Discussions By Condition: Anxiety

Anxiety Misunderstandings

Posted In: Anxiety 12 Replies
  • Posted By: chromegirl666
  • July 3, 2008
  • 04:21 PM

It seems there are a lot of major misunderstandings on anxiety. Anxiety itself is a normal feeling that occurs and passes for most people. Just like happy, sad, excited, angry, and so on. Sadness that doesn't go away is depression, anger that lasts is rage, and anxiousness that lasts is an anxiety disorder. Its not crazy, and everyone has feelings or psychological triggers that cause physical reactions, and anxiety is no different. Commonly people cry when sad, smile when happy, flush when angry, but it passes so they think nothing of it. Physical reactions to anxiety are totally normal too. But they increase and worsen when someone has an anxiety disorder, because the trigger which is the anxiety doesn't go away. Long term anxiety is not always an anxiety disorder either, like long term sadness. If you have another death in your family just as you're recovering from the sadness of the last one, then you aren't neccisarily depressed, you have a cause for that sadness. The same thing can happen with anxiety. However, when there doesn't seem to be any rational causes for your anxiety and it lasts anyway-that is typically anxiety disorder. Anxiety can be a side effect or symptom of other diseases or physical problems occasionally, but it can also be a problem and disorder all of its own. And for those who I have seen on this board literally saying "anxiety is crap"-it's insulting to those who suffer it, ridiculous to come onto a medical site, with a thread devoted to a documented disease and just claim it's crap, ignorant to pass off something you don't understand as crap, and the statement is bull. I hope that clears up some of the constant misunderstandings on here. Anything to add anyone? If you thinks its helpfull please help me keep this up on the board for those who enter it.

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• I totally agree with this......a couple of things i would like to add ! If an otherwise healthy person is living in a stressfull situation & is made continually anxious, this will cause long term health problems, u are more likely to come down with serious illnesses due to this.....and less able to fully recover....it weakens your ammune system. Stress & Anxiety are the biggest killers, yet it seems to be glossed over & dismissed by many as rubbish. For some, It is possible to learn how to live with & control anxiety, its simply, deal with hard facts/evidence......one step at a time.....and remember that "90% of things people worry about do not happen !" Its human nature to work with emotions therefore we tend to think the worst, when there is not the evidence to support this, some run ahead to worse case senario & put themselves through needless worry.....thus anxiety making them ill, when ill, then more anxious.....its a vicious circle that has to be broken, but this can only be done when anxiety is accepted as a possibility, it has to be recognised. Anxiety can be a disorder, It can ruin lives, it can have physical symptoms, it can lead to serious illnesses. It can lead to death. If anxiety is due to illness it still needs to be addressed as it can hender recovery, even survival. Whatever the cause it needs to be addressed not dismissed !
    Tootsie 628 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks Tootsie :) I do have a comment about the "90% of things people worry about don't happen" I think personally if you can't dismiss your worries, which is part of the disorder, the best thing you can do is come to terms with them. Find solutions and so you know what to do. For example, my husband was working as an armored car messenger. I continually worried that he would be shot. Thinking it was an eventuality, I came to terms with it. Thought realistically how I would handle it. What the outcomes could be, what I would have to do and sort of dealt with it mentally ahead of time. It did end up happening, and I was the only one who was pulled together, in spite of my anxiety disorder. I certainly wasn't great, but I was able to function and handle everthing that needed to be done.-Probably because of dealing with it long before it ever actually happened. So maybe trying to blow off a persistent worry as if it's not going to happen isn't the best solution. I think if it bothers you, think it through and settle it in your head. Have a plan in case, and then you can set your mind at rest more or less, one concern at a time. Instead of thinking "what if this and what if that" then you can say "well then I'll just do this". Harder to worry over a solution than it is an open ended question like that.
    chromegirl666 101 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi chromegirl, yes i understand what ur saying and ur right also, i think it all can depends on the cause of the anxiety. I was diagnosed with PTSD so eventually i learnt ways of coping with it. The trouble with PTSD is u are thrown into past events at the flick of a switch, so i learnt to reason with it & gain an understanding of what was happening.....im not in the situation anymore & fears that present themselves are not relevant to the position i am in today, so i can reason with myself now and continually tell myself what i am in fear-of is highly unlikely to happen, but i apply this reasoning to everything now, for me it works that way, if i stay in control im not a victim to it, if u know what i mean. When u do have an anxiety disorder it makes u anxious about everything, work,money,people,health & so on, so i apply the theory "90% of the things i worry about dont happen" work always turns up, u always have enough money to pay bills, & people dont always let u down (choose wisely who u trust) & health issues, wait till i get results of tests, then deal with whatever comes up, not run ahead of myself. Its just about finding what works for u & what doesnt, its just my way of staying in control & staying calm. U are right what u are saying too, i would look at the possibilitys of something going wrong & what i would do, but untill that happened i would push it out of my mind.....for me that would be plan "B" So all forms of coping are right, they just all differ for each of us. I think we are living proof anxiety can be lived with & somewhat controlled & beaten with understanding & getting to know urself. Hope ur hubby is okay now ? Regards :)
  • The main basis of the generalized anxiety disorder is that no matter how much you rationalize that there is no reason for the worries they continue to run through your head anyway. If you can just stop worrying, then you probably don't have the same disorder. Also, I'm told that other people have to put effort into multitasking, for me the opposite is true. Its as if I always have a minimum of 6 trains of thought running through my head, and I can't make them all do the same thing. The only relief I've found for that which isn't inebriation is 3 or 4 days of no sleep. And I have to say--***n-you're lucky about the money to pay the bills always being there. It's frequently not for me. As far as my husband, he's pretty much ok. Hes got some nerve damage in his neck, so some lack of feeling and twitching from it. Have to watch his blood pressure because of the repaired arteries. Some pain in his shoulder from where the one bullet burrowed into the bone. But otherwise he's pretty much ok. Oh yeah, he thinks hes superman now after surviving two point blank shots to the neck--lol.
  • hmmmm maybe thats the difference with me & that fact that i come to terms with it, as PTSD was caused by trauma rather than it being in my personality (not sure if thats the right way to put it) but u will know what i mean.This has give me food for thought as i stupid'ly thought anyone could apply my logic which obviously is not the case.It has also made me realise why i was diagnoised the way i was, it makes sense now.Im kind of supprised and enlightened, ive never thought of it any other way before.....thats where the supprise comes in. :-)Im glad Superman is doing not to bad, i think maybe he has earned that title, not easy to come through that without some lasting damage. It must have been so difficult.Best wishes to u both ! :-)i
  • No "stupidly" about it hun ;) Thats part of the reason most people think its crap. Theres people out there that even having heard that can't fathom the idea of not being able to just blow off the thoughts. Its really hard to understand and equally hard to explain. I was blown away when someone mentioned the term derealization the other day. I looked it up and it sums up most of the symptoms that are almost impossible to describe. Its very hard for people to understand having no control over things they take for granted on a daily basis. Pain they can sympathize with, being out of sync with everything around you is something they have never experienced, so they can't get it. Its really a pain in the butt for people to talk about even. I guess thats partly why I made this tread. People come to talk about it, and then people who don't understand insult them by saying its crap, that doesn't help at all.
  • It seems there are a lot of major misunderstandings on anxiety. Anxiety itself is a normal feeling that occurs and passes for most people. Just like happy, sad, excited, angry, and so on. Sadness that doesn't go away is depression, anger that lasts is rage, and anxiousness that lasts is an anxiety disorder. Its not crazy, and everyone has feelings or psychological triggers that cause physical reactions, and anxiety is no different. Commonly people cry when sad, smile when happy, flush when angry, but it passes so they think nothing of it. Physical reactions to anxiety are totally normal too. But they increase and worsen when someone has an anxiety disorder, because the trigger which is the anxiety doesn't go away. Long term anxiety is not always an anxiety disorder either, like long term sadness. If you have another death in your family just as you're recovering from the sadness of the last one, then you aren't neccisarily depressed, you have a cause for that sadness. The same thing can happen with anxiety. However, when there doesn't seem to be any rational causes for your anxiety and it lasts anyway-that is typically anxiety disorder. Anxiety can be a side effect or symptom of other diseases or physical problems occasionally, but it can also be a problem and disorder all of its own. And for those who I have seen on this board literally saying "anxiety is crap"-it's insulting to those who suffer it, ridiculous to come onto a medical site, with a thread devoted to a documented disease and just claim it's crap, ignorant to pass off something you don't understand as crap, and the statement is bull. I hope that clears up some of the constant misunderstandings on here. Anything to add anyone? If you thinks its helpfull please help me keep this up on the board for those who enter it. I thought this may be a good time to bring chromegirl's thread back to the fore-front, as it gives good insight into anxiety & how it is a major problem & dismissed by many, prefering some other diagnosis other than this, delaying their own treatment & recovery. Anxiety is real, it will make you ill, with real physical symptoms, it will affect us all at some time in our lives, others have to live with it their entire life. Even worrying about your health is anxiety. chromegirl i hope your well ? :)
    Tootsie 628 Replies
    • February 2, 2009
    • 09:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Heya Tootsie--Thanks-I'm dealing, attempting to buy a house here-which is not going easy. We're in the area of texas hit by hurricane Ike--house shopping in that area, with an apartment lease about to end, added to an anxiety disorder--equals keeping a supply of rum in the house-lol. Unfortunatly my old doc from Chicago won't refill my prozac anymore without a visit and I don't have the time or the car to go find a new doc at the moment. But I'm still ticking. It'd be nice to listen to what other people have got going so I could get out of my own head for a while. Maybe I can even help with my few spare moments, so please post your anxiety issues :) If I can help you at all right now it'll help me too.
    chromegirl666 101 Replies
    • February 2, 2009
    • 09:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey girl great to hear from you, where u sitting on top of the computer....lol :eek: ya want to watch out for those emf thingys that are out to get us all...lol.... put ur cell phone on the other side of ya & it will deflect them.....lol Sorry to hear about your house hunting your anxiety levels must be through the roof. How is Superman doing ? I hope he's nicely healed up now & full recovery ? The reason I brought your thread to the fore-front is, theres a few that may well benefit from reading it & should maybe take on board that anxiety is a real problem & needs to be addressed & treated instead of dismissing it. I was hoping you would chirp in.....lol Ohhhh & go easy on the rum........lol :eek: :D
    Tootsie 628 Replies
    • February 2, 2009
    • 09:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had an e-mail menage e' trios going with my husband and realtor going all day, so my fingers have barely left the keyboard. Plus dealing with the power company(since my current fav house has no power thanks to IKE) and my building inspector popping in too. I'm not drunk but a couple swigs a day at critical times keeps me from huddling in a corner crying. Superman is great. You been doing well I hope?
    chromegirl666 101 Replies
    • February 2, 2009
    • 09:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The odd wee blip with me, nothing the vet couldn't cure .....lol :eek: other than that i'll live to bounce another day. Im glad Superman is doing well. My power here keeps going on & off, a bit of a storm blowing, not as big as IKE though, think we'll have snow tonight.........its sooooo cold. Now im going to bring your original thread foreward again incase some miss reading it. Catch ya later hun :)x
    Tootsie 628 Replies
    • February 2, 2009
    • 10:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• It seems there are a lot of major misunderstandings on anxiety. Anxiety itself is a normal feeling that occurs and passes for most people. Just like happy, sad, excited, angry, and so on. Sadness that doesn't go away is depression, anger that lasts is rage, and anxiousness that lasts is an anxiety disorder. Its not crazy, and everyone has feelings or psychological triggers that cause physical reactions, and anxiety is no different. Commonly people cry when sad, smile when happy, flush when angry, but it passes so they think nothing of it. Physical reactions to anxiety are totally normal too. But they increase and worsen when someone has an anxiety disorder, because the trigger which is the anxiety doesn't go away. Long term anxiety is not always an anxiety disorder either, like long term sadness. If you have another death in your family just as you're recovering from the sadness of the last one, then you aren't neccisarily depressed, you have a cause for that sadness. The same thing can happen with anxiety. However, when there doesn't seem to be any rational causes for your anxiety and it lasts anyway-that is typically anxiety disorder. Anxiety can be a side effect or symptom of other diseases or physical problems occasionally, but it can also be a problem and disorder all of its own. And for those who I have seen on this board literally saying "anxiety is crap"-it's insulting to those who suffer it, ridiculous to come onto a medical site, with a thread devoted to a documented disease and just claim it's crap, ignorant to pass off something you don't understand as crap, and the statement is bull. I hope that clears up some of the constant misunderstandings on here. Anything to add anyone? If you thinks its helpfull please help me keep this up on the board for those who enter it. For any told that they may be suffering with anxiety & dont believe it or dismiss it...........Please read !
    Tootsie 628 Replies
    • February 2, 2009
    • 10:19 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement