Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Anxiety/depression or more?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: JennNYC
  • October 7, 2008
  • 07:50 PM

I originally had this under "tell us your medical story" but I thought this was a better place to put it...

About a year and a half ago, I started having stomach problems (no appetite, nausea, some vomiting, heartburn, lightheadedness, etc) so I went to my dr and was put on nexium for GERD. After it didn't help, I was given an endoscopy that found nothing wrong. I lost 25 pounds in the course of about 4 months.

When I went back to my dr for the 3rd time in 2 months, he suggested that my problem may not be stomach-related, it was anxiety related and suggested I see a psychiatrist. I was going through some family stuff at the time and instead saw a psychologist (not ready to admit I needed meds). Working with her for 6 months, we "unpacked a lot of baggage" and since I still had some physical symptoms (the lightheadedness, periods of no appetite, general moodiness and some pain issues), I decided to see the psychiatrist to see if meds would help.

The psych gave me Lexapro, which I took 5 mg for a week then 10mg. Well, I never felt worse! I got headaches, felt disconnected from everyone and everything around me, had strange jaw clenching and parathesia at all times (hands and mouth), had positively murderous thoughts when I was woken up by BF's snoring, and I barely slept. I decided after a month to stop, and informed the psych I was going to wean myself off. She instead told me to switch to Zoloft, so I did and experienced many of the same issues. I stopped for good about 3 weeks ago.

My overall issue is that the lightheadedness/dizziness hasn't gone away, as most of the physical symptoms I started out with. And to boot, the lexapro withdrawal is giving me hot flashes! I'm 36, I shouldn't have hot flashes yet. Anyway, I'm starting to wonder if the lightheadedness is all in my head (ha ha) or if there are some real medical issues behind it. I saw a neurologist for the headaches but she said my xrays were normal.

I'm unsure if I should start over with a new doctor? However, I feel my dr did a great job of listening to my complaints and doing tests and probably has accurately diagnosed my condition. But...the lightheadedness/dizziness is driving me nuts. Help/suggestions?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement