Discussions By Condition: Thyroid conditions

causes of low thyroid

Posted In: Thyroid conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: emmarene
  • September 12, 2008
  • 08:00 PM

i would like to know what causes hypothyroidism. i am not satisfied with the answer "this just happens sometimes" . i mean my kidneys should last a lifetime, my stomach, etc. i just do not accept that one of my organs simply pooped out for no reason. for example; women get low thyroid much more than men. why? i know it wont change my treatment with synthroid but a patient deserves answers. has anyone had a better explanation>:)

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• Most thyroid conditions are autoimmune, meaning your body is attacking the thyroid gland as if it were bacteria. Just about the same thing that goes on with an allergy only that with an allergy your body is reacting to somthing like for example pollen. With that said there are some cases (mine included) that are not caused by an autoimmune condition, but by somthing that the doctors cant explain. The term they use is idiopathic meaning unknown cause. Hope this helps... Kiera
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 13, 2008
    • 03:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • keira, thanks for answering, " but doesnt it annoy you to be told "unknown cause". i get anemia easily no matter how well i eat. i wonder if this is from the same "unknwon cause". its easy to take synthroid and iron pills when i need to but what else if going to happen? please let me know if i am unnecessarily dwelling on this which is possible because i also have ocd. i can let it go if i know that other people just accept the lack of answers. thanks again
    emmarene 34 Replies
    • September 14, 2008
    • 07:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi hun, I know the feeling! I have dwelled on it for the longest time, but I guess somewhere along the line I said to myself that if anything else is causing it, it will show up in time. So I wait! I have many things going on that they cant explain and as hard as it is, we have to accept that doctors are only humans. I have bowel problems, they found ulcers in my colon 2 years ago and I was told I had Crohns or UC. Then last year the ulcers were gone and I was told I had IBS and no crohns or UC. I have high blood pressure. Nobody can explain why. I am hypothyroid with no antibodies. Nobody can tell me whats causing it. I have joint pain and extreme fatigue... again, nobody can tell me whats causing it. I can only tell you what I think, and I think that we both need to just sit back and watch what happens. Kiera
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 15, 2008
    • 02:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • First I got hyperthyrodism - Hashimotos Thyroditis and from that developed thyroid eye disease which is an autoimmune problem. I then became hypothyroid which I've been for 8 years now and I still have active antibodies and am told I always will have. I can be well for a few weeks and then any slight cold or bug and the auto antibodies kick in and I rapidly go down hill and am unwell for weeks before recovering - a case of self attacking self. So I'll tell you what I've learnt from my experience and it's this: we all of us think doctors know everything and I've learnt with my auto immune problem and my son getting cancer (thankfully now recovered) they don't far from it. They are general practitioners - and they do a lot of practicing on us, sometimes to the good sometimes not. With my son there was no diagnosis until the cancer had gone to his spinal cord - he's very lucky to still be here and no thanks to them. I've been told there's nothing they can do for me they know little enough about auto immune problems and even less about cures and I accept that because it's the truth. Positive thinking is the best drug money can buy - and thankfullness when you walk round an oncology ward and realise how lucky you are to be one of the few who can walk out on your own!
    maggiemay 68 Replies
    • October 4, 2008
    • 11:21 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement