
    • 09:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Does the light headed feeling and dizzines go away if you eat a piece of candy?
    Nutritionist7 16 Replies
    • October 15, 2008
    • 09:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Does the light headed feeling and dizzines go away if you eat a piece of candy? No, it doesn't seem connected to when I eat.
    JennNYC 14 Replies
    • October 15, 2008
    • 01:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Jenn, I agree with Blaze, check out the Lyme sites. You probably need a Lyme test with a specialized lab like Igenex. Most commercial labs don't have the sophisticated testing and sensitivity testing. In general... you will most likely ALWAYS get a negative with a local lab. Don't be like me and wait for many years before you get a decent test. Lyme is very, very tricky... it took me 16 years to finally SEE a LLMD... Lyme Literate Medical Doctor... and I am finally on treatment. Prior to this I was dx'ed with MS, Lupus, RA, migraine, CFS, FMS and several other things. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2008
    • 09:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Please always remember is that any symptom we experience is our bodies telling us we are being stressed. I have had clients for 10 years with similar symptoms and all have returned to normal. All of the symptoms you state (no appetite, nausea, some vomiting, heartburn, lightheadedness, environmental allergies (dust, tree pollen, grasses), anxiety, depression, general moodiness and some pain issues, etc) can be related to a nutritional issues and stress on your system. You mention that you are taking Centrum daily. You need to be aware that the vitamins / minerals in Centrum are less than 10% bioavailable. In addition the type of minerals used are known to create free radicals in your intestines which then react with anti-oxidants such as the vitamin C and E. This means that there is less of these vitamins that are available for the rest of your body. Minimum you need to start on a high quality multi-vitamin and mineral. You should be taking in addition 1500 mg of Calcium daily. This needs to be a seperate supplement from the multi-vitamin. In considering other vitamins be aware that one-a-day has similar attributes. Second you should take a probiotic. This is basically the good bacteria that inhabits your intestinal tract. If these bacteria are not at a proper level you will not be able to absorb nutrition properly. You also mention that you are eating "less meat and less fat and more carbs and veggies". Veggies are "Good" keep it up. Depending on the carbs they could be bad. Keep the amount of carbs to less than 55 grams of carbs a day and try to limit those to "low glycemic" carbs. This is relatively easy if you pick up one of the books available at your local bookstore on the glycemic index which will tell you what is acceptable and what you should limit. This will mean that you will end up increasing your meat and fat amount. Limit your red meat and don't worry about the amounts of chicken, turkey, or fish. Also remember that there is fat in certain foods like peanuts, olives, etc that are good for you. By limiting your carbs down you will most likely discover that your hearburn that you are having will decrease. Make sure you also add a proper amount of fruit in your diet. I realize that this is a fairly general recommendation but it is all I can give in this forum. If you would like more specific recommendations you can e-mail me at nutritionist7 @ live.com. I hope this information helps you. Please let me know if you need further assistance.
    Nutritionist7 16 Replies
    • October 16, 2008
    • 02:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,I have been going through a very hard time in my marriage for almost two years. Last year in march I experienced this condition and went to see the doctor and he prescribed Nuzak for me and the symptoms went away.Now the condition has come back again and it’s irritating me. I need help on this one.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • It happens in every one's life Idah..Most probably it will take atleast 5 years of time to get to know each other.. so on the whole try to adjust..
    kristy85 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have suffered from symptoms of lightheaded/dizziness as well as nausea and even vomiting when it is severe for my entire life. I saw countless doctors, and therapists and psychiatrists regarding these issues. I finally discovered that my problem is actually an eye condition and that what I needed was a pair of glasses with prisms. Most people don't discover this condition, or even have symptoms until much later in life than I did, and it worsens with age.Google Vertical Heterophoria Syndrome. The first thing that pops up is a website for a doctor in michigan who is pioneering to make this condition more known about. Most people with this issue are misdiagnosed with other issues. I also live in NYC, but grew up in Michigan, and I made a trip to see this doctor. I know where glasses and my symptoms are greatly diminished.
    sugarfreesweetp 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Dear Friend,Your C1 could be subluxated.See a cranio sacral therapist.Also do blood tests for Lyme disease (borrelia WB), rickettsia, Q fever, toxoplasma, bilharzia, CMV, EBV and Coxsackie.You might be gluten intolerant.Love,Dr B
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement