Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

Mono Or Strep??

• Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 28, 2008
  • 08:46 PM

I have a sore throat, severely swollen lymphnodes in my neck, a big lump on one side of my neck which one of the doctors said is a swollen up lymphnode, migraines/headaches, ringing in my ears, and my tonsils are very swollen as well...and they have white pus or bacteria or something coating them. I cannot eat as it is very painful and am very tired all the time.
I have been to 3 doctors, they have taken a throat swab and blood tests showed strep for one doctor, the other interpreted it as mono, and the third told me to take antibiotic Amoxicillan, but as it is pennicillan based and I am allergic to pennicillan, I will get a big rash from it.
I don't know what to do, It has been already a week of this.
If someone has had the same thing or might know somethin, please please post as I need to treat this properly and act quickly:(....

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• I have a sore throat, severely swollen lymphnodes in my neck, a big lump on one side of my neck which one of the doctors said is a swollen up lymphnode, migraines/headaches, ringing in my ears, and my tonsils are very swollen as well...and they have white pus or bacteria or something coating them. I cannot eat as it is very painful and am very tired all the time.I have been to 3 doctors, they have taken a throat swab and blood tests showed strep for one doctor, the other interpreted it as mono, and the third told me to take antibiotic Amoxicillan, but as it is pennicillan based and I am allergic to pennicillan, I will get a big rash from it. I don't know what to do, It has been already a week of this.If someone has had the same thing or might know somethin, please please post as I need to treat this properly and act quickly:(....Go see one of the doctors or a new one- whatever your more comfortable with and ask them to take blood to test for Mono. Also TELL THE DR YOU'RE ALLERGIC TO PENICILLIN!!! That is really important information. They will give you a different antibiotic. Do NOT wait. This is really important. If it goes untreated for too long it can turn into other really ugly things like Rheumatic Fever.
    dizzy lizzie 192 Replies Flag this Response
  • hello, i would go back to your doc. but i also wanted you to know that u can have both at the same time. when i was 12 they told me i had strep and when i told the doc i was so tired all the time (didnt even want to walk a couple steps tired) then they did a blood test for mono, they concluded I did have both together, very uncomfortable , had to stay in bed for about a month. good luck :)
    shadowsis_99 1 Replies
    • August 19, 2008
    • 03:45 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement