Discussions By Condition: Uterus conditions

ovaries cysts

Posted In: Uterus conditions 7 Replies
  • Posted By: chavibaby
  • March 7, 2008
  • 04:32 PM

Hello,
I am a 43 year young female that was told by my dr. that I had two fibs, and one bloody cyst on my left ovaries. I was told that I could take bcp for the next month to see if it helps or due to the problems ive been having for the past 6 months; periods getting closer and closer and staying longer, 5 days old bleeding 'old blood' before regular blood starts, and having the extreme pain with great pressure, periods lasts now for about 12 days, which includes the time the old blood starts to the end of the red.

during my internal exam, my doc could not get my uterus to even more, not sure what this means but it certainly meant something to him yet, he gave me the option of having the surgery to have my female parts removed right now, or wait another month since it has already been one months since my last ct that revailed the cyst.

i'm am so scared, do I wait to see if it leaves, or should I go ahead and have the surgery now? my doc scared me, yet gave me the option of waiting....any ideals?:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• Hello,I am a 43 year young female that was told by my dr. that I had two fibs, and one bloody cyst on my left ovaries. I was told that I could take bcp for the next month to see if it helps or due to the problems ive been having for the past 6 months; periods getting closer and closer and staying longer, 5 days old bleeding 'old blood' before regular blood starts, and having the extreme pain with great pressure, periods lasts now for about 12 days, which includes the time the old blood starts to the end of the red. during my internal exam, my doc could not get my uterus to even more, not sure what this means but it certainly meant something to him yet, he gave me the option of having the surgery to have my female parts removed right now, or wait another month since it has already been one months since my last ct that revailed the cyst. i'm am so scared, do I wait to see if it leaves, or should I go ahead and have the surgery now? my doc scared me, yet gave me the option of waiting....any ideals?:confused: I had a 7cm cyst on my left ovary, and since I am an acupuncturist and herbalist, worked with my doctor to see if I could shrink the cyst. I spent six months and even though the herbs and acupuncture helped with my pain and other symptoms, the cyst did not change in size, and so I opted for the surgery... I would never take birth control as I don't do well with that, so it wasn't an option for me. Sometimes it helps, but would take longer than 1 month to shrink a cyst IMO. I had laparo surgery ( a complete joke - they shoved me out of the hospital 1 hour after surgery and I was in SOOO much pain! - laparo surgery should be outlawed IMO:(). They removed the cyst and the fallopian tube, but kept everything else in tact. This was over a year ago, and I still have occasional pain exactly where I used to! Just wanted to share my story. It is okay to wait for surgery, but please note that IF YOU EXPERIENCE SEVERE SUDDEN PAIN OR BLEEDING WITH NAUSEA AND FATIGUE YOU NEED TO GET TO THE ER ASAP. This is an indication that the cyst has burst, and you will need surgery asap. How large is your cyst? Was it diagnosed as a simple cyst? How large are your fibroids? Depending on size, I would suggest trying a castor oil pack if they are small - you can google this for more info...this can help shrink a cyst and help with pain. Your severe bleeding is certainly troublesome. Do you or did you have an IUD by chance? Has infection been ruled out? I do suggest trying acupuncture to help regulate your cycle - this is very helpful. The herbs I took really helped make me feel better even though they didn't shrink the cyst. Consider trying this. Bottom line is it is okay to wait and if your cysts are smaller than 5 or 6 cm then they may very likely shrink over a few months time. I STRONGLY recommend just getting the cysts and fibroids removed and leave your ovaries and uterus intact. A full hysterectomy can bring about so many more problems IMO I'd avoid this if you possibly can. If your doc is insisting on this, then get another opinion. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • If your doctor isn't a gynecologist, I would suggest going to one. Internists are notorious for wrong diagnosis of the female type.Why is he talking about removing everything when he might be able to just remove the cyst? It sounds extreme. Also, do you know what size and whether it is 'simple' or 'complex'? Also, I'm wondering why you didn't opt to try the birth control to manage the bleeding? I know, lots of questions. I'm just trying to get informed myself since I have a cyst and I'm working on treatment.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • about 7 months ago I started feeling a sharp pain on my right side and my doctor confirmed that I had a 2.7" ovarian cyst. I was on birth control pills for several weeks only to find out that my cyst grew to 3.4". My doctor then suggested surgery. It was a nightmare. The thought of having my ovary removed and never be able to have children was unbearable. When I got home, I surfed the net searching for answers out of desperation, as I accidentally stumbled upon "ovarian cysts no more site" (was it faith?). While I was skeptic at first, I took the chance and ordered the wonderful book and read it throughout the weekend. I immediately started step 1 and threw away those awful birth control pills. Six days later, the pain on my right side was GONE and I felt exceptionally good. 7 weeks later and after completing step 3 of your program, my doctor performed another ultrasound and to my utter surprise my ovarian cyst has vanished...completely! Today, whenever I hear women talk about ovarian cysts I want to run up and tell them about this system.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 27, 2008
    • 05:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hello...I, too have an ovarian cyst (both ovaries); will do ultrasound next week to see if I also have fibroids since the CT scan revealed a "heterogenious uterus with fluid and possible gas bubbles". I have been in pain for three months now, initially diagnosed as a UTI. Been on 5 or 6 antibiotics and now on Augmentin, but the frequent urination urge andsharp, but dull intermittent pain still exists. The ultrasound did revealfluid filled ovarian cysts, but my gyno. wants to do the "wait and see" approach..I am not so thrilled by this as I am sick of the pain and urgency. I am looking at what the surgical options are, if anyone hasgotten a cyst or cysts removed, if so, by what means, was it effective,how long was the recovery, and did any cysts recur..can they get ridof the fibroids at the same time?:confused:
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2008
    • 08:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm seventeen and I've been on birthcontrol for about half a year or so, I keep getting extremely sharp stinging pains right above my left hip. It started happening right I before started taking the pill, but it the pain wasn't as severe and it didn't happen as often as its been since I've been on the pill. Now it comes more often, mostly when I'm close to my cycle, but it does happen a few times throught the month. And now sometimes the pain gets so bad I have to stop what I'm doing and sit down, but the pain only lasts a minute or so and starts to subside, but other than that its usually its pretty mild. I figured my gynocologist would've gotten it the first time around, and I still have yet to go back to get it checked out, but I wanted to know before I do go, and supposing it is an ovarian cist, if they're are other ways besides surgery to get rid of it? Or if I'll have to stop taking birthcontrol? Which really isn't an option. Or if I have to get it removed, how long would the recovery be, or how painful recovery would be? (I've never had any kind of surgery so I'm a little scared)
    Klanna 1 Replies
    • August 30, 2009
    • 02:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Before doing anything get a second opinion. When it comes to any surgery I always do. Many doctors as scary as it seems really don't have a clue.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 14, 2009
    • 02:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, I'm 32 years old and have be dealing with cysts since I was 14. I had that same problem 3 years ago and still today. First it started off as pain, so I would go to my Family Dr. and was given sonograms and everything would check out fine. Well about a year later the pain turned in to a heavy feeling in my left hip area and I have felt it everyday now. Well I went to a NEW Dr. and I had a transvaginal ultrasound and they found a 1 inch cyst on my left ovary that is filled with blood. I have to go back in 6 weeks to repeat the ultra sound. I cant do birth control so I will be getting it removed if possible. I will keep you posted on the out come. If you have a cyst I heard birth control is good for it, and you are still young so they might even shrink. Try not to worry to much just keep up with your Drs. appointments and tell the Dr. every symptom. Remember your Dr. works for you dont be afraid to be demanding, ask questions and have them explain everything in detail...... Good luck you will be fine!!!!! klanna;194883]I'm seventeen and I've been on birthcontrol for about half a year or so, I keep getting extremely sharp stinging pains right above my left hip. It started happening right I before started taking the pill, but it the pain wasn't as severe and it didn't happen as often as its been since I've been on the pill. Now it comes more often, mostly when I'm close to my cycle, but it does happen a few times throught the month. And now sometimes the pain gets so bad I have to stop what I'm doing and sit down, but the pain only lasts a minute or so and starts to subside, but other than that its usually its pretty mild. I figured my gynocologist would've gotten it the first time around, and I still have yet to go back to get it checked out, but I wanted to know before I do go, and supposing it is an ovarian cist, if they're are other ways besides surgery to get rid of it? Or if I'll have to stop taking birthcontrol? Which really isn't an option. Or if I have to get it removed, how long would the recovery be, or how painful recovery would be? (I've never had any kind of surgery so I'm a little scared)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement