Discussions By Condition: Obesessive Compulsive Disorder

Is this OCD?

Posted In: Obesessive Compulsive Disorder 1 Replies
  • Posted By: whit3tig3y
  • May 15, 2008
  • 05:10 AM

For the last 2 years or so, i've developed the habit of constantly having to have something to "fiddle" with. Be it a pen, a piece of string, a zipper on a shirt or even my own fingers, i have to be doing something. When i'm at work, if my hands are occupied by work, i'll need to have my foot tapping or my knee jiggling. Sometimes I even rest my chin on my drink bottle and just move that around. If I don't do this I feel kind of anxious. Small things like sitting at my desk moving around a folded up sticky note in one hand is ok. Its when im out and about, im playing with a cord on my jumper or have something in my pocket i can play with, that I really feel silly because alot of people find these things rude. I've noticed when I go to the doctor or I had a job interview or something i'd play with the strap of my bag either next to me or under the desk. I don't know what this is. Could this be OCD? I've never looked up OCD i don't know what the symptoms are. But just the name suggests an compulsion such as this may come under it!

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• For the last 2 years or so, i've developed the habit of constantly having to have something to "fiddle" with. Be it a pen, a piece of string, a zipper on a shirt or even my own fingers, i have to be doing something. When i'm at work, if my hands are occupied by work, i'll need to have my foot tapping or my knee jiggling. Sometimes I even rest my chin on my drink bottle and just move that around. If I don't do this I feel kind of anxious. Small things like sitting at my desk moving around a folded up sticky note in one hand is ok. Its when im out and about, im playing with a cord on my jumper or have something in my pocket i can play with, that I really feel silly because alot of people find these things rude. I've noticed when I go to the doctor or I had a job interview or something i'd play with the strap of my bag either next to me or under the desk. I don't know what this is. Could this be OCD? I've never looked up OCD i don't know what the symptoms are. But just the name suggests an compulsion such as this may come under it!Your symptoms are not severe enough to warrant a diagnosis of OCD. Also, having such rituals does not point inevitably to OCD. You could have akathisia. You could have a form of restless leg syndrome. You could be bipolar. Or you could just be drinking too much coffee. At any rate, your symptoms are not severe enough that you necessarily have any of these. It could also be normal, if awkward, human behavior.
    bobwick 21 Replies
    • October 6, 2008
    • 00:18 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement