Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

panic attacks after eating

Posted In: Medical Errors 50 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 31, 2008
  • 04:10 PM

howdy y'all. i'm a 20 year old gal from DE and was thinking someone could help me find out what the heck is going on with me. one night last july, i had a panic attack completely out of the blue, and until i saw my doctor i kept feeling like i was going to have another one at any time. i suppose it was due to my mental state - i had just moved out of my parents house, just broke up with my boyfriend, was about to start at a new school in a month. i went to see my doctor and he prescribed citalopram (pretty much the same as lexapro) and for the next 6 months, i felt like my old self again.

until january. i'm out at a restaraunt and right after i had a shrimp cocktail, i had a full-blown panic attack. thought it was weird, maybe i should just stay away from shrimp. but then i had a panic attack after eating eggs, after eating a chicken wrap, after eating chinese food, after eating pasta, you name it. basically any meal at all, no matter what it consisted of. and if i don't have a panic attack, i feel like i'm going to. it just feels like my body can't "handle" food anymore. and forget about drinking coffee or alcohol - that's asking for a panic attack after 3 sips (this makes me very very sad as i am a coffee lover, AND almost 21). i went to see my doctor again. he said he thinks my panic attacks are still just from my mental state. there's no way i think it's due to my mental state now. i'm a really happy person and have close to no stress in my life. what about the food? he thinks i might have acid reflux. while i do have some symptoms of acid reflux (chest burning, nausea), why am i having panic attacks? is that just my body's reaction to having acid reflux? is it the food? do i need to change my diet completely? if so what do i need to eat and what should i avoid?

first my doctor gave me a stronger dosage of citalopram; 20mg to 40mg. didn't help even a bit. then he sent me to get bloodwork done, an upper GI, x-rays of my tummy, and all of that came back normal. i'm going to see a cardiologist on the 2nd just to make sure my heart stuff is ok, but my doctor thinks it's fine.

my boyfriend is a health nut and knows a lot more about medical stuff than i do, and thinks it could be anything from my diet to candida. he thinks i shouldn't go back on a medicine like citalopram though, because anything that messes with your brain chemistry is bad for you. what do you think?

it's been almost 3 months of almost constant panic attack/panic attack feelings. has anybody had/heard of something like this?? thank you for any advice you might have!!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

50 Replies:

• hi i am also a 21 year old female having panic attacks i have to noticed that i am having them after i eat i am taking med at night i hope u the best of luck i am going though the same thing i fight every day with them literally
    worriedmom20 9 Replies Flag this Response
  • thank you! i hope we both beat this!! if you find out any more info on what it could be, could you let me know? :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • If you have symptoms of reflux, I would consider treatment for it which is as simple as taking an antiacid everyday. This may relief some of your anxious feelings about food. It's worht the try.
  • i tried antiacids.. tums never worked. i bought pepcid complete and for one night it made me feel perfectly fine... and then that was it. now it has no effect at all. it never felt that much like acid reflux though. it's so weird! i can't describe it.
  • It is probably not the food you eat that causes the panic attacks, eating is just a trigger for this mind body reaction. Your whole fear response system seems to be on high alert just waiting for the next trigger to launch another attack. You have to look into the circumstances when the first panic attack started and get some help looking into the emotional part of this. Even though you declare yourself being totally happy now with your life their might be some unresolved emotional issues lingering in your mindset. You might find some help by going to www.panicrelief.org. or try EFT (Emotional freedom Technique) www.emofree.com
    sourris 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • The same thing has been happening to me and it is annoying. I am so anti going to the doctor that I have not done it yet. The first "spell" happened to me after eating a spicy chicken wrap-I was very hot and flushed, dizzy, itching on the bottom of my feet (WEIRD) had a major racing heart, foggy and lightheaded and it ended with chills and a headache. The second one was about 2 weeks later, after I had tuna salad with Spicy mustard-I got hot and sweaty, really red and flushed lightheaded, racing heart again itching of the bottom of my feet (although not as bad as the first time) and again it ended with a headache. The third time I had chicken tacos and jalapenos...no itchy feet, I was just hot, flushed, and had a racing heart...so you are probably thinking i am crazy for eating these spicy foods as did I...so I stopped (thinking I was allergic to some spicy ingredient) until I had my 4th spell today...i ate NOTHING SPICY and developed the heat and redness and a racing heart and a minor headache. I read about panic attacks after the 2nd one and read a piece that said to learn to calm yourself down when it happens, that may be why spell #3 was not horrible and spell #4 was even less harsh.....I hate this, does anyone have any advice or input???:mad:(that's my red face)
    steph123 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • sourris, i doubt that my mind associates food with panic attacks, unless its subconscious. i can eat without having full-blown panic attacks now, but instead of having those i just feel sick sometimes. my panic attacks have changed as well... now i wake up with them in the middle of the night and they feel completely different. i start internally shaking, my teeth chattering, painful palpatations in my chest, and i have a tough time breathing. i never had panic attacks like that before, and i'm wondering if they really are panic attacks. it feels more like my body is reacting to something. it's really odd.steph, i too am really anti-doctor about this whole thing... when my doctor said it was acid reflux, i thought ehh maybe. i got tested for it and it turns out i don't have it at all. i figure the best thing to do is just eat EXTREMELY well... so many fruits and veggies a day. i've also been staying away from dairy. i've been doing that for a few weeks and don't have panic attacks after eating, but sometimes i might feel a little sick. definitely better than a panic attack though! my attacks have completely changed, and also i've started getting the worst migraines of my life. my symtoms have done a 180 since i posted this and now it's a whole new problem. ugh!but for you, i would say try eating lots of good stuff and hopefully they will go away.. i definitely feel better than before, hope you will too!
  • Hi everyone I'm 22 years old and had my first panic attack when i was 13 years old. I also notice that when I eat food ( I haven't noticed with differant types ) however after i'm about half way through eating, everything starts getting brighter, and looks more vivid. I feel a little lightheaded/ dizzy sensation and that lasts for about 5 minutes or sometimes longer. It is interesting how almost everyone here has been told they had acid reflux as i was told that also. I don't however have acid reflux, and that was proved by a upper endoscopy. I have landed in the Ambulance with panic attacks that shoot my blood pressure all the way up to 190/100 and by the time i get to the hospital is is normal or close to normal again. I do however have a nodule/cyst on my thyroid and a problem with my adrenal glands (overactive) Has everyone had their thyroid checked, that can make you have anxiety like symptoms....the test is called TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) if you google that im sure it will bring up more about it. ( Thyroid and anxiety like symptoms) I hope that this post can help some of you out, or atleast let you know your not alone on this journey. Stay strong.
  • Start by avoiding all carbs, stick with a high protein diet and see if you get any more attacks. If this works, then this points out that the sugars or carbs are signalling the pancreas which is overworking the adrenal glands. The adrenal glands will kick in with a sugar shock. Adrenals are the typical start of a panic situation. Modify the diet, get plenty of nutrition and proper supplements and the problem should disappear. You may also consider taking some form of digestive enzymes (full spectrum of pancreatic enzymes w/ hcl ) and see if that helps. But I think that the carbs are setting everything off.
    LINENUP 122 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi! It sounds to me like you may have a sensitivity to shellfish, &/or msg-type food enhancers and preservatives. Basically, don't eat shellfish next time you go out for fish. It can have a mind-altering effect. Panic/anxiety attacks are not acid reflux. Because of the cyst on your thyroid and for other reasons you have mentioned, sometimes a reaction ro a sensitivity goes to the weakest places...thyroid and adrenal glands and an immune system which are too tired to handle the stress of the reaction to what you ate. It would be practical to get a hair analysis (checks and compares levels of minerals related to you as a living system of systems ) done by someone who knows how to interpret them correctly, and get a saliva test for your thyroid levels. Both non-invasive and relatively inexpensive. My favorite remedy when I have eaten something accidentally with msg by accident (you never really know what is in your food especially when you eat out) is a liquid homeopathic remedy that handles food additives. Blood work misses thyroid problems almost all the time. (One reason there are so many sluggish, confused, obese people....they have been told that their thyroid is fine when it isn't, and then don't know where else to look for answers.) Just an aside, if you are having diet soda, sweetened tea, or adding sweetners to your drinks....that can also cause mind-altering effects from the saccharin, aspartame, etc. that would include "sugar-free" pie, cake, almost anything that would typically have regular sugar in it but has sweeteners instead. Good luck.
    Providence 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi! It sounds to me like you may have a sensitivity to shellfish, &/or msg-type food enhancers and preservatives. Basically, don't eat shellfish next time you go out for fish. It can have a mind-altering effect. Panic/anxiety attacks are not acid reflux. Because of the cyst on your thyroid and for other reasons you have mentioned, sometimes a reaction ro a sensitivity goes to the weakest places...thyroid and adrenal glands and an immune system which are too tired to handle the stress of the reaction to what you ate. It would be practical to get a hair analysis (checks and compares levels of minerals related to you as a living system of systems ) done by someone who knows how to interpret them correctly, and get a saliva test for your thyroid levels. Both non-invasive and relatively inexpensive. My favorite remedy when I have eaten something accidentally with msg by accident (you never really know what is in your food especially when you eat out) is a liquid homeopathic remedy that handles food additives. Blood work misses thyroid problems almost all the time. (One reason there are so many sluggish, confused, obese people....they have been told that their thyroid is fine when it isn't, and then don't know where else to look for answers.) Just an aside, if you are having diet soda, sweetened tea, or adding sweetners to your drinks....that can also cause mind-altering effects from the saccharin, aspartame, etc. that would include "sugar-free" pie, cake, almost anything that would typically have regular sugar in it but has sweeteners instead. Good luck.
    Providence 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My poor daughter (18 now) has been suffering similar symptoms since about 8 or 9. She's taken 3 different anti-depressants. None really worked. Ativan helps sometimes but she is afraid of swallowing pills.Family therapist did NOT help (what a waste)What is helping is a cognitive behavior therapist. This particular one specializes in helping people to quit smoking. I even went so far as to taking her to this clinic http://www.levinsonmedical.com/home.html in NYC - he specializes in learning disabilities but also panic/anxiety.He prescribed an over-the-counter Dramamine type medicine plus sea sickness wrist bands. We haven't started the meds yet but the Therapy has helped her to cope.
    roccos 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello, I am 26 years old, and over the past 3 years or so, everytime i eat chicken from restaurants, (ex. wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches, grilled chicken from diners or bob evans, Chineese Food w/Chicken, McDonalds Chicken Sandwiches, or even Chicken from Chicken & Dumplins from Cracker Barrrell) my face would just get super hot and red!!!! I mean super hot and reddddd!!! It became this running joke with my friends, that whenever i would come back from lunch with my boyfriend they could tell whether or not i had chicken for lunch, and up to the last few months thats all its ever been, was just a red face and super hot!!!! Now, its gotten worse, as ive started dieting i was eating turkey sandwiches at lunch and chicken for dinner, i become super lightheaded with the red hot face, and super super dizzy!! It sounds dumb but the best way to describe is, is to say i feel drunk, thats what i have told my doctors, i was tested for diabetes (my mom, aunt & Grandmom are all diabetic, my mom & AUnt are twins) and he said i am border line diabetic, but when i have something with sugar it doesnt affect me, only chicken, I can eat chicken from Purdue brands from the grocery store, but nothing at a restaurant. I have been tested for allergies to Chicken, Egg Whites & Egg Yolks (which i can both eat fine with no red face) and Turkey, all which came back negative...i havent been able to find ANYONE else with this problem and i am tired of doing blood work every week, please help!!!! I can't find an answer to this!!!
    Jaysgurl42 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I too am have the same problems with panic attacks. I used to be able to drink, eat chinese and have no problems. Until a year and a half ago when I had my first panic attack that I thought I was going to die with a heart attack. It was scary. I couldn't pin point why I got the darn attack, because I've been through much more stress in my life than at that point in time. I was starting a new relationship in which I was/am extremely happy in. I am still in the same relationship so nothing really changed. My doctor put me on citrolapram (sp?) and it doesn't seem to change when I get the panic attacks. Any help, suggestions would be great? I need to enjoy my life again. I want to be able to have fun. I don't want to have to worry about having a drink & having an attack & be embarrassed while out & about with friends.Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 7, 2009
    • 11:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I can't believe not one person has considered food allergies!! Preservatives like MSG and sodium benzoate are well know panic and depression causes along with aspartame which also causes migraines. Stop eating wheat, gluten , and all dairy and all artificial chemicals in food and I garantee thru will stop. I know it I'd not easy but it works and your must have interdermal and blood food allergy testing.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 1, 2009
    • 05:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to get a blood/glucose test done. A six-hour blood/glucose test is most accurate and able to detect a blood-sugar imbalance, but it is possible that results still won't show entirely accurate results. For instance my sister and I are both hypoglycemic, and our levels didn't drop until the fourth and fifth hours of our tests. But my father had to go for two tests until his issue showed up. I was having horrible panic attacks in the morning (the time when, obviously, you wake up from going a long period without eating), headaches, anxiety, sleepless nights, and I was having heart palpitations after eating. I balanced my diet with a hypoglycemic meal plan, talked with a therapist to help me through some of the emotional complications of hypoglycemia, and frequently do yoga. It took my father two years to stabilize his blood, but my sister and I were both much more regimented and determined. I can say I'm feeling almost amazing after two months. I take no medication, and I eat every three hours. Fresh veggies, lots of protein, a little bit of natural juices, and a good amount of complex carbs put me back on track. Best of luck to you all! My prayers are with you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 13, 2009
    • 04:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Research hypoglycemia and talk to a doctor. It may be your cure. It was mine and my father's!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 13, 2009
    • 04:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi! so many people have already covered so many possible reasons.no need to repeat them .i simply add- i have suffered from panic attacks( still do often ). i just want to draw ur attention to a possibility that is -intestinal worms. i was sure at the age of 25 that i had some kind of heart problem.it turned out to be tape worms and all kinds of worms prevalent in medical world.one tablet chewed by me ,within an hour my heart was beating normal. one more possibility, IBS ( irritable bowels syndrome ).plz google IBS.once i was kept on long n wrong medication for throat problem ,after that i developed IBS for good.ask ur doctor for a broadspectrum tablet for intestinal worms which will cover all kinds of worms( i take albendazole ) .when u take de-worming medicine ( at night after meals mostly),make sure u take a good laxative with it otherwise the half dead, unconscious ones n eggs will come around after few days and start gnawing ur guts.repeat the dose after 10 days.if u feel flatulence after de-worming try little dose of probiotics before meals or probiotic curds easily available in good stores.i really wish this helps u. i know what u r going thru.
    hope1110 5 Replies
    • October 13, 2009
    • 07:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • howdy y'all. i'm a 20 year old gal from DE and was thinking someone could help me find out what the heck is going on with me. one night last july, i had a panic attack completely out of the blue, and until i saw my doctor i kept feeling like i was going to have another one at any time. i suppose it was due to my mental state - i had just moved out of my parents house, just broke up with my boyfriend, was about to start at a new school in a month. i went to see my doctor and he prescribed citalopram (pretty much the same as lexapro) and for the next 6 months, i felt like my old self again. until january. i'm out at a restaraunt and right after i had a shrimp cocktail, i had a full-blown panic attack. thought it was weird, maybe i should just stay away from shrimp. but then i had a panic attack after eating eggs, after eating a chicken wrap, after eating chinese food, after eating pasta, you name it. basically any meal at all, no matter what it consisted of. and if i don't have a panic attack, i feel like i'm going to. it just feels like my body can't "handle" food anymore. and forget about drinking coffee or alcohol - that's asking for a panic attack after 3 sips (this makes me very very sad as i am a coffee lover, AND almost 21). i went to see my doctor again. he said he thinks my panic attacks are still just from my mental state. there's no way i think it's due to my mental state now. i'm a really happy person and have close to no stress in my life. what about the food? he thinks i might have acid reflux. while i do have some symptoms of acid reflux (chest burning, nausea), why am i having panic attacks? is that just my body's reaction to having acid reflux? is it the food? do i need to change my diet completely? if so what do i need to eat and what should i avoid? first my doctor gave me a stronger dosage of citalopram; 20mg to 40mg. didn't help even a bit. then he sent me to get bloodwork done, an upper GI, x-rays of my tummy, and all of that came back normal. i'm going to see a cardiologist on the 2nd just to make sure my heart stuff is ok, but my doctor thinks it's fine. my boyfriend is a health nut and knows a lot more about medical stuff than i do, and thinks it could be anything from my diet to candida. he thinks i shouldn't go back on a medicine like citalopram though, because anything that messes with your brain chemistry is bad for you. what do you think?it's been almost 3 months of almost constant panic attack/panic attack feelings. has anybody had/heard of something like this?? thank you for any advice you might have!!!Have a sonogram done on your gallbladder. Blood tests don't always tell the story. My husband had chest palpitations and panicky feelings. Thought he was having a heart attack a couple of times. Went misdiagnosed for 2 years until he was doubled over in pain. No one thought to check the gallbladder. had it remived and NO SYMPTOMS AT ALL!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 21, 2009
    • 01:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello there,Have you made any progress. I have exactly the same with practically all foods. It starts off with mind fog and confusion. I then get all gittery, shaky and my heart rate increases. I then start to get hot and have a tightening of the chest. I then get real panicky and sometimes a bit itchy. Following this I get very depressed and have OCD (you know checking stuff 10 times etc)When I first started to feel like this, I used to have full blown panic attacks, because I panicked at how I was feeling as well as the results of the food (I didn't realise it was food induced at that point). Thought I was having a heart attack and ended up in ambulances and in hospitals on numerous occasions. Now I just get he symptoms but don't get the full blown panic attackUnfortunately I then used alcohol to calm myself down as, like you I was told it was stress related and subconsciuos (counselling required) and this made me start to wonder what the ***l it could be. I found the alcohol made the symptoms worse for a drink or two, but after the first couple I started feeling much better - after 4 or 5 or more things were dandy.The trouble was I would wake up in the morning after the booze like a nutter - scared of everything, panicking over everything and feeling really depressed. Even water would then make me feel really ill and this could last up to a week. This cycle snowballed and I won't go into the details , but things got much worse.Anyway, nowadays everything I eat gives me heart palpitations and makes me absolutely knackered.I can only eat meat, fish and mild vegetables - and only drink water. Ths lot still makes me feel crap, but a lot better than I would be if eating carbs etc. Only this morning I tried a handful of Brazil nuts and nearly had to go home from work because of the above symptoms. I'm extremely hacked off with the whole thing, but have been on the protein and veggies diet fot 18 months, and have noticed an improvement in the way I feel.It's just so difficult to enjoy yourself when everyone else is eating and drinking whatever they fancy and seemingly having no side efects whatsoever.ATBMB
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 30, 2009
    • 05:19 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement