Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Clumsey 13yr with curved spine ?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 15, 2008
  • 08:33 PM

Hello, im so worried about my 13yr old son. Hes a happy lad and healthy. Hes always been clumsey when he was younger and unsteady on his feet. We've always just said " oh thats just him" hopefully he'll grow out of it ! He now 13 yrs and it seems to be getting worse.

He cannot pour or carry a drink without spilling it, when he cuts his food up it seems to go everywhere but on the plate,when he walks he cannot walk in a straight line , tends to walk into things, falls up the stairs , falls over little things etc

about 1yr ago i noticed how his shoulder blade was higher one side than the other , 1 side of his waist curved in but the other side seemed to look straight, basically his whole body posture seemed to be lop sided?? i took him to my GP who referred me to the hospital. they xrayed him and said he had an 18 degree curve in his spine , 1 leg slightly shorter than the other. they gave him physio therapy to see if that helped the curve..nothing changed. the hospital wants to keep check every year

during all this i enquired about the clumseness in him ,they said this had nothing to do with the curve in the spine so i was referred to another doctor . she did various tests. he really struggled on walking 1 foot in front of the other, closing his eyes and standing with arms out , also touching her finger then his nose. the doctor gave him a MRI scan on his brain and spine . All the results came back as normal ??? which im pleased about but still not explained why hes like he is ??

i do have another appointment soon to discuss what next, but im just so frustrated what it could be ?

anybody have any ideas ?

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• Look up dopamine Responsive Dystonia. The description of your son fits me at the onset of my dystonia (about 13). My mother and I both have Dystonia and both look "lopsided." I have a curve in my spine, was very clumsy (and still am :) I have difficulty walking and they test things like touching my nose. It is a neurological muscle movement disorder, please look it up. I think it would help.
    fyrefly82 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • He needs ocupational therapy if you can get it out of your insurance or school's special education program.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi , thanks for your replies. i will now look up what you've said and read more into it. Would any of these conditions show up on a MRI scan ??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement