Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Strange skin rash - Please help!

Posted In: Skin conditions 19 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 6, 2008
  • 11:09 AM

Hi, I've got this rash underneath my armpit and I've had it for a few weeks and it seems to be spreading.

Here are two pictures, please copy and paste the links into your browser;

http://i32.tinypic.com/2rorqx2.png
http://i28.tinypic.com/fxuemw.png

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Reply Flag this Discussion

19 Replies:

• Why is nobody helping? :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Because you need to go to the doctor and get lots of blood work done; get checked for lyme disease and syphilis.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, I've got this rash underneath my armpit and I've had it for a few weeks and it seems to be spreading. Here are two pictures, please copy and paste the links into your browser; http://i32.tinypic.com/2rorqx2.pnghttp://i28.tinypic.com/fxuemw.png Anyone have any ideas what it could be? What meds are you taking? Were you just on a course of antibiotics?DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • What meds are you taking? Were you just on a course of antibiotics?DOMYes, I'm currently on a course of Oxytetracycline for my acne.
  • could be an allergic reaction to the meds, but it looks funny...go to the doctor.
  • could be an allergic reaction to the meds, but it looks funny...go to the doctor.I'm probably going to go to a STD testing clinic this Friday. I'm only sixteen and this is pretty daunting you'll understand.Any advice?
  • That's a start; they can rule out syphilis but it could be your meds. Have them teach you how to use a condom so you don't pick up all of those viruses. I think you'd want to see your family doctor soon, too. A circle like rash can be lyme disease. Do you remember being bitten by a tick?
  • possibly tinea versicolor. Try lotrimin/clotrimazole first over the counter.
  • That's a start; they can rule out syphilis but it could be your meds. Have them teach you how to use a condom so you don't pick up all of those viruses. I think you'd want to see your family doctor soon, too. A circle like rash can be lyme disease. Do you remember being bitten by a tick?I definitely haven't been bitten by a tick, not that I can remember.And I know how to use a condom, it was oral sex on a girl. That was last October too!I'll go to my GP once any STDs have been ruled out, too embarrassed - they've known me since I was a few months old.In the past few days I've had little white ulcers on my lips which I believe is another symptom of syphilis? I also think there may be a chance that it's herpes because apparently it kicks in under stressful circumstance and I've just started doing my exams.Fantastic. ¬_¬P.s thanks for the advice!
  • I went to a GUM clinic today and have had a blood test and a urine sample taken.The doctor said the rash was possibly psoriasis but I'll have the test results in three weeks.So I'll see if I'm clear for syphilis, chlamydia and HIV.If I have the latter I don't know what I'll do, even though it's unlikely :|
  • Didn't he check you for lyme..let us know the results next week.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• No, she wasn't very helpful really. Just gave me those tests.The whole time I was explaining the symptoms of syphilis that I had she was shaking her head slightly, not sure if it was a habit or if she was disagreeing.She was nice enough, but I don't know - if my results are clear she told me to go to my GP about the rash though, so I suppose I will.Totally worried about it now, slap bang in my exams - perfect.Results if they're bad are sent in a week-ish usually. If it's clear they send them in 3 weeks.It's too long. I asked her to take a swab too and she said no.
  • Sounds like you should be looking for a new doctor. One who give a ***n
  • They still haven't sent me a text...And the rash has gone... I think.
  • Probably an allergic reaction to the meds then eh?
  • All tests were negative.Rash has gone.Guess it must have been a reaction to the oxytetracycline!
  • It looks like one of two things:first is ringworm - especially the larger one, appears to have a bit of clearing in the center from the picture. And the location is perfect for it - warm moist area. Easily treated with an over the counter antifungal cream2nd - with the smaller lesions and the one big one it could be candida. Basically diaper rash under the arm instead of the diaper area -- it is a yeast infection - warm moist area helps it grow. And when it is on the skin, unlike a vaginal yeast infection, there doesn't tend to be a lot if any discharge. It doesn't look like a syphilic rash - wrong location for one. And at with how old you are, for the rash to appear, you would have had to have been exposed years ago - the rash is later stage syphilis. I also don't think it is psoriasis - wrong location and wrong look.My bet is that this is ringworm. Try an antifungal cream for a couple weeks and see how it goes. Apply 2-3 times daily - all over the lesions and then about 3cm around it (on the good skin). Keep doing it if/until the lesions are completely gone and then for one more week. The big thing is try to keep under your arms as dry as possible - warm moist places are ideal for stuff to grow.Good luckAmanda NP
  • Gotta agree with Amanda on that one. It's definitely a fungal infection. Resident J.P Thibeault, M.Sc. Biology, B.Sc. Biochemistry
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 27, 2009
    • 09:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This looks like something called psoriasis rosea i think. It just appears in teenage to young 20's girls and is pretty commong. it starts with a mother patch on you torso or limb and then spreads smaller patches about. They usually last about 4 months then fade and disappear.Nobody knows what causes them but some have suggested a reaction to meds, a weakened immune system or just a genetic thing.hope this helped
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 13, 2010
    • 02:48 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement