Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

Social Withdrawal. Why?

Posted In: Mental conditions 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Kuruna
  • March 27, 2008
  • 10:29 PM

I don't know if this is some kind of mental disorder or just who I am, but I avoid social activities, I don't like being around people, I prefer to stay at home most of the time, and I generally don't like other people. I'm also pretty shy. It's not that I feel anxious in social situations; I just don't like being there. I'm not really worried about what other people think. Or if I am, I don't realize it myself. I also sleep a lot. I go to bed at 9 and get up at 6 which should be plenty of sleep for most people, but when I come home from school I usually take a nap. I feel sleepy at lot during school. I get randomly depressed sometimes. I'm on Fluozetine (prozac) 20mg, but I don't know if it helps. Recently I've been feeling a lot better because I was somehow able to change my outlook on life, but I still don't like social activities and it's very hard for me to make friends and become close to people. My life is pretty good right now, but I was just wondering if this means there could be something wrong? What do you think?

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• It doesn't actually sound as if there is anything wrong with you, just perhaps introverted - I am myself and more often than not enjoy my own company rather than with others. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you! The trouble is, is that in the western world extraversion is considered normal, and is pushed to the fore, and anything seen as being the opposite (ie introversion) of this is bad, and not a trait people want to encourage - therefore it can lead to introverts sometimes feeling isolated, and the feeling that there is something wrong with you. Trust me, there isn't. You're just another person. Like the rest of us. I get depressed too, many people whether they are gregarious or not feel depressed at times. One point is to challenge any depressive thinking, and when you feel you are slipping down that helter-skelter of negative thought, think of something good... and try to alter that thinking. Not always easy but it helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • there's absolutely nothing wrong with you...it's all the other people who need all of that other stuff in their lives...you know you are complete the way you are. You would make a good artist or scientist...just work on making a name for yourself in your chosen career and your life will take care of itself along the way..
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks to both of you for your comments. I really appreciate it. :) I just thought that since I do probably have depression, maybe there was something else instead that was causing more symptoms than just depression. But maybe not. ^^ Things have been a lot better ever since I changed my way of thinking. I used to be a huge pessimist, but I finally decided to just be happy, and somehow it worked. :D
    Kuruna 8 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement