Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

MS or not MS that is the question?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 13 Replies
  • Posted By: kitkat2
  • October 27, 2006
  • 06:59 PM

I have many of the symptoms of MS. Tingling or pins and needles in my feet mostly in my left foot, muscle weakness in my legs. I think the most bothersome of all is the fatigue. I need at least 1 nap a day just to continue to care for my family. I am a 39 yr old female and these symptoms have been going on for about 3 months now and are just now starting to get a little better. I have had an MRI for my brain, cervical and lumbar. Just waiting for the thorasic on Monday. So far all of these have come back with no lesions! I am frustrated to say the least. Because I can look back many years and recount how jacuzzis and saunas and the heat would affect me in the past and it was kinda making sense to me if I had MS. Now I am just confused. Any feedback for me?

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• hi..i have m.s..and it took 3years for the doctors to diagnosis me with that.i have no brain lesions but i have one spot on the spine which my doctor calls it "single sclersois" but i get really bad some days..so don't give up It is very hard some days but make sure you talk to your family.hope you fined out soon..from35
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2006
    • 04:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you been tested for Diabetes? I was getting (sometimes sudden) fatigue, headaches, sometimes a fluttering or irregular rythym in the heart, and tingling in my legs and feet and some partial numbness especially in the heels and toes. It was type 2 Diabetes. I had never heard of those symptoms for Diabetes I thought it was mostly thirst and needing to urinate a lot that signalled Diabetes. I was found not to need medication as long as I lost some weight, then they would see what the results would be. They told me if a person loses as little as 10% of their weight, if they are overweight, it can make a heck of a difference. I lost more than that and have not had to take any medication. I keep my carbohydrate intake low ( like Dr Atkins' diet) and the tingling went away, and the numbness in my feet reversed it self somewhat.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2006
    • 08:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I know how you feel and this can be a very long process. In April I started having mucsle spasms in my left shoulder and suddenly lost a significant amount of strength in my right arm and hand. A month later I coulodn't make it through the day without a nap and I was having trouble remembering things. This started getting better (the needing a nap and the memory) but the mucsle spasms have turned into chronic spacicity with no relief and I have never gotten my strength back, the muscles in my back and hand are starting to atrophy. I have been given MRI's, Mylograms. emgs. I have been tested for everything from Hypo thyroidism to a stroke all negative, The Dr's keep hinting at MS, but have found no lesions. All I get are more tests and a we don't know what's causing this. Try to hang in there, it is a very long process as there is no one test for confirming MS. I know it's VERY Frustrating. I have been sent to several different Dr's all with their own ideas but no real diagnosis.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 04:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you all for your replies. I never really come to this board much anymore because it takes a long time for people to respond to these threads. I go to a different board and I really like it. But I thought I should update here because it has been so long. It is going on 9 months now since I started having the sx I described and they have continued without letting up and have gotten worse. Of course new sx have joined in the chorus now, such as incredible spascity in my neck and shoulders ( almost from onset of sx 9 mos) my thighs are also affected more my left but yes both legs. My neuro says I have too many sx's for MS! I have also lost sensation in my saddle area. I can no longer tell the hot water from cold when I am in the shower down my back side. Try this one on for size...For about a month I kept complaining to my regular coffee person that the coffee was weaker and cold. Well, IT was'nt, it was my tongue! I figured it out when I scorched the back of my throat one day. I am grateful for a few things though. I am so glad that I have built in seats in my shower because I do tire easily when I shower. I am grateful that I have a job that allows me flexible hours. If I fell bad in the mornings I can go in a little later until I get my legs back and then I can go in. I am waiting for a LP to be approved(it has been 2 mos) but I am not putting all my eggs in one basket there either. I know this is a wait and see disease. So, I will wait for the 1 yr mark and demand another MRI and a new neuro and go from there. Afterall, what else can I do? Fall apart? Sit on my pity pot forever? Nope, not this girl. I was the one who never went to the doctor unless I was dying! So, I know there is SOMETHING WRONG.God just has'nt chosen the time for me to know yet, I have to beleive that. I hope if your reading this and your in the same boat, that you find a diagnosis to your health issues. God bless you.
    kitkat2 17 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 07:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • whats the other board ??I need it lol.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 07:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The other boards location is for MS people,caregivers or those seeking comfort while awaiting answers on a possible DX. it is at www. msworld.org You have to register there but no big deal. I really have gotten alot of good advice there and alot of laughs too. Hope to see you there! My name there is kitkat67
    kitkat2 17 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 07:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I know how you feel and this can be a very long process. In April I started having mucsle spasms in my left shoulder and suddenly lost a significant amount of strength in my right arm and hand. A month later I coulodn't make it through the day without a nap and I was having trouble remembering things. This started getting better (the needing a nap and the memory) but the mucsle spasms have turned into chronic spacicity with no relief and I have never gotten my strength back, the muscles in my back and hand are starting to atrophy. I have been given MRI's, Mylograms. emgs. I have been tested for everything from Hypo thyroidism to a stroke all negative, The Dr's keep hinting at MS, but have found no lesions. All I get are more tests and a we don't know what's causing this. Try to hang in there, it is a very long process as there is no one test for confirming MS. I know it's VERY Frustrating. I have been sent to several different Dr's all with their own ideas but no real diagnosis. Gosh this sounds just like my husband's symptoms. We have been to 5 doctors and nobody can figure it out... Its been 7 months and his memory is getting worse. There isnt a day when he does not tremor in his left hand and of course that is his dominant hand! He can hardly walk or speak when he gets stressed out. All of the common threads for MS but yet no diagnosis!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2009
    • 05:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You didn't say anything about lab work,which Ipresume you've had done.Did you get a CBC and Vitamin B12 levels?A decrease in the latter can cause all sorts of neurological Sx.Was your thyroid checked?
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • January 18, 2009
    • 01:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You need a blood sugar done because hypoglycemia can mimic any psychiatric or neuological disease.
    • January 18, 2009
    • 01:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you had optic neuritis?If so,you have a 38% chance of getting MS within 10 years.
    • January 18, 2009
    • 01:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Another couple of things that need to be ruled out are Lupus(and other autoimmune diseases) and Lyme Disease.
    • January 18, 2009
    • 01:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Leaky gut or insulin resistance are two conditions that can be a factor in many of those symptoms. www.flcv.com/leakyghg.html & www.flcv.com/diabetes.html Many of these symptoms can be related to inflammation so antinflamatories such as turmeric(curcumin), green or black tea (extracts) , etc. can be helpful. Such symproms can also be related to autoimmunity and immune reactivity tests such as www.melisa.org are often helpful. Also metabolic tests such as urine fractionated porphyrin test and organic acid test.
    berniew1 37 Replies
    • January 18, 2009
    • 03:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I know how you feel and this can be a very long process. In April I started having mucsle spasms in my left shoulder and suddenly lost a significant amount of strength in my right arm and hand. A month later I coulodn't make it through the day without a nap and I was having trouble remembering things. This started getting better (the needing a nap and the memory) but the mucsle spasms have turned into chronic spacicity with no relief and I have never gotten my strength back, the muscles in my back and hand are starting to atrophy. I have been given MRI's, Mylograms. emgs. I have been tested for everything from Hypo thyroidism to a stroke all negative, The Dr's keep hinting at MS, but have found no lesions. All I get are more tests and a we don't know what's causing this. Try to hang in there, it is a very long process as there is no one test for confirming MS. I know it's VERY Frustrating. I have been sent to several different Dr's all with their own ideas but no real diagnosis.Have you been tested for ALS?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement