Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 12, 2008
  • 10:13 PM

I'm a teen between the ages of 13 and 15 and I think I might have obsessive compulsive disorder. For almost my whole life, I have been afraid of getting attention. I hate the feeling that everyone is looking at me and judging me. Lately, I have noticed that for everything I do, I map out my actions precisely so I get the least amount of attention possible. I have a constant fear of standing out in anything I do by doing something different then the other people. I have noticed this has been getting ridiculous and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• I'm a teen between the ages of 13 and 15 and I think I might have obsessive compulsive disorder. For almost my whole life, I have been afraid of getting attention. I hate the feeling that everyone is looking at me and judging me. Lately, I have noticed that for everything I do, I map out my actions precisely so I get the least amount of attention possible. I have a constant fear of standing out in anything I do by doing something different then the other people. I have noticed this has been getting ridiculous and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.Social phobia?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2008
    • 02:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds more like avoidant personality disorder to me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2008
    • 04:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It doesn't sound like OCD to me, but I'm not a psychiatrist...It kind of sounds more like you are just really self conscious or shy. Your description sounds a lot like I was at the same age as you. I think I was that way because there was a lot of fighting in my family, and it was very stressful for me and I became self-conscious about it, and became rather quiet and withdrawn from it. Also, it's kind of hard being your age, just in general. A lot of people in your age range are self conscious, but are good at hiding it...Not sure if this helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2008
    • 05:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • When you say that you do not like to stand-out-in the crowd or for any attention to be on you at your age, at first I do not think OCD but rather self consciousness as elke has mentioned or some type of teenage identity crisis. These are normal things that a teen goes through: you know the “what will others say or think, etc.” Have you ever thought about what gives others the right to judge you at all and whether there is any truth (about you). Make the decision to be strong and learn how to cope and trust who you are in order to stop the crisis. Don’t let others make or break you. This is your pre-adult life in which mom or dad can not help you with directly as they would when you were small. It is time to grow up and make realizations: 1) what others say or think about you is trivial 2) trust yourself 3) make decisions responsibly. Those things require you to learn who you are (you have time as you are still a teenager). Now to focus on the attention dilemma, you must understand that everyone gets attention – some more than others (I know). I do not like attention either but I make a decision to not to let this bother me. I mean really you do not want to know why some people give you attention for no good reason. To quickly share an experience with you, a woman walked past me in the mall and stared at me (in a not so nice way) and I thought “anyways”. You’re right these moments are distracting and could ruin your day if you let it but, I did not. I continued to the candy store. Once I bagged up my candy, there she goes again looking at me and took it upon herself to comment that she admired my skin still starring at me and she did not seem to mean it in a positive way. Who cares about this right? …The idea is to make the decision to not to continue to feel the way you do about getting attention because most times its nonsense, stuff you can live without. I smiled at the woman and walked away: I could have said thank you but I tend to steer away from stuff like this. I am a nice person but still I have to make a decision to do what’s best for me. These anxieties which are only present because as humans at around your age we are put in a position to figure out who we are and how to cope and make decisions in our pre-adult life, the decisions mom and dad used to be around and make. Inevitably you must become independent and able to cope with life without mom and dad. Do you remember not to long ago when none of this was as important? …and you have noticed your anxieties increasingly getting worse. Now you must make something of yourself to prepare for adulthood. Are you ready to grow up responsibly? I think you have already begun to by noticing this - Taking the fact that you realize that sometimes you are in situations that you do not like. Well as an adult, we must surpass this but you have time to put some of my advice into action to learn how to cope better. Other advice may help too. Know that some advice might be bad but again this is apart of growing up. Talk it over with you confidant, then again they may not give you the honest attention you need to help you. …or keep coming here and we’ll try to help. I sense that most provide our honest opinions here. We have choices and you do too.What’s yours; how do you think that you could cope better?
    Undeleted1 28 Replies
    • February 15, 2008
    • 01:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I agree with undeleted1, as it is a being self consience thing. I would say its more of a phobia (a fear of something) than OCD. OCD is more of a repetive action thing. I went through that fear you have, I think a lot of teens do, though many will hide it like I did, but I didnt realize what that feeling was until years later. I overcame it by working at it, and I think you can to:) I just finished reading more of what undeleted1 said, and they hit it on the nail, at least for me. I had to assure myself that pple wernt laughing at me, and i cared more about what they thought then they really did. This is how i overcame it, though took me into my 20s to learn how to deal with it. Now I am very social and confident.
    prone2injury 28 Replies
    • February 15, 2008
    • 04:46 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement