Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Bladder problems.......

Posted In: Medical Stories 6 Replies
  • Posted By: Patty Louise
  • April 14, 2008
  • 00:53 AM

OK I quit smoking Feb. 1 thanx to Chantix. My gums started bleeding 4 weeks ago. I have very healthy gums, I floss, use a water pic & get my regular check ups, so this is very unusual.

4 weeks ago I started feeling like I had to urinate every 20 minutes. Waking up during the nite to potty. The doctor has found blood in my urine & I will be having 2 test Tuesday for 3 hours to check my bladder.

After I quit smoking, something I read suggested I take Vitamin A (good for lungs). Other than quitting the cigs, I stopped the Chantix a month ago. I still take the Vit A & now I also have high blood pressure which I have never had before.

Bottom line - my dentist thinks this is all connected somehow. Anyone have any advice? I have read everything I can on line & can't seem to find a connection to bleeding gums & blood in urine & high blood pressure. :confused:

Thanks so much for reading my somewhat long & complicated question!

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• OK I quit smoking Feb. 1 thanx to Chantix. My gums started bleeding 4 weeks ago. I have very healthy gums, I floss, use a water pic & get my regular check ups, so this is very unusual. 4 weeks ago I started feeling like I had to urinate every 20 minutes. Waking up during the nite to potty. The doctor has found blood in my urine & I will be having 2 test Tuesday for 3 hours to check my bladder. After I quit smoking, something I read suggested I take Vitamin A (good for lungs). Other than quitting the cigs, I stopped the Chantix a month ago. I still take the Vit A & now I also have high blood pressure which I have never had before. Bottom line - my dentist thinks this is all connected somehow. Anyone have any advice? I have read everything I can on line & can't seem to find a connection to bleeding gums & blood in urine & high blood pressure. :confused: Thanks so much for reading my somewhat long & complicated question! Hi Patty Louise, Are those the entirety of your symtoms? If there are more, even if of no apparant connection, they can tell a lot sometimes. Especially if they are the ones your doc has gotten tired of hearing about and says don't matter because non-specific or whatever.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies Flag this Response
  • Make sure your doctor knows about your smoking history. I don't mean to scare you, but it is a risk factor for bladder cancer.Take Care
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you so much everyone. I really don't have any other symptoms......have had a couple of bouts with acid reflux lately - maybe twice a week. But that's about it. I really thot things would be so much better after quitting a 35 year smoking habit - but I actually feel worse! I won't go back to smoking, but I am sad about these health issues that I never had before...... After the test Tuesday I will see the doctor a week later for the results.....gosh.....don't want to rush anything...:rolleyes:
    Patty Louise 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I read about bladder cancer & actually have 2 out of 3 symptoms. No pain when using the bathroom. I hope that is good news.
    Patty Louise 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Dear Ms. Patti: I had bladder problems, basically leaking and not feeling it go. I went to my PCP and he (is amazing) stated that I may have interstitial cysttis. This is basiclly ulcers in your bladder and therefore, blood in the urine. With this I also experienced groin pain, like in period cramps, pain in my vagina, awful pain and fequency of urinating. I weent to a great urologist and was eventually treated with horse linament, which they insert into the bladder by catherizing. I had six treatments and it was wonderful. No more leaking, no more pads, no more pain and it lasted for one year. Unfortunately, because I owe them a bill, I have been refused treatment, as I am having problems again. I also have MS and it's associated wierd symptoms, fibromyalgia, neuropathy in my legs, high blood pressure and high clolesterol. I am in wonderful shape. I just take one day at a time and try to push through the pain. Good luck to you and everyone that reads this. Don't be terribly afraid of MS, there is hope and treatment and it is not cancer. Again, good luck and God Bless. PS" I also have swelling on each side of my neck, get regular stiff necks and sweat profusely around that area. I failed to mention I also have spinal stenosis, rthritis, bone spurs and so on. I am trying to find out why the swelling and sweating and no one seems able to tell me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Patty, go to www.pfizerpro.com & type in the search bar "chantix adverse reactions" - - - I'm sure you'll be shocked at all the side effects this poison can cause.
    phxeyes1 3 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement