Discussions By Condition: Aging

Severe knee pain & leg swelling

Posted In: Aging 4 Replies
  • Posted By: rsiyer
  • October 17, 2006
  • 09:08 AM

I am a 76-year-old grandmother. I realise that aging brings several problems with it. But I am looking for advice on how to deal with my severe pain of the knees and swelling of my ankles and feet. I can barely walk because of that. I have consulted several doctors over the past few years and have undergone various tests. None of the usual diagnoses seem to apply to my case. The doctors just prescribe vitamins & minerals, which I take every day. But it doesn't seem to help much. My eyesight and hearing and mental reflexes are pretty good - in fact better than many much younger people. My family takes good care of me and I use a walker even inside the house. But its my inability to move freely and lack of energy that I find distressing. And the pain. Any suggestions, please?

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• Not sure about your ankle and foot swelling but elevate them whenever you are sitting so that the fluid drains back to your torso more easily. Reduce salt in your diet. As far as the pain is concerned, maybe you need knee replacements. (the cartilage may be worn out) If its just arthritis, heat may relieve the pain, as well as ANSAIDS (ibuprofen etc). Water exercise is also good for arthritic pain. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2006
    • 03:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Go see an orothpedic doctor if it is arthritis there are treatments out there. I have been going thru this for the last 3 years I received synvisc and corosoine shots and when that dose not work the scope out my knees not aon a regurlar basises Right now my left knee is done for but at 47 I am told I am to young. there are leg exercise you can do that you can find on the internet the best you can do is keep them legs moving I find I hurt on monday when I go back to work but by friday I feel great.also for the swelling of the legs do you have vericouse veins this well cause pain and a lot of swelling of the legs. Talk to your family doctor and get your referals a going you are to young to be addicted to that walker it is time to get moving and drive your kids crazy.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 20, 2009
    • 03:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My mother has exactly the same issue - severe and long-standing pain in the right knee in particular and she has developed swelling of both lower legs and feet. She had an intrarticular steroid injection that helped for about 10 days if at all and now is much worse. No clear diagnosis although Rheumatoid arthritis has been ruled out and she does have osteoarthritis. Thoughts?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • My father has knee problems. The best thing for him was a heating pad and keeping it elevated. Just propping it up on a big pillow or something like that can help ease the pain. He needs a knee replacement but he only has short term medical insurance at the moment. Once they get full long-term insurance from my mom's job, then he'll be able to get the knee replacement.
    JakeJohnson25 6 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement