Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Possible nerve compression or damage?

Posted In: Nerve conditions 9 Replies
  • Posted By: AllInTheFamily
  • June 4, 2008
  • 02:00 PM

Hi there.. Recently my grandmother (age 83) had shown symptoms of a blood clot... severe pain/cramping in leg, skin discoloration/bruising, swelling, dizziness, chest pains. She was taken to the emergency room where they ruled out it being a clot.

They suggested possible nerve compression or damage. Does this sound right?

What confuses me is the discoloration on her leg. It is on the right lower part of her left shin. It looks almost like a bruise, but different in that it looks as if it's growing.. the lower outside half is a lighter, brighter red color, and the upper part is a darker reddish purple.
She does not recall falling or having any trauma to this area.

Is it normal for nerve problems to result in bruising? And what other possibilities are there?

Thanks for any insight.

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• Hi there, ive been wrecking my brains trying to remember about this. It could be a vascular disease....... Investigate..... Peripheral Vascular Disease, nerve compression just doesn't sound right. Is ur gran diabetic by any chance ? if so it could well be due to that but im not sure. Post any other symptoms or conditions she may have, it may help shed more light on this, im sure another member will have more knowledge on this than me. Best wishes :)
    Tootsie 628 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the reply, Tootsie... In truth, she has/had many complications recently (the last few years) and many not so recent. It's hard to pick out which things may be related and which aren't. I've really only been in the picture for the last year and a half. I've been handling all her Dr. appts. and trying to keep up with the meds she's on. Last year I had them take her off of Ambien because of falls during the night (She did not remember most of these) and for sleep walking/eating. She is not diabetic that we know of. She has not been tested since I've been here. She has had hip pain all the time since several years ago. She walks with a limp, and seems very unbalanced. She has a history of heart problems.. total blockage at one point, they did surgery. She has a stent, though, I am still unable to find out what kind and exactly where. She only says it's b/c of her heart. (she no longer sees the Dr who put it in, and won't request a copy of her records.) She complains of chest pains regularly and frequently has stomach upset- everything from constipation to diarrhea to heartburn to uncontrollable belching. She is extremely hard of hearing, and gets confused easily. She has a tiny tumor in her brain- Dr.'s have said it is benign- that has not changed in shape or size in more than two years. It is very hard for us to get accurate information from her. She tries to cover things up or not tell us what's going on if she thinks it will be a hassle. She hates going to the Dr. and most times will keep quiet if she thinks it's serious enough that she should go... Hope this helps.. I'm at my wit's end lately, and the Drs. seem to shrug off lots to "age."
    AllInTheFamily 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the reply, Tootsie... In truth, she has/had many complications recently (the last few years) and many not so recent. It's hard to pick out which things may be related and which aren't. I've really only been in the picture for the last year and a half. I've been handling all her Dr. appts. and trying to keep up with the meds she's on. Last year I had them take her off of Ambien because of falls during the night (She did not remember most of these) and for sleep walking/eating. She is not diabetic that we know of. She has not been tested since I've been here. She has had hip pain all the time since several years ago. She walks with a limp, and seems very unbalanced. She has a history of heart problems.. total blockage at one point, they did surgery. She has a stent, though, I am still unable to find out what kind and exactly where. She only says it's b/c of her heart. (she no longer sees the Dr who put it in, and won't request a copy of her records.) She complains of chest pains regularly and frequently has stomach upset- everything from constipation to diarrhea to heartburn to uncontrollable belching. She is extremely hard of hearing, and gets confused easily. She has a tiny tumor in her brain- Dr.'s have said it is benign- that has not changed in shape or size in more than two years. It is very hard for us to get accurate information from her. She tries to cover things up or not tell us what's going on if she thinks it will be a hassle. She hates going to the Dr. and most times will keep quiet if she thinks it's serious enough that she should go... She is also very depressed most of the time. Hope this helps.. I'm at my wit's end lately, and the Drs. seem to shrug off lots to "age."
  • "Peripheral artery disease (PAD) is a condition similar to coronary artery disease and carotid artery disease. In PAD, fatty deposits build up in the inner linings of the artery walls. These blockages restrict blood circulation, mainly in arteries leading to the kidneys, stomach, arms, legs and feet. In its early stages a common symptom is cramping or fatigue in the legs and buttocks during activity. Such cramping subsides when the person stands still. This is called "intermittent claudication." People with PAD often have fatty buildup in the arteries of the heart and brain. Because of this association, most people with PAD have a higher risk of death from heart attack and stroke." The pain she feels is constant, no matter her position. The ER Dr. suggested putting her feet up... this hasn't helped so far.
  • Hi again, Ive still been wrecking my brains trying to remember, there is something running around the back of my head, its something like this, as ur gran is 82yr there is a condition (starting with "hemo" something or other, i just cant think of the name but its like blood leaking into tissuse causing bruising & discolouration of the skin, this usually happens in the elderly. Regarding stomach problems & belching this can also be a possilbe sign of heart problems, strange u may think but heart problems can manifest in the oddest ways. Swelling in legs can also indicate a problem. Hopefully someone will come up with more information than me. Anyway, in the mean time investigate Peripheral Vascular Disease. Sadly when people reach this age things take a downward turn & its difficult to get doctors to pull out all the stops to help. Sorry, i wish i could help you more. Kind regards :)
  • Thanks again Tootsie.. I am reading up on PAD now.. she is now pretty much unable to walk. It seems like her pain and cramping has gotten worse... the discoloration faded some today... almost a brownish color.. Re: your last post.... I know the gastro symptoms are sometimes heart related... tho, her docs are never concerned by them- even when they started during a stress test six months ago! Actually, I wonder also about anxiety attacks, when it comes to going to the Dr.? Is this common? And what types of symptoms are there? It didn't occur to me until now, but she does seem to have a sudden increase in gastro upset and chest pains whenever she's going to the Dr's. Do others experience this as well? If anyone else out there has some ideas, please let me know! Thanks.
  • It really sounds that there is some vascular problem, elderly people can go down hill very quickly. A thing u have to take into consideration is ur Gran knows she's in her late stages of life as do the doctors. She will not want to face the fact that she is going down hill, hence the anxiety attacks, she is scared, she does not want to admit that she is going down hill, she is facing or rather should i say she is doesnt want to face her own mortality, so its a bit like going into denial, she has times of confusion but also moments of clarity.......please believe me there is no way of life ending healthly there is a process & it is very possible that these things are happening.........there is no easy way. If this was my gran quite honestly i would care for her needs, keep her happy & comfortable, keep cheerful around her & not highlight any fears or anxiety that i would have onto her. There are some things we can not stop & this may be one of them. Again if i was you i would make an appointment myself & go talk to her doctor without her knowing, voice your concerns.....but remember he will not brake the doctor patient confidentiality code, but he can give u a natural over view of what may be happening or maybe he will offer somemore help. I dont mean to destress you by saying this but this may well be happening & im just trying to be straight with you, i hope u understand. Kindest regards my thoughts are with you.
  • Oh, I know that it's the way things happen.... She gets so distressed over it all. I worry about her depression mostly.We try to keep her comfortable and happy.. having my 10 month old here really helps.. she says he's the reason she's still around... which is touching in one way.. but a little disturbing, too.... hopefully I'll convince her to see her Dr again and maybe we'll figure out what's going on with her leg. More than anything, she wants to still be able to walk. thanks for the advice. I'll continue to do the best I can for her and to keep researching. : )
  • You could consider some natural remedys for anxiety which may help her.These can be easier for her to take than script meds, but alas these things can sometimes make the elderly less steady. Please try to speak to her doctor first before u say anything more to her, it will alarm her more than she already is. Also plz let me know how things go. Best wishes :)
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement