Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

recently developed intractable anemia

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 18, 2006
  • 03:54 PM

Hi,
Wondering what to do next...dx with iron-deficiency anemia first presented May 2005; hem level 9.6. I had a hysterectomy in April of 2000. GI bleeding has been ruled out through upper endoscopy, colonoscopy and anoscopy; all normal. I do have chronic GERD for which I take Prilosec OTC 20mg daily but no upper GI bleeding on endoscopy. Neg test for celiac/sprue. Liver/kidney function normal. I have tried various oral iron supplementation with minimal or no effect; I eat red meat. Hemoglobin was at 8.0 when I became dehydrated due to flu and became very dizzy and disoriented so I received 3 units whole blood at that time (Mar 2006). Hem. back up to 11.5; back down to 7.6 in June 2006. Rec'd 200mg iron sucrose IV July/Aug of 2006 (5 doses, one per week). Hem. back up to 11.2. serum iron up from 2 to 80.

Now it is going down again; have seen hematologist but I feel like I would like to resolve what is causing the anemia instead of just continuing to receive transfusions or IV. Do I just live with this or should i push for more diagnostic testing? What else can they test for? THanks,
Sue

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement