Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Can't Hear - It's been 27 years

Posted In: Medical Stories 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 28, 2006
  • 03:51 PM

When I was 10 years old, I swam underwater a lot in a swimming pool. I developed a painful earache. Unfortunately my parents believed it would go away with warm compresses. It did not and a few days later I lost hearing in my left ear.
My parents brought me to my allergist first?? and then to an audiologist. All I remember is someone saying that my auditory nerve was probably damaged.
It has been 27 years, does anyone know of anything more I could do now? Any technology that could help. It is very difficult in crowded situations with a lot of background noise to follow conversations.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• When I was 10 years old, I swam underwater a lot in a swimming pool. I developed a painful earache. Unfortunately my parents believed it would go away with warm compresses. It did not and a few days later I lost hearing in my left ear. My parents brought me to my allergist first?? and then to an audiologist. All I remember is someone saying that my auditory nerve was probably damaged.It has been 27 years, does anyone know of anything more I could do now? Any technology that could help. It is very difficult in crowded situations with a lot of background noise to follow conversations.If it is indeed your auditory nerve that has sustained damage, then you might want to at very least read this:http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2007/06/auditory_implant_for_better_hearing.htmlIf you google "auditory nerve implant" you'll get a host of returns on the subject outlined above. This technology could eventually return most of your hearing.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement