Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Molluscom question

Posted In: Skin conditions 5 Replies
  • Posted By: readytowin
  • September 22, 2008
  • 02:00 PM

I've been fighting molluscom for about 5 months now. My question is how you know when your body has begun to show immunity to it. While I still get some full-fledged bumps, recently I've been getting slightly raised, red welts that never get a white head and go away by themselves after a couple of days. Can anyone tell me what it is like/what to expect when your body begins to fight them naturally? I am ready to win this!

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• Hi, I suffered from molluscom about 3 years ago. Literally, you just have to wait it out. I used tea tree on them as a recommendation by my doctor, and I found it really did help. I used tea tree facial wipes, I'd recommend giving them a go?I had molluscom on my legs, arms and chest. Luckily, none on my face. I made the mistake of often touching them and therefore spreading them before I was diagnosed. Under no circumstances touch them and touch someone else or another part of your body, in particular your face.Apparently the virus will stay in you forever, and there'll always be a chance of them returning once they're gone (or so I was told). I've been free for 3 years or more now though.Pretty much, mine started to scab over and get a bit painful. Eventually, they went very red and started to shrink in size, much like a typical spot. It wasn't so much that they fell off, but there'd be flakes falling off... it's hard to explain. If they're getting a bit painful and going red, your body is fighting them and they'll be gone within a few weeks.The only thing is, some of my bigger molluscom have left scars. They're not very noticeable though so don't worry.Well I hope this has helped, and good luck... it's a horrible disease and I hope they go away soon. I know how bad they are for your self confidence too, but just keep telling yourself they're not going to be there forever.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 28, 2008
    • 02:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you elthehorse, I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some encouragement. You are right, it mentally breaks you down. I just recently started the tea tree oil treatment and at least it "feels" like I am doing something about it. I just hope people don't smell it on me....it seems toxic! I do believe my body is beginning to fight new ones; I just need to be patient. To complicate matters, before I knew what I had, I passed it to my husband. Managing 2 cases of MCV is so very depressing. We are trying our best....no sex, no touching but we are on our 6th week of "waiting" (for the 2nd time) and still bumps appear. :mad: I am so very careful. I have no idea how I am spreading them. Thanks again....and knowing you have gone 3 years now...that really gives me light at the end of a very long tunnel. I am readytowin!
    readytowin 3 Replies
    • September 29, 2008
    • 01:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • can you give me a really good description of how they started out.. and what they look like now? please..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 3, 2008
    • 00:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sure thing. I was typically "shaved" so I was accustomed to seeing bumps or irritated hair follicles. I noticed one slightly raised bump with a white head in my pubic area. I thought it was a pimple, but it stayed for weeks, got bigger & I could not pop it by squeezing. It did not have any redness associated with it at that point, just a white head. It did not hurt or itch.Unfortunately I shaved again and by casually touching it for about a month, I am sure I spread it. Then, I just happened to have my annual pap exam. Once the Dr. told me what it was, on close examination, I could see lots of tiny white bumps basically in the direct line of the razor. I used a high power flashlight and a hand held mirror. They pop right out at you in the right light.Skin to skin contact, both with your fingers/legs touching or with another person will spread it. I am no expert, but I'd say they pop up 4-6 weeks after exposure, both the initial exposure and when you self-spread it. Thus, it is a long continuous cycle of new bumps.I gather they will just stay a white bump until your body begins to fight it, but I’ve read that creating some trauma in the area helps your body recognize it and start to fight it. So I started to pierce them with a sterilized needle and squeeze out the inners. Once pin-pricked, they get red and fester and sometimes develop another white head, which I pin-pricked again. They would slowly get better, like a big zit, in about 3 weeks. I think the tea tree oil speeds it up to 2 weeks once popped. They look red and nasty while they heal, but I did not pick at them in spite of obvious scabs. I don't think I have any scars.I hope your situation turns out not to be molluscom. It is the most maddening thing I have ever encountered. I would not wish it on my greatest enemy. All this suffering from something which is absolutely benign and not much more than acne. It sucks!!!! Good luck.
    readytowin 3 Replies
    • October 6, 2008
    • 09:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My friends daughter got rid of it by going to the beach.The water and sun dried it all out.Good luck Dr. just don't say the siple truth sometimes...It will work have faith..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement