Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Strange skin rash - Please help!

Posted In: Skin conditions 19 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 6, 2008
  • 11:09 AM

Hi, I've got this rash underneath my armpit and I've had it for a few weeks and it seems to be spreading.

Here are two pictures, please copy and paste the links into your browser;

http://i32.tinypic.com/2rorqx2.png
http://i28.tinypic.com/fxuemw.png

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Reply Flag this Discussion

19 Replies:

• Why is nobody helping? :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Because you need to go to the doctor and get lots of blood work done; get checked for lyme disease and syphilis.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, I've got this rash underneath my armpit and I've had it for a few weeks and it seems to be spreading. Here are two pictures, please copy and paste the links into your browser; http://i32.tinypic.com/2rorqx2.pnghttp://i28.tinypic.com/fxuemw.png Anyone have any ideas what it could be? What meds are you taking? Were you just on a course of antibiotics?DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • What meds are you taking? Were you just on a course of antibiotics?DOMYes, I'm currently on a course of Oxytetracycline for my acne.
  • could be an allergic reaction to the meds, but it looks funny...go to the doctor.
  • could be an allergic reaction to the meds, but it looks funny...go to the doctor.I'm probably going to go to a STD testing clinic this Friday. I'm only sixteen and this is pretty daunting you'll understand.Any advice?
  • That's a start; they can rule out syphilis but it could be your meds. Have them teach you how to use a condom so you don't pick up all of those viruses. I think you'd want to see your family doctor soon, too. A circle like rash can be lyme disease. Do you remember being bitten by a tick?
  • possibly tinea versicolor. Try lotrimin/clotrimazole first over the counter.
  • That's a start; they can rule out syphilis but it could be your meds. Have them teach you how to use a condom so you don't pick up all of those viruses. I think you'd want to see your family doctor soon, too. A circle like rash can be lyme disease. Do you remember being bitten by a tick?I definitely haven't been bitten by a tick, not that I can remember.And I know how to use a condom, it was oral sex on a girl. That was last October too!I'll go to my GP once any STDs have been ruled out, too embarrassed - they've known me since I was a few months old.In the past few days I've had little white ulcers on my lips which I believe is another symptom of syphilis? I also think there may be a chance that it's herpes because apparently it kicks in under stressful circumstance and I've just started doing my exams.Fantastic. ¬_¬P.s thanks for the advice!
  • I went to a GUM clinic today and have had a blood test and a urine sample taken.The doctor said the rash was possibly psoriasis but I'll have the test results in three weeks.So I'll see if I'm clear for syphilis, chlamydia and HIV.If I have the latter I don't know what I'll do, even though it's unlikely :|
  • Didn't he check you for lyme..let us know the results next week.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• No, she wasn't very helpful really. Just gave me those tests.The whole time I was explaining the symptoms of syphilis that I had she was shaking her head slightly, not sure if it was a habit or if she was disagreeing.She was nice enough, but I don't know - if my results are clear she told me to go to my GP about the rash though, so I suppose I will.Totally worried about it now, slap bang in my exams - perfect.Results if they're bad are sent in a week-ish usually. If it's clear they send them in 3 weeks.It's too long. I asked her to take a swab too and she said no.
  • Sounds like you should be looking for a new doctor. One who give a ***n
  • They still haven't sent me a text...And the rash has gone... I think.
  • Probably an allergic reaction to the meds then eh?
  • All tests were negative.Rash has gone.Guess it must have been a reaction to the oxytetracycline!
  • It looks like one of two things:first is ringworm - especially the larger one, appears to have a bit of clearing in the center from the picture. And the location is perfect for it - warm moist area. Easily treated with an over the counter antifungal cream2nd - with the smaller lesions and the one big one it could be candida. Basically diaper rash under the arm instead of the diaper area -- it is a yeast infection - warm moist area helps it grow. And when it is on the skin, unlike a vaginal yeast infection, there doesn't tend to be a lot if any discharge. It doesn't look like a syphilic rash - wrong location for one. And at with how old you are, for the rash to appear, you would have had to have been exposed years ago - the rash is later stage syphilis. I also don't think it is psoriasis - wrong location and wrong look.My bet is that this is ringworm. Try an antifungal cream for a couple weeks and see how it goes. Apply 2-3 times daily - all over the lesions and then about 3cm around it (on the good skin). Keep doing it if/until the lesions are completely gone and then for one more week. The big thing is try to keep under your arms as dry as possible - warm moist places are ideal for stuff to grow.Good luckAmanda NP
  • Gotta agree with Amanda on that one. It's definitely a fungal infection. Resident J.P Thibeault, M.Sc. Biology, B.Sc. Biochemistry
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 27, 2009
    • 09:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This looks like something called psoriasis rosea i think. It just appears in teenage to young 20's girls and is pretty commong. it starts with a mother patch on you torso or limb and then spreads smaller patches about. They usually last about 4 months then fade and disappear.Nobody knows what causes them but some have suggested a reaction to meds, a weakened immune system or just a genetic thing.hope this helped
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 13, 2010
    • 02:48 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement