Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

Misdiagnosed as having Agoraphobia and Obsessive-Compulsive disorder.

Posted In: Medical Errors 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Dave Watkins
  • October 15, 2006
  • 11:01 PM

Just a short post on my misdiagnosis. It may help someone else.
Back in 1984 I was diagnosed with "Agoraphobia" or fear of crowds or crowded situations. I accepted this as fact to a degree and tried to go on with my life because it was to a degree somewhat manageable. Years later after a whole host of other symptoms that progressively got worse, I was further diagnosed by a different doctor with "Obsessive-Compulsive disorder", and indeed the symptoms were there. Finally in 1998 I collapsed at work due to unknown reasons at the time but had severe chest pains and some elevated cardiac enzymes. The hospital doctors could not find the problem and after one night I was released. I went back to work the following week on advice from my doctor who obviously could not see that I was so weak and shaky that I could hardy stand or walk. The doctor at work took one look at me and refused to let me come back to work. I was out for a year after finally finding a good doctor 200 miles away that knew immediately what was wrong and got me back together after about a year. To make a long story short, the Agoraphobia was caused by an extreme sensitivity to chemicals, namely the perfumes, deodorants, fabric softeners and other scented products that people wear. The presence of these things even un- noticed by me as the source, caused me to panic and leave the area. The more crowded it was, the stronger the concentration of these "Volitile organic compounds" or scented chemical products. The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder was caused by food allergies which are now under control and the obsessive compulsive is gone.
There were a few more problems the doctor addressed but these are the ones pertaining to the misdiagnoses.
---------- Dave W.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement