Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

overgrowth of bacteria and b12 fificiency

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: starfishandcoffee
  • June 30, 2008
  • 09:51 PM

I have been dealing with health issues for over 3 years. Tons of tests and all doctors could find nothing wrong. My sypmtoms were/are heart palpations, rapid heart rate, tired(very), cold(very), nausea, body shakes, dizziness, lightheaded, constipation, bloated, the list goes on and on
Finally I was diagnosed with overgrowth of bacteria in stomach about 3 months ago. The doctor believes I have had the overgrowth for at least 4 years and it may have been the reason for allot of my symptoms. I was put on Ciprofloxin, a two week does which didn't work so I ened up being on it for 6 weeks. The symptoms got so much better but I guess it didn't take care of all the bacteria so now I am taking Xifaxan. I have only been on that for 3 days. Hopefully this will take care of it.
I had read a bit about the overgrowth of bacteria and saw that it can cause b12 dificiency and when I look at the sypmtoms of overgrowth of bacteria and b12 dificiency I have them all. When I brought up the b12 to my GP she said "no - all of your regular blood tests came back fine" when I saw my GI doctor last week he decided to test my B12 while I was there and that came back with in the normal guidelines - 240
I tied to ask one of the nurses if it could have been lower before I started the meds for the bacteria. My feeling is it may have been and now that the bacteria is being treated it is not fighting for my B12?? I don't really know but I really feel B12 was a big part of my health these past 3 years
anyone else gone thru this or any other ideas??

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement