Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Son diagnosed with Shingles but symptoms worsen and change

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: journey67
  • April 15, 2008
  • 02:46 AM

My fifteen year old son began suffering from symptoms seven days ago. Actually, he had a terrible cold sore that came up on his lip eleven days ago. But, seven days ago, the gland on the left side of his neck suddenly became swollen and he developed a rash on his left side. The rash consisted of five red, raised areas, each with a tiny dot as if from an insect bite in the center. THese started underneath his left armpit and traveled in a line down his left side to the lower part of his ribcage. By the following morning, the gland was the size of a golf ball and his left ear was also hurting. Upon examination by the first doctor, we were told that he had shingles and prescribed Valtrex and Tagamet. The next morning, he could hardly lift is head to get out of bed and complained that the rash was very painful. I took him to a second doctor who said that part of the rash did look like shingles but was not following the typical dermatone pattern of shingles. She tested him for mono which came back negative and a blood count showed normal white and red blood counts. During this visit, we also discovered that he had one of the "bumps" on his right upper arm. SHe also noted that his left ear was infected but had to be a viral infection since his white blood count was normal. This doctor added Augmentin to his regimin. By the third morning, he was in a tremendous amount of pain but felt better after finally being able to get out of bed and take his meds along with tylenol. A call to the second doctor reassured us that if he continued his meds, he would get better. Today is the 7th day since the glandular swelling and ear ache began. The entire left side of his neck is still swollen, ear is still "stopped up" and hurting and now his left eye is bloodshot and red. The redness has subsided from the original rash but he has developed other similar spots on his abdomen area. Several people who have seen the rash since and have had shingles say that it does not resemble shingles at all. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• I just read that mumps is making a comeback. You might ask about it.
    aquila 1,263 Replies Flag this Response
  • I think shingles ususally remains only on one side of the body, using the spine as the separator. Is this the case for your son?
    wisconsinwendy 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • I would go with mumps (actually would be my first choice) or cat scratch fever (do you have a cat?)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • They need to analyze a couple of the rashes; I did see on Mysterious Diagnosis about a woman who got a case of herpes 1 and it spread all over her body. It was very serious because it was not contained in the ganglion, but deposited directly into her blood stream via a bite. They could never figure it out. It didn't look like anything recognizable. I would keep him on the antiviral until they get the lab work back. The ear involvement sounds like shingles.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Have his lymphatic system checked/biopsied, namely the occipital and the axillary and pectoral. sometime the body will send and store toxins in the lymph nodes causing the symptoms mentioned.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement