Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

EMG test abnormal-what is motor axon loss?

Posted In: Nerve conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: jeanill
  • May 22, 2008
  • 08:01 PM

I am a female (age 55). I have severe pain and stiffness across the bottom of my spine, between my hips. I also have trouble walking, for several years, and it is getting worse. My symptoms start AFTER I use my muscles. (My leg muscles will stiffen up, and burn inside. And my legs will start feeling very heavy, and it is hard to move them.) :(I can not squat down and get up, or walk up too many steps, either. Recently the same symptoms started happening to my upper arms, after daily chores (and sometimes my hands will tremble). My doctor had me tandem walk, and I could NOT do this. I also had trouble standing on one leg. So she sent me to a neurologist who ordered an EMG test of my legs. (But when they did the test they were testing my toes! And I wondered why?) The EMG test showed my tibial nerve response was 0.38, and the reference range was >4.00. And the test also showed "chronic motor axon loss in the right abductor hallucis muscle...and absent medial & lateral plantar nerve responses." What does this mean? I have been waiting for my neurologist to tell me what is wrong with my leg muscles for two weeks. Yesterday her nurse called and said all my tests were normal. I asked her how the tests can be normal, since I purchased the records, and read the abnormal results to her over the phone! She said the abnormal results “probably were due to my age,” (since I am only 55, I became upset.) :mad:I told could not walk one block, and that I used to be able to stand and walk a lot! I asked her why toes were tested, if my symptoms were in my legs. I also her asked if nerve compression at the bottom of my spine could be causing my leg problems? But she said “my neurologist was on hospital duty and was unavailable” for several weeks. So...when my doctor returns, should I ask her for any specific tests? Because I do not think she knows what she is doing! Thank you so much! (Also, could my symptoms relate to anything contagious? Because, I feel ill all the time.) I hope a doctor sees this and knows the answers. My questions for Wrong Diagnosis are: 1-Would the nerve function tests of my feet show if I also have nerve function loss in my legs? 2-What does “motor axon loss and absent medial & lateral plantar nerve responses” mean? 3-Why can't I tandem walk (walk on a straight line, like a tightrope?):confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement