Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Muteness in 3 brothers of various ages...

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 13, 2008
  • 00:29 PM

I'm posting here out of sheer curiosity so first I must appologise to everybody around here who is suffering from something themselves!

I am from a little place called Romania where access to healthcare is rather scarce and poor. In the bloc where I live there is a family of 5: parents in their late 30s, a 15 or so years old boy, another that's about 8 and a younger sister of about 5. They are all MUTE. As far as I can tell they aren't mentally retarded (at least the older one, that I sometimes run into, is not) and seem healthy in rest. The younger ones do seem very agitated sometimes. I am suspecting they are not 100% deff because sometimes when I walk past their flat I can here the TV turned on very loudly on some cartoon program. Parents seem ok and healthy although they are a bit on the grim side and not very friendly. I kind of understand them but this is the reason why I never had the courage to inquire them about their situation, even as a doctor in my country. A very young one. I also lack knwoledge of weather this is congenital or acquired. Still there remains a strong common denominator on which I am basing my search: 3 brothers all mute!

I am not looking for a definite solution but more for a differential diagnosis debate. What could it be? Can it be cured/treated? I rulled out Congenital Rubella Syndrome since the condition is present on all 3 children and they have at least 3 years in age difference. It's not Down nor they have a genetic syndrome that associates albinism. What type of a genetic syndrome would have 100% detemination among the children since both parents are, at best, heterozigots ? Could it be toxic... somehow? Could they all have the very same neurological lesions? Some other infectious disease of the mother ? What do you think would be most likely? What other information could I get and would be useful... from afar?

Thank you!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement