Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

My friend is dying and the doctors don't know why

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 11 Replies
  • Posted By: Janine Mans
  • August 19, 2008
  • 11:00 PM

I have a friend lying in hospital, she has been ill since the New Year! The doctors have said that it's a "new disease" but that doesn't help much! She has sores on her hands and feet, she is losing her teeth, she has gastric problems, is confused, can't breathe properly, fatigued, weak. They have tested for TB, HIV, liver problems, heart problems, neural problems etc, and all tests are negative. She has lost about 20 kg and wasn't big to start! She is wasting away while the doctors scratch their heads. :( Does anyone have a clue? Some of the ideas that the doctors have had are Scleroderma and Vasculitis, but tests for that are also negative. Please please someone tell me what I can do!:eek:

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• i'm so sorry to hear about your friend, i did a search and couldn't find any diseases that cause teeth to fall out. gum disease or damage of the teeth roots can cause teeth to fall out.. how many teeth are you talking about? does she grind her teeth? is her diet good? i hope she recovers..
    infinity 10 Replies
    • August 20, 2008
    • 01:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • sounds strange...but did you try something simple like testing for celiac's (gluten intolerance)?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2008
    • 11:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Get your friend some vitamin D3 asap! Sounds like her immune system has fallen apart and her body's succumbing to infections of all kinds. I recommend plenty of antitoxidants like vitamins A, C, D3, E and organic fruit and vegetable -- nonpasturized beverages. Arden's Garden out of Atlanta has fresh fruit, nonpasteurized beverages of all kinds. If you are not in the Atlanta vicinity, juice your own, especially consisting of blueberries, pomegranate, pineapple, green & white tea, cherries and dark chocolate. Also, broccoli, kale, collards, tomatoes, sweet potatoes can be prepared in a mild warmed soup for her, using pure water, of course, to prepare the soup. Further, wheat grass and plenty of sunshine are recommended -- sunshine in early am 7-10am, or late pm, 7-10 pm. Finally, be sure your friend has a clean colon. A colonoscopy if not already done needs to be done immediately. LEF.org has more and look into macrobiotics and Ann Wigmore institute. Brenda Cobb in Atlanta can help as well. God Bless You and Your Friend.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2008
    • 11:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Get your friend some vitamin D3 asap! Sounds like her immune system has fallen apart and her body's succumbing to infections of all kinds. I recommend plenty of antitoxidants like vitamins A, C, D3, E and organic fruit and vegetable -- nonpasturized beverages. Arden's Garden out of Atlanta has fresh fruit, nonpasteurized beverages of all kinds. If you are not in the Atlanta vicinity, juice your own, especially consisting of blueberries, pomegranate, pineapple, green & white tea, cherries and dark chocolate. Also, broccoli, kale, collards, tomatoes, sweet potatoes can be prepared in a mild warmed soup for her, using pure water, of course, to prepare the soup. Further, wheat grass and plenty of sunshine are recommended -- sunshine in early am 7-10am, or late pm, 7-10 pm. Finally, be sure your friend has a clean colon. A colonoscopy if not already done needs to be done immediately. LEF.org has more and look into macrobiotics and Ann Wigmore institute. Brenda Cobb in Atlanta can help as well. God Bless You and Your Friend. Good advice above. Her symptoms point to multiple nutritional deficiencies, D, B and C just to name a few. I would add a good probiotic. When allopathic medicine has no answers it is time to try an alternative approach. I recommend the advice of a good naturopathic or Oriental medical doc - they may shed new light on her problem. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • August 21, 2008
    • 02:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Has your friend been tested for poison? Have them check his or her hair for poison as well as the blood test. Hope they figure it out soon. Be strong in the meantime. I have a friend lying in hospital, she has been ill since the New Year! The doctors have said that it's a "new disease" but that doesn't help much! She has sores on her hands and feet, she is losing her teeth, she has gastric problems, is confused, can't breathe properly, fatigued, weak. They have tested for TB, HIV, liver problems, heart problems, neural problems etc, and all tests are negative. She has lost about 20 kg and wasn't big to start! She is wasting away while the doctors scratch their heads. :( Does anyone have a clue? Some of the ideas that the doctors have had are Scleroderma and Vasculitis, but tests for that are also negative. Please please someone tell me what I can do!:eek:
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 21, 2008
    • 03:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like hepatitis C (HCV) to me. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/MEDLINEPLUS/ency/article/000284.htmThe following symptoms could occur with hepatitis C infection:Abdominal pain (right upper abdomen) Ascites Bleeding varices (dilated veins in the esophagus) Dark urine Fatigue Generalized itching Jaundice Loss of appetite Low-grade fever Nausea Pale or clay-colored stools Vomiting
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 21, 2008
    • 04:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • What do the sores on her feet look like? Do you know what order the symptoms appeared in? How long has she been in hospital?
    dizzy lizzie 192 Replies
    • August 21, 2008
    • 08:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. I was watching a true story on tv the other night and there was a young woman who had similar symptoms. The symptoms included sores all over her body, teeth falling out, problems breathing, and fatigue. She had been going to the doctor for over two weeks and they told her it was just bacteria so they treated her but she only got worse and ended up dying so when they did the autopsy it reveiled she had a type of herpes that her body for some reason couldnt fight off because she was always healthy. Before dying she told them she had kissed someone in a bar that had bit her lip so after running all types of test they finally decided to run a herpes test. They said normally herpes want cause all those symptoms but in her case it did and that it was very rare. I think maybe its worth a try to test her it cant hurt.:confused: I have a friend lying in hospital, she has been ill since the New Year! The doctors have said that it's a "new disease" but that doesn't help much! She has sores on her hands and feet, she is losing her teeth, she has gastric problems, is confused, can't breathe properly, fatigued, weak. They have tested for TB, HIV, liver problems, heart problems, neural problems etc, and all tests are negative. She has lost about 20 kg and wasn't big to start! She is wasting away while the doctors scratch their heads. :( Does anyone have a clue? Some of the ideas that the doctors have had are Scleroderma and Vasculitis, but tests for that are also negative. Please please someone tell me what I can do!:eek:
    minisha 1 Replies
    • August 22, 2008
    • 04:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I completely agree with the others here.. a good start would be her being given freshly done perferably organic juices etc along with a formula containing all essential nutrients and vitamins. It could be vitamin deficiencies. (Doctor may not have even thought to test her levels of those things.. but vitamin deficiency can cause someone to loose teeth eg vitamin C deficiency and those other symptoms too depending on what vitamin it is). Many vitamins and minerals work hand in hand with other ones and if one is deficient it often affects others in the body too. I doubt very much that it is a "new disease" ..as doctors have a hard time diagnosing many diseases just due to their lack of knowledge, that i wouldnt call all that uncommon!............................... can you give us more info on what you mean by "gastric problems". I assumed you meant diarrhea? Can you also describe what the sores she has is like?................ my other thought is that she may have some kind of systemic autoimmune issue eg her system is attacking her own body and causing her symptoms including her teeth falling out...
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies
    • August 22, 2008
    • 09:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • ive been researching your friends symptoms and herpes virus keeps coming up. Search of tooth loss brought up following The Autoimmune and Inflammatory Response Evidence now suggests that periodontal disease is an autoimmune disorder, in which immune factors in the body attack the person's own cells and tissue -- in this case, those in the gum. It appears to work as follows:The bacteria that form plaque and tartar release toxins that stimulate the immune system to overproduce powerful infection-fighting factors called cytokines.Ordinarily, cytokines are important for healing. In excess, however, they can cause inflammation and severe damage. Cytokines of particular importance in periodontal disease are known as tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) and interleukin-1beta, which are very active in the mouth, and are important in causing destructive inflammation.In addition, white blood cells produced by the immune response to bacteria also release a family of enzymes called matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs), which break down connective tissue.Studies suggest that this inflammatory response may have damaging effects not only in the gums but also in organs throughout the body, including the heart. Viral Causes Certain herpes viruses (herpes simplex and varicella-zoster virus, the cause of chickenpox and shingles) are known causes of gingivitis. A 2000 study found that other herpes viruses (cytomegalovirus and Epstein-Barr) may play a role in the onset or progression of some types of periodontal disease, including aggressive and severe chronic periodontal disease. All herpes viruses go through an active phase followed by a latent phase and possibly reactivation.Some experts theorize that these viruses may cause periodontal disease in different ways, including release of tissue-destructive cytokines, overgrowth of periodontal bacteria, suppressing immune factors, and initiation of other disease processes that lead to cell death. the above quote was from www.walgreens.com/library/contents.jsp?doctype=10&docid=000024 Search of hand lesions pictures brought up the followingwww.knowledge.emedicine.com/splash/shared/pub/cotw/0051answer.html by any chance your friends lesions dont look anything like that? Herpes can also cause brain issues and other symtoms too (thou your friend dont really sound like a classical herpes case, but maybe it's something to keep in mind.. could it be an "atypical herpes" case??). i just thought it was interesting that I came up with that answer first thing with two completely different symptoms of hers.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies
    • August 22, 2008
    • 10:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • please allow the doctors to do their jobs!!!I was shocked to see all these suggetions of fruit juices, vitamins etc etc...These guys have no idea of how a critically ill patient is diagnosed and managed!!I can give you several dozen diseases which can cause a similar clinical picture.And think twice about including the fallen teeth in the symptoms- it may just be the poor oral hygiene or someone might have knocked them with a scope etcI am truly sorry about your friend but if you check most of the patients in ICU's will be like your friend. Some will not have a clear diagnosis but when one is seriously ill most of the body systems will have some degree of failure - which is known as multi- organ failure.Hope she is diagnosed soonDr G
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 23, 2008
    • 03:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement