Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

panic attacks after eating

Posted In: Medical Errors 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 31, 2008
  • 04:10 PM

howdy y'all. i'm a 20 year old gal from DE and was thinking someone could help me find out what the heck is going on with me. one night last july, i had a panic attack completely out of the blue, and until i saw my doctor i kept feeling like i was going to have another one at any time. i suppose it was due to my mental state - i had just moved out of my parents house, just broke up with my boyfriend, was about to start at a new school in a month. i went to see my doctor and he prescribed citalopram (pretty much the same as lexapro) and for the next 6 months, i felt like my old self again.

until january. i'm out at a restaraunt and right after i had a shrimp cocktail, i had a full-blown panic attack. thought it was weird, maybe i should just stay away from shrimp. but then i had a panic attack after eating eggs, after eating a chicken wrap, after eating chinese food, after eating pasta, you name it. basically any meal at all, no matter what it consisted of. and if i don't have a panic attack, i feel like i'm going to. it just feels like my body can't "handle" food anymore. and forget about drinking coffee or alcohol - that's asking for a panic attack after 3 sips (this makes me very very sad as i am a coffee lover, AND almost 21). i went to see my doctor again. he said he thinks my panic attacks are still just from my mental state. there's no way i think it's due to my mental state now. i'm a really happy person and have close to no stress in my life. what about the food? he thinks i might have acid reflux. while i do have some symptoms of acid reflux (chest burning, nausea), why am i having panic attacks? is that just my body's reaction to having acid reflux? is it the food? do i need to change my diet completely? if so what do i need to eat and what should i avoid?

first my doctor gave me a stronger dosage of citalopram; 20mg to 40mg. didn't help even a bit. then he sent me to get bloodwork done, an upper GI, x-rays of my tummy, and all of that came back normal. i'm going to see a cardiologist on the 2nd just to make sure my heart stuff is ok, but my doctor thinks it's fine.

my boyfriend is a health nut and knows a lot more about medical stuff than i do, and thinks it could be anything from my diet to candida. he thinks i shouldn't go back on a medicine like citalopram though, because anything that messes with your brain chemistry is bad for you. what do you think?

it's been almost 3 months of almost constant panic attack/panic attack feelings. has anybody had/heard of something like this?? thank you for any advice you might have!!!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement