Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

2 month nightmare itch=scabies

Posted In: Medical Errors 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 26, 2006
  • 03:12 PM

I had a terrible misdiagnosed case of scabies. As I am living in Florida the doctor who saw me said she thought my rash and itchiness was due to a case of HEAT RASH. NOT! I could not sleep at night, specially at 5 am, I would wake up scratching like crazy. My wife did not have it, so I discarded bed bugs and scabies. The thing kept going for weeks, and the doctor gave me some Zyrtek. But the itchiness kept going. It started in my waistline, but later it went to my groin area, then my legs, my armpits, and soon it was all over my body. As it was getting worse, the doctor gave me some Atarax (to help me sleep as well as to treat the itchiness) and some steroids (decreasing dosis for 6 days). It cleared a bit, but then, when I was out of medicines, it went really bad. Because I was very worried, I kept looking at symptoms in the Internet. One symptom worried me: my penis had this red pimple-like protuberances, as well as my scrotum. I checked that symptom out on the internet, I saw a few pictures, and bam! I had it, it was scabies. The problem is that scabies have a incubating period of 6 weeks, and that was why my wife did not have it. I had been working in the rural areas of Central America, and I must have gotten in there.
I used the cream they give for it, and I feel much better now. However, the convalecence period is long, and the itchiness does not go away until 3 weeks or more.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• If you have scabies, your wife certainly also does (although she may not yet have symptoms because of the long incubation period). It's extremely contagious through skin-to-skin contact. All family members need to be treated at the same time to break the cycle of reinfection.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2006
    • 06:21 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement