Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

overgrowth of bacteria and b12 fificiency

Posted In: Medical Stories 6 Replies
  • Posted By: starfishandcoffee
  • June 30, 2008
  • 09:51 PM

I have been dealing with health issues for over 3 years. Tons of tests and all doctors could find nothing wrong. My sypmtoms were/are heart palpations, rapid heart rate, tired(very), cold(very), nausea, body shakes, dizziness, lightheaded, constipation, bloated, the list goes on and on
Finally I was diagnosed with overgrowth of bacteria in stomach about 3 months ago. The doctor believes I have had the overgrowth for at least 4 years and it may have been the reason for allot of my symptoms. I was put on Ciprofloxin, a two week does which didn't work so I ened up being on it for 6 weeks. The symptoms got so much better but I guess it didn't take care of all the bacteria so now I am taking Xifaxan. I have only been on that for 3 days. Hopefully this will take care of it.
I had read a bit about the overgrowth of bacteria and saw that it can cause b12 dificiency and when I look at the sypmtoms of overgrowth of bacteria and b12 dificiency I have them all. When I brought up the b12 to my GP she said "no - all of your regular blood tests came back fine" when I saw my GI doctor last week he decided to test my B12 while I was there and that came back with in the normal guidelines - 240
I tied to ask one of the nurses if it could have been lower before I started the meds for the bacteria. My feeling is it may have been and now that the bacteria is being treated it is not fighting for my B12?? I don't really know but I really feel B12 was a big part of my health these past 3 years
anyone else gone thru this or any other ideas??

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• I have been dealing with health issues for over 3 years. Tons of tests and all doctors could find nothing wrong. My sypmtoms were/are heart palpations, rapid heart rate, tired(very), cold(very), nausea, body shakes, dizziness, lightheaded, constipation, bloated, the list goes on and onFinally I was diagnosed with overgrowth of bacteria in stomach about 3 months ago. The doctor believes I have had the overgrowth for at least 4 years and it may have been the reason for allot of my symptoms. I was put on Ciprofloxin, a two week does which didn't work so I ened up being on it for 6 weeks. The symptoms got so much better but I guess it didn't take care of all the bacteria so now I am taking Xifaxan. I have only been on that for 3 days. Hopefully this will take care of it. I had read a bit about the overgrowth of bacteria and saw that it can cause b12 dificiency and when I look at the sypmtoms of overgrowth of bacteria and b12 dificiency I have them all. When I brought up the b12 to my GP she said "no - all of your regular blood tests came back fine" when I saw my GI doctor last week he decided to test my B12 while I was there and that came back with in the normal guidelines - 240I tied to ask one of the nurses if it could have been lower before I started the meds for the bacteria. My feeling is it may have been and now that the bacteria is being treated it is not fighting for my B12?? I don't really know but I really feel B12 was a big part of my health these past 3 yearsanyone else gone thru this or any other ideas?? 240 is LOW - get on the b12 deficiency thread and write your symptoms down there. This can cause all kinds of problems and is underdiagnosed by docs. If they'll do it ask for a uMMA test - a urine methylmalonic acid test is much more accurate for b12 def. 85% of pts who test positive for uMMa had "normal" serum b12 levels. You have been on a lot of strong antibiotics. Please get a good quality PROBIOTIC like Jarrowdophilus EPS or some similar brand and take them daily. This will help rebuild your ravaged intestinal flora. Very, very important to take these! Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • thank you for replying. Sorry it took so long to get back. I did ask my GP to do the UMMA test and she said she had never heard of that test!! She certainly feels b12 is not the issue especailly because 240 is normal in her books. So I guess I will be dealing with this myself. I did post my symptoms on the B12 thread like you suggested and got a reply explaining allot. I still need to read thru all the previous post to learn a bit more.Thanks again for your feedback
    starfishandcoffee 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • thank you for replying. Sorry it took so long to get back. I did ask my GP to do the UMMA test and she said she had never heard of that test!! She certainly feels b12 is not the issue especailly because 240 is normal in her books. So I guess I will be dealing with this myself. I did post my symptoms on the B12 thread like you suggested and got a reply explaining allot. I still need to read thru all the previous post to learn a bit more.Thanks again for your feedback It is a real shame that doctors don't know about this test. It costs 150. and if you can do it yourself I think you can order a test and send it out. I haven't done this yet, but have researched it and if you go to www.b12.com it will give you more info. If you can find another doctor who can order this test it would be great. Your current doc is misinformed. Of course, lots of folks on the B12 misdiagnosis thread are taking matters into their own hands. Jarrow's Methyl B12 5000 is the best sublingual out there, and you can find this online for a good price at iHerb.com or vitacost.com. It would be helpful to do the uMMA test before supplementing, as it will be most accurate for diagnosing deficiency...but it isn't necessary. I have found Sally's post very helpful, if confusing at times - it is such a loooong post! But since doing research on B12 def, I have found about 30% of my patients show these symptoms. One patient even had blood levels of 187 - clearly below normal. Her regular docs didn't do anything for her.:confused: BTW I am a Doctor of Oriental Medicine. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi,You need to find a good endochrinologist. Your doc says it's ok...is she a endochrinologist? That doctor will do all of the bloodwork you will ever need and keepyou coming back on a regular basis. do not handle this yourself.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, You need to find a good endochrinologist. Your doc says it's ok...is she a endochrinologist? That doctor will do all of the bloodwork you will ever need and keepyou coming back on a regular basis. do not handle this yourself. Hello, Haven't gotten a reply on this in a while. I have been dealing with this myself. The GI doc states I will have the overgrowth for the rest of my life. I take probiotics, enzymes and B12 which have seemed to help alot. I still have occasional days where all the symptoms are bad but still much better than before. I did go to a natural doc. and she believes gluetin is the problem. I was tested for celiac but that test came back fine. My GI said having this overgrowth can make me sensitive to certain things. Which seems to be very true because I cannot eat very much dairy or bread.I'm curious why you think I should see a endochrinologist? Why should I not handle any of this myself. I am up for anything that may actually feel good every day. I don't bring this up to my normal doc anymore and I only need to see my GI doc if I feel I need to. I choose not to because all he does is put me back on antibiotics which do nothing. Thanks for the reply
    starfishandcoffee 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello, Haven't gotten a reply on this in a while. I have been dealing with this myself. The GI doc states I will have the overgrowth for the rest of my life. I take probiotics, enzymes and B12 which have seemed to help alot. I still have occasional days where all the symptoms are bad but still much better than before. I did go to a natural doc. and she believes gluetin is the problem. I was tested for celiac but that test came back fine. My GI said having this overgrowth can make me sensitive to certain things. Which seems to be very true because I cannot eat very much dairy or bread.I'm curious why you think I should see a endochrinologist? Why should I not handle any of this myself. I am up for anything that may actually feel good every day. I don't bring this up to my normal doc anymore and I only need to see my GI doc if I feel I need to. I choose not to because all he does is put me back on antibiotics which do nothing. Thanks for the replyThe reason to do this through a doctor is that you need a perscription to get methyl B12 shots which you can, then, give yourself. The way I understand it is that the serum B12 test measures B12 IRRESPECTIVE of whether or not it is USABLE B12 (i.e., methylated) so may miss many deficient people (but you are clearly deficient). And the urinary MMA test measures ADENOSYL B12, which is used in the Kreb cycle for energy, but NOT methyl B12, which is involved in making methyls for neurotransmitter production, DNA expression, homocysteine recycling, and many other critical things. So if you are deficient in METHYLS and METHYL B12 there is no test that willreliably detect that and it is down to symptoms. So...best thing is really to get a sympatico doctor and try a methyl B12 shot and see if it takes care of your symptoms. If you try to do it via sublinguals it may or may not be enough, but if so -- look for sublinguals that take the longest to melt to have any hope of getting a decent dose. Jarrow methyl B12 is one of the few that take > 20 mins to melt and delivers the best dose. On the B12 website they are putting the Jarrow sublingual between the teeth and cheek to extend the dissolve time to 40 minutes. It is better to spread out the sublinguals if you take more than 1 because the B12 fills your receptors and the excess is lost in pee. But if you have enzymes that losetheir cofactors easily (heat labile) then you need a constant supply of replacements and what has been peed away is already lost. That is why a shot into the fatty tissue of the butt is best as it takes along time (days) for te B12 to dissolve out into the body that way -- a constant supply that does not get peed away.
    madanthony 1,087 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement