Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Couldn't move or breathe-could someone help

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 16 Replies
  • Posted By: chromegirl666
  • June 4, 2008
  • 05:46 AM

I don't know how to put the couldn't move part on the symptom checker--can anyone help me with that? I don't know how to list it. This just happened to my husband and it scares me. Hes at risk for blood clots because of being shot at work in 2006. I want to make sure all of todays odd occurences don't add up to a stroke, but i'm not sure what to put down on the symptom checker. Does anyone know?

Reply Flag this Discussion

16 Replies:

• sounds like a big problem (im only 20) i have no experience in any of this but ive been reading alot and you should probrobly go see a doctor/hospital/ and or ER if something happends remember what i said though... only 20
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Am I in the wrong area for this or something? I can't believe no one else knows how to enter this to the symptom checker here. Is there somewhere else I should be asking?
    chromegirl666 101 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, sorry i don't know either i tryed the same but found it was not possible. You could post all his symptoms here & someone may know & advise you. Sorry i couldn't be of more help.
    Tootsie 628 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you. Earlier today I notices his legs were wobbly, he went to get up from his chair and his legs shook and he fell back into it. Instantly he loudly said "I'm alright" which tells me from experience that this isn't something hes unaccustomed to happening now. Now tonight he was laying in bed and had just fallen asleep. Maybe five or ten minutes later he suddenly gasps, throws his arms out and flips over on his back at the same time. He started breathing heavy like he was catching his breath, and was flexing his hands looking confused. I asked if he was ok and he said yeah-that he was awake but couldnt' move and could hardly breathe for a minute and now his legs are all tingly. I asked like pins and needles and he said no just tingly. He said nothing else hurt and for me not to worry and went back to sleep. The surgeons told us that a blood clot can float around in the system for a long time before causing a problem, so I'm always on the lookout for that. Could that have been a stroke? Hes been gaining twitches and other problems since the shooting, but he tries to hide them, so I have to watch carefully.
  • Since the shooting......do u mean he was shot/injured ? Regarding floating clots i have never heard of doctors ever saying that its okay for a clot to float around, just does not make sence, i could be wrong but thats strange........I would definately want that seen to asap. As for his other problems, really he needs to see a neurologist & get an MRI done. I have to go to work now. If there is anymore information post it & some of the other members may be able to help u. Best wishes :)
  • Yes he was shot in 2006- two shots to the neck. Severed the carotid artery and the jugular vein. I'm sure I probably spelled those wrong. They didn't say as if it was ok that there was a clot floating around, they said there could be one that could have developed while they repaired the artery or even before that. Just a heads up that it was a possibility. We had to wait for him to wake up to even determine if one could have settled in his brain during surgery and caused damage. I was so excited that he was ok, but the surgeons let me know that problems from a clot could still turn up in the future. They couldn't at all predict what could happen or what to expect beyond that since by all accounts he shouldn't even have lived. He went in on monday and shocked them all by going home on friday. They said they could go by the book because the book said he should be dead--lol. There was a lot of damage that no one could understand so I think they kind of stopped asking. He was a bit of a novelty at the hospital. I don't know how long the clot thing could be an issue for, but i'm always on the lookout. This instance tonight was very scary to me. I'm very concerned it could have been a small stroke. Does anyone know? Hes almost impossible to get to the doctor.
  • I tried to post back but it said something about a moderator reviewing it? Do I need to retype it all?
  • I tried to post back but it said something about a moderator reviewing it? Do I need to retype it all? No, sometimes this happens, it should appear soon.
  • I also forgot to say that the twitches are in his neck muscle from the severed nerve endings either from the bullet or the surgeory. It causes the muscles to jump because of the nerves firing involuntarily from the damage. He did speak to a doctor about that. Sometimes his head bobs left and right from the same thing, and he doesn't even know its going on. They said basically for that he could get botox injections for the rest of his life (which he isn't willing to do) or just deal with it. Even that I had to catch him at-he didn't tell me. When I caught him on it he said he knew it had been going on for a while, people at work had pointed it out to him. He won't say much on it, just tells me not to worry-so most of what I have to go on is what I can see the few hours a day that he's home.
  • Dear ChromegirlFirstly, you need to try and relax. Think back to what happened. You need to give us a clear idea of exactly what has been going on.How old is your husband? How is his health generally?Exactly what happened?What time did it start? How long did it go on for? Does he still have any problems? (especially any weakness, flaccid muscles, difficultly with speech, blurred vision/visual changes, numbness, incontinence etc).Has this ever happened before?Does anything make his symptoms better or worse?What medication is he taking? (especially warfarin/aspirin/dipyridamole or drugs for irregular heart rate)What happened with regard to the shooting? Where was he shot? When was this?Does he have any other significant disease (heart/lung/epilepsy etc)?Any family history (blood relatives) of strokes/heart disease?Does he smoke? Use narcotics? Drink alcohol? If yes, how much?What you are describing sounds more like a brief apnoeic episode - he held his breath during sleep then briefly woke up. It is natural he would be confused, and when we are half awake we often cannot move normally. If he is back to normal now, I wouldn't worry too much. With a stroke, he would be expected to have long standing neurological results (weakness, slurred speech etc), he may also have been unconscious and very drowsy for a long time afterwards - you would know I think.Does your husband feel tired all the time? Does he get early morning headaches? Is he overweight? If so, he may suffer from sleep apnoea, but one thing at a time!Hope this is of some use, will keep an eye out to look for your reply.
    happyprince123 33 Replies Flag this Response
  • I wouldn't know about the drowsiness and such afterward because as I said he went back to sleep, and he gets up for work about an hour from now. There is an anwser pending with a moderator apparently about the shooting. This is not something that has happened before as far as I know and I am calm. If I wasn't I wouldn't be at the computer I'd be calling an ambulance. No mediactions currently, and if you read my first post it anwsers some of your questions. It happened at about midnight. Most of your questions there prince tell me that you haven't read what I posted because I don't know how to be any more specific than the account of the event that I gave in an earlier post. I appreciate the help, don't get me wrong--but I think you missed some of what I posted. I'm not repeating all that, but I'll give what I didn't before. He's 28 otherwise pretty healthy. He has some stomach acid trouble, which he takes some OTC for-zantac or zantax i think its called. And normally he takes synthroid for an underactive thyroid, and he was on topril (spelled wrong probably) for a time to keep blood pressure down as a precaution due to the repaired coratid artery and jugular. He hasn't had those in 9 months now. Hes a smoker, pack a day, no drugs and rarely a drink. Family history--I don't think so. The reason I'm concerned about the possibility of stroke is because the surgeons said a clot could cause one. My side of the family has that history and I know that "mini strokes" as they called them can precede a major one. Being that he was sleeping and this woke him I don't know how long it went on and if anything else could have preceded it. If he held his breathe then why could he not move right away? The man is not mentally disabled and knows the difference between movement when waking up and not being able to move at all. The way he suddenly jerked and flipped over certainly gave the impression that he was fighting to move. I thought at first maybe he dreamed it, but a dream wouldn't have caused the tingly legs so that made me think twice on it. No headaches, slightly overweight, but who isn't. Did I miss any? Hopefully the post about the shooting will show up soon-It was a long one and I'm hoping not to retype it. I'm getting pretty tired.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I read all your posts. Don't worry.I don't think he has had a stroke. I could be wrong, but I think it's unlikely. I understand why you are concerned, what with his history and your family's history. The surgeons were referring not to a circulating clot (which would rapidly get stuck somewhere and break down), but to the chance of a clot forming at the site where they did surgery. If you think about the anatomy, blood flows up the carotid artery into the brain. If you had a clot form in this artery it could break off (forming an "embolus") and get stuck somewhere in the blood vessels in the brain, causing a stroke.Now, his surgery was in 2006. He would have been given medications to prevent high blood pressure and to prevent excessive clotting after the surgery. These are no longer necessary since the vessels would now have healed up and the risk of clotting occurring at the injury site is extremely low. Once the vessels have healed, their smooth inside surfaces prevent the formation of clots. I don't think you should worry too much about his risk of stroke (your family's health has nothing to do with his). The highest risk for clotting is that he smokes 1 packet of cigarettes every day! But that will only cause problems by the time he is in his 50s/60s.People often twitch and have unusual movements as they fall asleep, and breathing changes are normal too. With respect to the not moving, this can also be entirely normal (for reasons to do with your brain disconnecting itself from your body during sleep - otherwise when you dreamed of running you would make running movements).I hope this is useful - have a word with him when he wakes up, tell him that you are worried, and just make sure he is his normal self. Then get some sleep yourself - you must have been up all night looking this stuff up!With best wishes
    happyprince123 33 Replies Flag this Response
  • and had just fallen asleep. Maybe five or ten minutes later he suddenly gasps, throws his arms out and flips over on his back at the same time. He started breathing heavy like he was catching his breath, and was flexing his hands looking confused. I asked if he was ok and he said yeah-that he was awake but couldnt' move This isnt uncommon in people.. it's happened to me many a time and is called "sleep paralysis". One often jerks awake and just finds one is paralysed and cant move. The best way to bring oneself out of that state is to focus on just wingling a toe... once you can do that.. you can usually move.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • (your family's health has nothing to do with his). I know that, I was refering to being aware of the so called "mini stroke" because of my family. The surgeons told me it was a possibility that I should keep an eye out for, but unfortumately they didn't tell me how long it could be a concern for. Sorta funny though-they gave us all these warnings about keeping his blood pressure down so that it didn't pressure the repairs and burst them on the day he came home. The were having a problem with the fire alarm systems and all the alarms at my apartment complex kept randomly going off--relaxing huh? LOL Thanks for the help guys. He got up and said he was fine and not to worry. Thats a standard response from him though, so after 12 years it doesn't seem to satisfy anymore. He was telling the ER the same thing that day, lol. That stubborn man actually got back up and would have shot the guy before passing back out if it weren't for the bullet lodged in his shoulder messing up his gun arm. I do feel better after talking to ya all. Several probablities against stroke really settles my mind. I do still wish I could have figured out how to enter the not being able to move into the symptom checker--would have saved a lot of time.
  • This could be a number of things. He may have sleep apnea, post traumatic stress disorder, a blood clot that may be affecting his circulation or something else. I think you should have him see a doctor.
    aquila 1,263 Replies Flag this Response
  • I know that, I was refering to being aware of the so called "mini stroke" because of my family. The surgeons told me it was a possibility that I should keep an eye out for, but unfortumately they didn't tell me how long it could be a concern for. Sorta funny though-they gave us all these warnings about keeping his blood pressure down so that it didn't pressure the repairs and burst them on the day he came home. The were having a problem with the fire alarm systems and all the alarms at my apartment complex kept randomly going off--relaxing huh? LOL Thanks for the help guys. He got up and said he was fine and not to worry. Thats a standard response from him though, so after 12 years it doesn't seem to satisfy anymore. He was telling the ER the same thing that day, lol. That stubborn man actually got back up and would have shot the guy before passing back out if it weren't for the bullet lodged in his shoulder messing up his gun arm. I do feel better after talking to ya all. Several probablities against stroke really settles my mind. I do still wish I could have figured out how to enter the not being able to move into the symptom checker--would have saved a lot of time. Hi again, I'm just checking in to see how u got on, Im glad u got help from other members. We're much nicer than symptom checker......lol:) Its also good to get comfort & support. Anyway, i do hope u are feeling less worried than before & now have some answers and advice. Kind regards :)
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement