Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Spinal Cord Fistula - rare condition

Posted In: Nerve conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Karategirl
  • July 14, 2008
  • 07:57 PM

Friends,

Due to my personal experience, I felt led to share this information with all of you who may have or could in the future have a condition that could easily end up in paralysis. I started out with the following symptoms:

numbness in toes, then feet
weakness in left leg
trouble walking
numbness in skin on legs
fall easily
bladder problems
bowel problems

MRI was done and I was diagnosed with artheritis, two degenerative disks and a small cyst in lower lumbar (spine). Radiologist recommended another MRI with dye to get a clearer picture. Primary physician, said, "No", you are going to see a neuro-surgeon. We'll let him determine what further tests you need". What a blessing from above. My physician sent me to one of only four neuro-surgeons in our state that specialized in spinal cord fistulas. My physician nor the radiologist had the slightest idea of what the neuro-surgeon was going to find. The neuro-surgeon talked with me on my medical history and had reviewed my MRI films prior to our visit. He said the radiologist and my physician were going to be quite surprised to learn that my trouble was a spinal cord fistula in T10 and T11, of my spine. He said I had no other choice but to have surgery and to have it quickly as I would be paralyzed from the waist down for the rest of my life very soon if I waited. He got me into the hospital three days later and performed an angiogram of the spine to insure his diagnosis was correct. It was correct and I was operated on the next day. He told me that it was a condition that radiologists and most neuro-surgeons don't realize until it's too late. Many patients go through surgeries and have the same problem when it's over and usually end up paralyzed because they were mis-diagnosed. He told me that the Good Lord had control and we needed to thank him that I was caught in time. I am getting better each day, but it will take up to a year to gain back all that I had lost. I thank our Father in heaven for answering prayers and giving these doctors the gift of healing.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement