Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Skin rash, nerve weakness and IBS

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: diagnose_it
  • August 25, 2008
  • 11:37 AM

I have skin rash in my hands, both on palm as well as back of hand. First they appear as a small swollen red spot like a mosquito bite and then spread to form a red ring. The size of the rash initially is as small as 2-3 milimeter and the maximum diameter of the ring can be 1.5 inch. There is no itching with the rash apart from a little uncofortableness when they appear in the palm. Once a cycle of this rash is completed (i.e. from red swollen spot to red ring), a different red spot apprears in a different location of the hand. Usually at a time multiple red rings are visible. Although they apear in both the hands, appearance of the rash is dominant or more in left hand. Similar rash was also observed once in feet and right thigh.

I have visited my doctor(s) for IBS initially, and was prescribed Colospa (Mebevarine Hydrochloride). Initially it was suspected to be urticaria, a side effect of Colospa (Urticaria is a rarely found side effect of Colospa) or a manifestation of Abdomen disorders. Blood tests/ Stool test/ Ultra sound of Abdomen revealed nothing for Allergy or Abdomen. During initial period it was suspected to be Angeo-Neurotic Edema and was prescribed Allegra 180 and Steroids to suppress inflammation. Steroid courses (Wysomol 15 mg / day to 5 mg /day; then Methyl Prednisolone 12 mg a day to 4 mg /day) was taken. The rash did not appear when i was on steroids, but would reappear again once the course is completed.

On visiting a second doctor for derma, the rash was suspected to be Annulare Erythema and was prescribed Cyproheptadyne Hydrichloride (Practin) and a calamine lotion. Nothing seems to work so far.

I also visited my doctor for numb ness of left leg. X-ray report revealed reduced space between L4-L5. Doctor advised some physical exercise for that.

In last few days i have developed little weakness in my nerves, mostly felt in arm and leg, usually in left side. Also have problems in vision, gets difficult to focus. These symptoms remain for 30 to 60 minutes and usually disappears after little rest.

As of now i am on VSL 3 for IBS, Practin for Rash and a Diet supplement.

Now i am confused with all these and l will be grateful if anyone can identify the symptoms.

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• The second stage of syphilis can be associated with a non itchy rash on palms of hands and soles of feet http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/cdc/syphilis22.html has a picture of this. "The second stage starts when one or more areas of the skin break into a rash that appears as rough, red or reddish brown spots both on the palms of the hands and on the bottoms of the feet. Even without treatment, rashes clear up on their own."Then one can go into one of the third stages ("Teritary" or "late stage") of syphilis which can take various forms.. including neurological so could cause your other symptoms you are starting to get now. Syphilis is apparently often missed by doctors. (i think ive read somewhere that one needs a different testing procedure done for late stage syphilis than early syphilis??? so make sure your doctor does the right tests to rule syphilis out as it's serious long term without treatment).
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies
    • August 26, 2008
    • 07:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks, photographs of rash for identification http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/oo182/khoiram/allergy/?action=tageditmany
    diagnose_it 2 Replies
    • August 26, 2008
    • 08:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The fact that the rash went away while you were on steroids might mean it is auto immune. Have you seen a rheumatologist?
    qwertyuiop123 453 Replies
    • August 26, 2008
    • 04:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Try here: http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/annular_rash.htm Also: http://www.ijdvl.com/article.asp?issn=0378-6323;year=2007;volume=73;issue=6;spage=446;epage=446;aulast=Riyaz I wonder if you may have celiac disease.
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • August 26, 2008
    • 06:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_diseaseAll of these symptoms you describe might be related. It often takes a while for Docs to think of Lymes Disease, but whether you have it can be determined by a blood test.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 28, 2008
    • 10:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you all for your suggestions..During last three months i revisited my doctor with complaints of rash, IBS, mild joint pain.For rash i started taking bitter gourd on a freinds advice. It seemed to work. Now i have got rid of the rash.However a feeling of malaise still persists with mild chest and joint pain, stiffness in neck (left side) and stiffness in tongue, left leg numbness and occasional pain in stomach .Blood test for ANA, HLA B27, C - Reactive protien, Antistreptolysin O revealed nothing.IBS still persists. please help
    diagnose_it 2 Replies
    • November 29, 2008
    • 04:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Has any Dr. suggested the possibility of Crohn's Disease? You've got some classic symptoms...Good luck/hang in there! You are in my prayers. Peace.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2008
    • 05:01 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement