Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Why can't I move my legs when I kneel down?

Posted In: Muscle conditions 18 Replies
  • Posted By: jeanill
  • May 6, 2008
  • 07:34 PM

It is very hard for me to kneel down. My leg muscles burn inside and feel heavy-like lead when I try to do this. If I kneel on the floor on one knee, I can hardly move that leg to get up again. It is frozen in place. And I can NOT use that leg to leverage myself up. (I have to use both arms to push myself up.) This started in 2001, when I noticed I was having trouble getting out of the bathtub. And it has gotten worse since then!:( I also can not do squats, because once I am in a squatting position, I can NOT get up, either! Both legs will burn inside and feel like dead weights. My knees are SO weak, that they can not support my weight getting up. Does anyone know why I can not move my legs when I kneel down, or do squats? My doctor does not know. He has been telling me that I have mild "spinal stenosis" at level L4-L5, but that he did not think it was bad enough to be causing leg symptoms. Since he did NOT find anything else, what could be wrong with my legs? MS? ALS? Nerve damage? (Would a lumbar MRI show the caudia equina...sorry so technical here-but I was researching this-and I think these nerves could be compressed, and the doctor did not find this yet.) What else could cause this! I hope a doctor reads this question!:) Please help:o! I have been diagnosed with claudication when I walk, but not why I can not move my legs when I kneel down.

Reply Flag this Discussion

18 Replies:

• Claudication could be the explanation for this, the lack of blood circulation that makes it difficult to walk could also explain the trouble you have when trying to rise from a kneeling position.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had the exact same problem if i kneel down, it feels like my legs go numb. I am being sent to a vascular doctor.
    qwertyuiop123 453 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you for your help...:)they did a doppler study (to test blood vessels) of my legs in 2003, and all the readings were different, and yet they said it was normal.:confused: This week, on Tuesday I had an EMG of my lower legs. (But, I wondered why they did not test my thigh also, because my whole leg has stiffness, heaviness and pain.) Well...anyway...during the electrical part of the test, I asked if they found anything, and the man said that my doctor will tell me the results. Then a woman entered the room, and she did the needle part of the test. When the test was over, she left the room and the monitor was still on, and I saw that one part of the test was abnormal. It said "Tibial Nerve"...and MY reading was 0.38, and the normal reference range was >4.00! So I am hoping that this will finally help the doctors get a diagnosis of my legs! My doctor has NOT called yet...and I want to know what ALL the readings were! My leg stiffness and heaviness is worse. If I lift my leg up, with my knee facing forward, it is hard to move my foot.:eek:
    jeanill 24 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi jeanill i hope your doctors give you the full piture of your results and that they can help you out let us know what they found if you like.Good luck
  • Replying to Oscar77...Yes I will let you know what the doctors found out...whenever they tell me!:o I called the neurologist today, and her secretary said she was working in a different part of the hospital, and would not return until the 26th!:eek: I think I have nerve compression in my sacraliolic area, and that I might need an MRI in that area! (I was wondering if I had caudia equina syndrome, after researching my symptoms!) My leg aching, stiffness and heaviness has been getting worse since 2001! I do not think the doctors know everything yet! They found foraminal stenosis at the cervical levels (C3-4, and C4-5, and C5-6), and spinal stenosis at the lumbar level (L4-5), and multi-level degenerative disc disease in my WHOLE spine...but the doctor said that it was not too bad yet! Well...anyway, NO DOCTOR took an MRI of my sacral spine yet, where the pain is! So, in September of 2007, I called a disability attorney in desparation, because my legs hurt so bad when I walked. And she told me to make an appointment with a neurologist, and get a correct diagnosis!:) And the neurologist ordered an EMG of my legs...and I had the test this Tuesday! (FYI: Several people on the WD Forum also said to see a neurologist!!! So why didn't my doctor know to do this?:confused: I will keep everyone posted about my diagnosis!
  • My doctor said i have inflamatio between my L4 and S1.. would spinal stenosis cause inflamation?
  • My doctor said i have inflamatio between my L4 and S1.. would spinal stenosis cause inflamation?To answer your question...No spinal stenosis would not cause inflamation...but inflamation COULD cause spinal stenosis. I rersearched this because I HAVE borderline spinal stenosis at L4-L5. Stenosis is when a disc buldge or inflamation presses on the spinal cord or spinal nerves coming out of the spine. So if you have inflamation at L4-S1 you might have spinal cord compression (stenosis) in that area! (spinal stenosis usually occurs at L5-S1-because it is where the last disc of the Lumbar Spine (L-%), and the first disc of the Sacral Spine (S-1) join at the top of your pelvis). So an MRI would show if there is stenosis.
  • Hi jeanill i hope your doctors give you the full piture of your results and that they can help you out let us know what they found if you like. Good luck Hi oscar 77, just to let you know, I could not walk a straight line in the neurologists office, and she ordered an EMG test of my legs (...but they tested my TOES instead???) :(The EMG test showed my tibial nerve response was 0.38, even though the normal reference range was >4.00. And the test also showed "chronic motor axon loss in the right abductor hallucis muscle...and absent medial & lateral plantar nerve responses." Does anyone know what does this means? :confused:I waited and waited and the nurse called me two weeks later and said the tests were normal! What do you think? Are my doctor’s covering up some mistake? :mad:What is wrong with me?
  • To answer your question...No spinal stenosis would not cause inflamation...but inflamation COULD cause spinal stenosis. I rersearched this because I HAVE borderline spinal stenosis at L4-L5. Stenosis is when a disc buldge or inflamation presses on the spinal cord or spinal nerves coming out of the spine. So if you have inflamation at L4-S1 you might have spinal cord compression (stenosis) in that area! (spinal stenosis usually occurs at L5-S1-because it is where the last disc of the Lumbar Spine (L-5), and the first disc of the Sacral Spine (S-1) join at the top of your pelvis). So an MRI would show if there is stenosis here and what is causing it! I found a very good website that tells you all about your spine, www.spineuniverse.com/.../article2000.html and there is an illustration of all the vertebrae also...so you can see where L-4 and S-1 are located! Hopes this helps!:)
  • thanks I am going to an orthopedic doctor on Wednesday
  • Hi oscar 77, just to let you know, I could not walk a straight line in the neurologists office, and she ordered an EMG test of my legs (...but they tested my TOES instead???) The EMG test showed my tibial nerve response was 0.38, even though the normal reference range was >4.00. And the test also showed "chronic motor axon loss in the right abductor hallucis muscle...and absent medial & lateral plantar nerve responses." Does anyone know what does this means? I waited and waited and the nurse called me two weeks later and said the tests were normal! What do you think? Are my doctor’s covering up some mistake? What is wrong with me? hi jeanill this does seem a bit odd i am busy at the moment i will write a more detailed response soon
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• hello Jeanill are there any contentious issues between you, and your doctor or any of his colleagues such as a failure to diagnose any illness that you may have had. Its probably pretty common for doctors to sweep minor findings from x rays, and MRI''s under the carpet, but it sounds as if your problems are a little more serious.I cant really say much about your overall condition, i can tell you that your abductor hallucis muscle is on the bottom of your forefoot, and controls the sideways motion of your big toe, as you have probably guessed motor axon loss refers to an abnormal function of the nerves, i don't know about your tibial nerve response but i copied and pasted this from the following website. http://home.comcast.net/~WNOR/soleoffoot.htm The medial and lateral plantar nerves supply the muscles as well as the skin on the sole of the foot. They are branches of the tibial nerve.The medial plantar nerve supplies the: abductor hallucis muscle flexor digitorum brevis flexor hallucis brevis (in the third layer) 1st lumbrical The lateral plantar nerve supplies the remaining muscles in the sole of the foot. In a way, it is similar to the ulnar which supplies most of the small muscles of the hand. The muscles supplied are the: abductor digiti minimi accessory flexor (quadratus plantae) adductor hallucis flexor digiti minimi brevis interossei lumbricals 3, 4, 5 Did you notice that the lateral and medial plantar nerves branch from the tibial nerve, and that the medial plantar nerve supplies the abductor hallucis muscle.It is very hard to say if this is very serious, but surly any loss of nerve function is a cause for concern, and if this is true then i do not know how they can say your tests are normal. Keep in mind that i am a lay person like you, and there may be more information that would change the context of what we are talking about. Do you have any other injuries such as back problems your test results may not be the only thing wrong with you or the sole cause of your problems, however it is difficult to understand why they are being dismissed.Good luck Jeanill post again any time you feel like it.
  • hello Jeanill are there any contentious issues between you, and your doctor or any of his colleagues such as a failure to diagnose any illness that you may have had. Its probably pretty common for doctors to sweep minor findings from x rays, and MRI''s under the carpet, but it sounds as if your problems are a little more serious. I cant really say much about your overall condition, i can tell you that your abductor hallucis muscle is on the bottom of your forefoot, and controls the sideways motion of your big toe, as you have probably guessed motor axon loss refers to an abnormal function of the nerves, i don't know about your tibial nerve response but i copied and pasted this from the following website. http://home.comcast.net/~WNOR/soleoffoot.htm Hello oscar77:)...First...Thank you for the very good website showing me where the muscles in my feet are! And YES... There is a LOT of contention going on between me and my doctors. (I even have a letter telling me not to come back from an intern.) I do not think they believe my symptoms, because they have NOT found the cause of them yet! I even filed a complaint with the ombudsman about not getting a diagnosis of my leg problems! And I recently called an attorney who said I should "see a neurologist and get to correct dioagnosis." And that I should bring a list of questions with me! So I was researching my symptoms some more...that is all I seem to do lately...and I found something called "cauda equina syndrome" that seems to fit my symptoms of pelvic pain and trouble walking. I am going back to the neurologist next week, (Wednesday), and will ask him about this! I feel very ill too...and at my last appointment the neurologist SAW that I could NOT tandem walk (like walking on a tightrope) and she saw that I could NOT walk on my toes or do squats. And she ignored this! So I know that whatever is wrong...they have not found it yet. :confused:And...I am SO VERY GLAD that I found this website and can tell you about all of this! I live in Ohio. I will keep you posted. But I use the library computer...so it might take a week or so for me to respond. If I ever get a COMPLETE diagnosis...I will let you know all about that too! I have a lot to tell about my doctors and how they have been very rude to me, and uncaring over the past few years! As I write this, my legs feel numb and burn inside. Thank you again...
  • hi again jeanill you should be careful about criticising doctors, like anyone they have trouble admitting they are wrong. I know your priority is getting your health problems treated properly, and i don't know how much time and effort you have invested in your current doctors that have treated you badly, but i know that you cannot force doctors to treat you well, i think you have done well in your selection of an attorney his advice sounds pretty good.wishing you all the best jeanill
  • Errrrrr - if you had cauda equina syndrome you would be in BIG trouble. This is a surgical emergency that requires immediate decompression surgery. It happens rapidly and results in permanent paralysis from the site of the compression downwards.Are you incontinent? Have you lost sensation around your anus? Have you completely lost feeling in your feet/calves/legs? Have you lost motor function to both limbs? No? Then you don't have cauda equina.You know, many patients never receive a diagnosis. Medicine is not perfect, and doctors feel bad when they cannot make a diagnosis. I think it unlikely that they would deliberately lie to you however - why would it be to their advantage?There are many causes for your condition. Have you seen a neurologist? Without seeing the results of your EMG and knowing more it is very difficult to say what the problem might be. Have you noticed any changes in muscle bulk in you legs? Are you able to stand from squatting down without the use of your arms?Anyway, hope all goes well for you.
    happyprince123 33 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi again jeanill you should be careful about criticising doctors... OK...I will not criticize my doctors...because I had an appointment today with a different neurologist and he found something new...he wrote on my after visit summary: 1-Abnormality of gait, 2-Ataxia (unknowown cause), and 3-Intention tremor, (when I was asked to reach forward and touch his finger with my finger.) Then he sent me for more blood tests, and an MRI of my upper back, because he said it was not imaged, yet. He would not test me for Lyme disease though, (and that is what several wrongdiagnosis readers replied that I could have), So I think the doctors have not found a complete diagnosis yet, and I will probavly have to wait until my symptoms get even worse, (my walking is getting bad and sometimes I walk like a duck.) :confused: And the lawyer said (at my free initial consultation) that a neurologist could diagnose me, so I am SO glad I made I learned this, and made my appointment. Also from your previous reply about caudia equina syndrome...I was looking on google about sacroiliac nerves and found caudia equina syndrome...but I am glad you explained it because my symptoms are NOT as you described... And the bulk in my legs does seem bigger, and I can NOT stand up from a squatting down position without using my arms. I SHOWED the doctor this today, because I sat on the floor and it was very hard to get up...the doctor did NOT tell me why..he said it could be from spinal stenosis...but I think it is something else...:( Sorry this message is so long here...I will keep you posted, sincerely, jeanill
  • Hello again jeanill good to hear your neurologist has found something it sounds as though he is taking your case very seriously which is encouraging.it was not me who commented on cauda equina syndrome but i do agree that it is very unlikely that this is the condition from which you are suffering.bye for now Oscar.
  • Trick to your knee problem. Stay in bed and massage your knee. Do some knee lift exercise in your bed and flex. Try little, if you can do it today do tomorrow. Take a shower and spray warm water to at the knee. Skin cool down applied some Tiger balm pain cream.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement