Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

Auditory Processing Disorder or attention

Posted In: Mental conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: nec1912
  • May 1, 2008
  • 04:08 AM

Does anyone know the proper name for it? For the past some years , I seem to have a problem with attention they call it.I can watch TV or hear a radio or talk to people.

But some times in school if the teacher is talking too fast or the talk-show guy is talking too fast , I cannot processes it or only get tin bits out of it.

Also I like rading and pictures over auditory.Well because some times I have a hard time processes it , or only get tin bits out of it..IF THEY are talking too fast .I need them to talk slow and I need time to think about it to processes it .

But I do not have problems talking to people or if I'm watching TV ..I take it I have Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) ? But not that bad?

If the school teacher is giving a list of facts ,I get confused and the school teacher must talk slow and a delay before going on to the next fact.

Hearing auditory CD's that are educational ,I some times have to hear it over and over some times to processes it .And names and dates are hard for me.

If some one is talking and giving me facts and is talking too fast I will only processes the first fact and get nothing else , or only get tin bits of it or nothing.

So do you think this is attention problem they call it or Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) ?

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• Does anyone know the proper name for it? For the past some years , I seem to have a problem with attention they call it.I can watch TV or hear a radio or talk to people. But some times in school if the teacher is talking too fast or the talk-show guy is talking too fast , I cannot processes it or only get tin bits out of it. Also I like rading and pictures over auditory.Well because some times I have a hard time processes it , or only get tin bits out of it..IF THEY are talking too fast .I need them to talk slow and I need time to think about it to processes it . But I do not have problems talking to people or if I'm watching TV ..I take it I have Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) ? But not that bad? If the school teacher is giving a list of facts ,I get confused and the school teacher must talk slow and a delay before going on to the next fact. Hearing auditory CD's that are educational ,I some times have to hear it over and over some times to processes it .And names and dates are hard for me. If some one is talking and giving me facts and is talking too fast I will only processes the first fact and get nothing else , or only get tin bits of it or nothing. So do you think this is attention problem they call it or Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) ?My daughter has a servere form of this and ritalin in low dose helps her. We also play mozart at night and she has music lessons. She is affected in other unexpected ways too like not being able to locate an object on a cluttered table. Classrooms that are busy with stimuli, as most are, are highly problematic. Try not to sit on the sides of the room and work to your strengths. Look it up it is very involved. My daughter is an amazing kid and her disorder is not the sum of her, in fact it makes her different and that is way better than being ordinary. Now you know what it is you can find ways to cope with it, don't let it get you down.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 10, 2010
    • 06:56 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement