Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Clumsey 13yr with curved spine ?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 15, 2008
  • 08:33 PM

Hello, im so worried about my 13yr old son. Hes a happy lad and healthy. Hes always been clumsey when he was younger and unsteady on his feet. We've always just said " oh thats just him" hopefully he'll grow out of it ! He now 13 yrs and it seems to be getting worse.

He cannot pour or carry a drink without spilling it, when he cuts his food up it seems to go everywhere but on the plate,when he walks he cannot walk in a straight line , tends to walk into things, falls up the stairs , falls over little things etc

about 1yr ago i noticed how his shoulder blade was higher one side than the other , 1 side of his waist curved in but the other side seemed to look straight, basically his whole body posture seemed to be lop sided?? i took him to my GP who referred me to the hospital. they xrayed him and said he had an 18 degree curve in his spine , 1 leg slightly shorter than the other. they gave him physio therapy to see if that helped the curve..nothing changed. the hospital wants to keep check every year

during all this i enquired about the clumseness in him ,they said this had nothing to do with the curve in the spine so i was referred to another doctor . she did various tests. he really struggled on walking 1 foot in front of the other, closing his eyes and standing with arms out , also touching her finger then his nose. the doctor gave him a MRI scan on his brain and spine . All the results came back as normal ??? which im pleased about but still not explained why hes like he is ??

i do have another appointment soon to discuss what next, but im just so frustrated what it could be ?

anybody have any ideas ?

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• Look up dopamine Responsive Dystonia. The description of your son fits me at the onset of my dystonia (about 13). My mother and I both have Dystonia and both look "lopsided." I have a curve in my spine, was very clumsy (and still am :) I have difficulty walking and they test things like touching my nose. It is a neurological muscle movement disorder, please look it up. I think it would help.
    fyrefly82 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • He needs ocupational therapy if you can get it out of your insurance or school's special education program.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi , thanks for your replies. i will now look up what you've said and read more into it. Would any of these conditions show up on a MRI scan ??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement