Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Chronic Pins & Needles, Neurological Reactions On Skin with No Rash

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 22 Replies
  • Posted By: mineemee
  • September 17, 2008
  • 11:21 PM

Hello all,

Need your help with a serious medical issuei'm experiencing. During the last week In May 2008 I started to experience these random, weird and intense neurological reactions all over my body. They went away for a month and started again and remained since July. These are the reactions:

-Itchy skin, prickling, sharp jabs of pins-and-needles all over
-Tiny electrical shocks
-Tingling, stinging or deep burning pain perhaps bone or muscular
-Crawling or feeling of electric worms
-A sensation that I can only compare to a strand of thread dashing across and sometimes the feeling of eyelashes rubbing softly against the skin
-The best way to describe the ever present underlying irritation is the feeling of water drops falling down the skin after stepping out of the shower and the sensation of your skin drying before moisturizing.

I experience all of the above sensations day and night randomly all over my entire body. My back legs, my scalp, my eyes, my heels, everywhere it doesn’t discriminate. I should also add that I don’t have any rash or physical manifestation of these irritations which why I think it’s neurological.

I’ve seen a few doctors and a neurologist and had a few tests performed. As of May, I was only slightly anemic but still have taken major steps to improve that. Tests for other vitamin deficiencies, diabetes, lead poisoning, thyroid irregularities have been negative or normal. After having a negative MRI w/contrast result, Multiple Sclerosis (MS) has been ruled out. My neurologist is going to perform an EMG to test my neurological reactions. If that comes back normal then he said there is nothing he can do except to test me every year to make sure these symptoms do not develop into something worst. He also prescribed me a seizure medication, neurontin to possibly help with the pains however, I do not believe in just relieving symptoms. I’m trying to get down to the root of this. Plus neurontin has too many side effects.

I don’t take any medications nor do I ever do drugs ever- not occasionally, not once, never! I stress this because once I had a doctor who asked me a million times to tell him if I really did do drugs. I understand now that some drug addicts experience a similar neurological disruption, or crawling feeling aka formication or paresthesia. I do drink rarely, perhaps one glass of something about 4 times a year or less. I am also a bad health nut. Like I am a vegetarian but do not enough in the day however I’ve started to improve. I’ve gone back to raw food diet basically cutting back on flour, wheat and sugar and eating raw vegetables, hearty green salads and lots of fresh fruits.

To make the whole situation worst my sister who is not anemic, and healthier that I am started experiencing the same symptoms recently but not as intense. Since we live together, is it possible that these symptoms are results of something environmental that is affecting us? If this is so, how do I even begin to test my environment and for what? Or since we are genetically linked is there perhaps some other medical disease or disorders I should be looking for? Anyone experienced anything like this before?

Lastly, what are holistic or naturopathic things I can look do improve my neurological health? My course with medical doctors is nearing to an end and I know I have to approach this from a different perspective. The hardest thing that has been is to find a doctor who is both a medical (MD) & also a Naturopath doctor (ND) hear in the New York City or at least qualified naturopathic facilities that deal with the nervous system. Any leads with that can be so helpful.

Happy health to all!!!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

22 Replies:

• It could be shingles, without the outbreak; there is a specific term for it. You can also order a blood test http://www.arupconsult.com/Topics/InfectiousDz/Viruses/VZV.html#
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • September 18, 2008
    • 00:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It could be shingles, without the outbreak; there is a specific term for it. You can also order a blood test http://www.arupconsult.com/Topics/InfectiousDz/Viruses/VZV.html# Thanks, I thought of the shingles and ask my doctore about it. The shingles' symptoms are pretty major and I am only experiencing the tingling and nothing else. I doubt that this is the shingles.
    mineemee 13 Replies
    • September 18, 2008
    • 05:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks, I thought of the shingles and ask my doctore about it. The shingles' symptoms are pretty major and I am only experiencing the tingling and nothing else. I doubt that this is the shingles. any other leads?
    mineemee 13 Replies
    • September 21, 2008
    • 11:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Check multiple sclerosis symptoms.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 22, 2008
    • 00:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Check multiple sclerosis symptoms. so far i'm cleared for MS. I had an MRI done and everything was normal.
    mineemee 13 Replies
    • September 24, 2008
    • 06:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have similar symptoms and in my case it has turned out to be Aerotoxic syndrome from my job as a flight attendant. Anyone who is exposed to aircraft cabin air - passenger,pilot or cabin crew can experience this. Symptoms can start immediately or not until 8-10 days after the flight which is why lots of people don't make the connection with the flight. The organophosphate added to the engine oil leaks into the cabin air and is extremely toxic.Organophosphates are also in pesticides and flea sprays - have you been exposed to those?
    Trolleydolly 2 Replies
    • September 24, 2008
    • 10:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have similar symptoms and in my case it has turned out to be Aerotoxic syndrome from my job as a flight attendant. Anyone who is exposed to aircraft cabin air - passenger,pilot or cabin crew can experience this. Symptoms can start immediately or not until 8-10 days after the flight which is why lots of people don't make the connection with the flight. The organophosphate added to the engine oil leaks into the cabin air and is extremely toxic.Organophosphates are also in pesticides and flea sprays - have you been exposed to those? I don't fly but pesticides are in evertything. How did you treat your illness?
    mineemee 13 Replies
    • September 24, 2008
    • 01:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hello i'd like to know if there was a trauma or a muscle problem before you started to feel these symptoms. do you have any problem such as sweating, or other vasomotos disorders like color skin changes. you can have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome(Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy and Causalgia)
    paules86 18 Replies
    • September 24, 2008
    • 03:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hello i'd like to know if there was a trauma or a muscle problem before you started to feel these symptoms. do you have any problem such as sweating, or other vasomotos disorders like color skin changes. you can have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome(Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy and Causalgia) No trauma, no sweating, no skin changes. Nothing manifests physically. Its all internal.
    mineemee 13 Replies
    • September 24, 2008
    • 03:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes, there's a big chance it is something environmental - an exposure you both share. Get yourself an electrosmog detector - I think they sell them on amazon. Then see if an increase in exposure is what is triggering your symptoms - that's what I did, and it was. Can you tell me a bit more about your process? What triggered your symptoms and have your banished all electronics? What were your symptoms and how did you treat them? Did the symptoms go away completely? Thanks!
    mineemee 13 Replies
    • September 29, 2008
    • 00:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i had an emt done and it came out normal. i'm still experiencing the nerve reactions. still no changes.
    mineemee 13 Replies
    • November 9, 2008
    • 07:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_zoster These symptoms are commonly followed by sensations of burning pain, itching, hyperesthesia (oversensitivity), or paresthesia ("pins and needles": tingling, pricking, or numbness). The pain may be extreme in the affected dermatome, with sensations that are often described as stinging, tingling, aching, numbing or throbbing, and can be interspersed with quick stabs of agonizing pain. complications that affect several levels of the nervous system and cause multiple cranial neuropathies, polyneuritis, myelitis, or aseptic meningitis Zoster sine herpete describes a patient who has all of the symptoms of herpes zoster except this characteristic rash.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • November 9, 2008
    • 05:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_zoster These symptoms are commonly followed by sensations of burning pain, itching, hyperesthesia (oversensitivity), or paresthesia ("pins and needles": tingling, pricking, or numbness). The pain may be extreme in the affected dermatome, with sensations that are often described as stinging, tingling, aching, numbing or throbbing, and can be interspersed with quick stabs of agonizing pain. complications that affect several levels of the nervous system and cause multiple cranial neuropathies, polyneuritis, myelitis, or aseptic meningitis Zoster sine herpete describes a patient who has all of the symptoms of herpes zoster except this characteristic rash. Thanks for the info. To have herpes zoster you have to have had chikenpox. I nor my sister has ever gotten the chickenpox. And also there I have no rash, bumps, lesions or any damage anywhere on my skin. I am only experiencing the nerve sensations.
    mineemee 13 Replies
    • November 10, 2008
    • 08:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Mineemee. Greetings from Toronto.Have you been tested for allergies. The reason why I ask is because some years ago I had exactly the symptoms you describe to the T. I was also from doctor to doctor and nobody could find out what was wrong with me. One day the symptoms disappeared only to come back one year later.The second time this happened I went to another doctor and he told me that my symptoms seemed like an allergy. He prescribed to me some "Reactine". I just took one and the symptoms disappeared. I did not even need to continue with the full course of the treatment.After going back in my mind and thinking about the reason why my symptoms had disappeared after the first time, it ocurred to me that I also had taken an antihistamine for a cold I had had.Now, in both occasions, I was taking an antibiotic for a sore throat, but my symptoms only ocurred two weeks after I finished the treatments with the antibiotic. However, since you say you do not take medicines of any kind, have you considered an allergy to any kind of food or something in the air of your place that both you and your sister are either eating or breathing.If you have any duct tubes in your place for heating or air conditioning, I would suggest that you call someone to come and clean them. You would be surprised how many people get sick in Canada and the US because of those tubes. If your Air Conditioning is not central consider also changing the filters often.You should also look around inside your place and backyard and look for things, as well as plants and trees, that may be causing your symptoms. Do not forget to check your fireplace and furnace if you have them. You could also call a company that tests your place for mold and asbestos. You would be surprised at what sometimes grows behind the walls without you knowing.Also, try to find a homeopathic doctor to do a hair analysis (by the root) to check for intoxication of heavy metals and minerals. Those things sometimes attack the nerves.If you can travel to Toronto, I know of an excellent doctor who is both an MD and ND and who has helped a lot of people when the regular MDs could not find what was wrong with them but, let me tell you, he is very expensive. If you are willing to travel and have the money to pay, I can give you his name and address. Just post.I hope I could be of any help to you.Keep us posted about how you are doing.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 25, 2008
    • 04:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi:Did you ever find out what this was, or have it resolve? What about your sister?I have almost the exact same thing, but not on face, hands, or feet. I'm thinking it might be related to hydrolyzed wheat in hair products...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 30, 2009
    • 03:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i can't believe its over a year and i'm still having this issue. Yeah, in the end i think its stress/anxiety related. All tests came back negative so I stopped all the probing. I am under a lot of stress and i'm not very active. in fact i would go on to say that my activity level have decreased tremendously since i started to work from home. I started experiencing muscle wiggling/twitching as well. I read somewhere that this might be due to an increased testosterone level due to inactivity. cure for that is to start moving. which is what i'm doing now and i'm feeling better slowly. i'm just wondering, how is your stress and activity level?
    mineemee 13 Replies
    • December 1, 2009
    • 05:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Mineemee. Greetings from Toronto. Have you been tested for allergies. The reason why I ask is because some years ago I had exactly the symptoms you describe to the T. I was also from doctor to doctor and nobody could find out what was wrong with me. One day the symptoms disappeared only to come back one year later. The second time this happened I went to another doctor and he told me that my symptoms seemed like an allergy. He prescribed to me some "Reactine". I just took one and the symptoms disappeared. I did not even need to continue with the full course of the treatment. After going back in my mind and thinking about the reason why my symptoms had disappeared after the first time, it ocurred to me that I also had taken an antihistamine for a cold I had had. Now, in both occasions, I was taking an antibiotic for a sore throat, but my symptoms only ocurred two weeks after I finished the treatments with the antibiotic. However, since you say you do not take medicines of any kind, have you considered an allergy to any kind of food or something in the air of your place that both you and your sister are either eating or breathing. If you have any duct tubes in your place for heating or air conditioning, I would suggest that you call someone to come and clean them. You would be surprised how many people get sick in Canada and the US because of those tubes. If your Air Conditioning is not central consider also changing the filters often. You should also look around inside your place and backyard and look for things, as well as plants and trees, that may be causing your symptoms. Do not forget to check your fireplace and furnace if you have them. You could also call a company that tests your place for mold and asbestos. You would be surprised at what sometimes grows behind the walls without you knowing. Also, try to find a homeopathic doctor to do a hair analysis (by the root) to check for intoxication of heavy metals and minerals. Those things sometimes attack the nerves. If you can travel to Toronto, I know of an excellent doctor who is both an MD and ND and who has helped a lot of people when the regular MDs could not find what was wrong with them but, let me tell you, he is very expensive. If you are willing to travel and have the money to pay, I can give you his name and address. Just post. I hope I could be of any help to you.Keep us posted about how you are doing. wow, i can't believe i missed this great advice. how expensive is the dr? i would definitely like to try him.
    mineemee 13 Replies
    • December 1, 2009
    • 05:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi: Did you ever find out what this was, or have it resolve? What about your sister? I have almost the exact same thing, but not on face, hands, or feet. I'm thinking it might be related to hydrolyzed wheat in hair products... i can't believe its over a year and i'm still having this issue. Yeah, in the end i think its stress/anxiety related. All tests came back negative so I stopped all the probing. I am under a lot of stress and i'm not very active. in fact i would go on to say that my activity level have decreased tremendously since i started to work from home. I started experiencing muscle wiggling/twitching as well. I read somewhere that this might be due to an increased testosterone level due to inactivity. cure for that is to start moving. which is what i'm doing now and i'm feeling better slowly. i'm just wondering, how is your stress and activity level?
    mineemee 13 Replies
    • December 1, 2009
    • 05:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • No trauma, no sweating, no skin changes. Nothing manifests physically. Its all internal.trainede as a naturopath...sounds like you may have developed an allergy..poss food or body product. try fasting using only pears and begin to include sus foods a few days later..one at a time. cheers
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • This sounds exactly how I was feeling my entire file the way you talking about strings or waves going down you legs was really familair to me. I suffered from this since I can remember. I was diagnosed with chronic lyme disease at 21. however, it can be a controversial disease. you should look into it, none the less, even think you haven't been bitten
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement