Discussions By Condition: Female sexual conditions

pain during intercourse

Posted In: Female sexual conditions 22 Replies
  • Posted By: doochick
  • February 6, 2008
  • 05:38 PM

My husband and i have been together for over 7 years. At the beginning of our relationship we had no problems having sex, after about a year and 1/2 I started to have pain during sex. I visited a few doctors where we were living at the time. The first was sure that i had a yeast infection (did not to find out), we moved shortly thereafter still having pain during sex. I went to see another doctor where we were now living and ended up having to have a leap procedure done for some pre-cancer cells that had started to develop. Things have become progressivly worse almost totally preventing my husband and i from having sex. I do not feel that it is vaginal dryness. It is that during any penetration the pain is almost unbearable. I continue to try, yet the probelm is very hard for my husband, he does not like to see my lying there in pain. The last few times i have forced myself to have intercourse i have had a laging pain afterword. I just really want to be normal, and i don't think that being able to have sex with the love of my life is too much to ask.. any suggestions about the pain?

Reply Flag this Discussion

22 Replies:

• hi i have had this problem for about 10months and like you had previously had about a year of pain free sex with my boyfriend. unfortunately i don't know what it is but am currently seeing a doctor. I also have a lot of pelvic pain which started at the same time. Like you i don't feel like its vaginal dryness - its not that sort of pain. I don't know if your the same but its worse with deep penetration and it feels asthough its when pressure is put on my cervix? my doctor has suggested vasagimus (sorry i can't spell it) but im not too sure, i have also just been for a ultrasound and am waiting for the results. Sorry if that's not any help. Hope you find the answer. xx
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2008
    • 04:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • What kind of pain is it?? Burning, Throbbing, Deep ache.Is it everytime you have sex or just some times? You may have a low cervix and the penis may be hitting it and causing bruising, has a Dr examined your cervix.Have you ever heard of the lubracint that men use to prevent pre-ejaculation you should use some of that cause that should desensitize your cervix a little bit if that is indeed the problem
    rachel125 112 Replies
    • February 8, 2008
    • 11:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • its like a deep cramping pain but then there's a sharp pain that shoots up into my hips. for a few hours after i get cramps and ache alot. it always hurts with deep penetration but sometimes when its not. im going for an internal on tuesday to follow up the scan so maybe i'll know after that. no i hadn't but i'll look into it if nothing comes up on tues.Thankyou
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2008
    • 00:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I know what you mean, It is deep in the vagina, I could swear that my husband has full penetration, as I am holding my breath and tearing up, but he is hardly even entering the vagina. I am at my wits end with this. It does not go away girls, trust me I have been waiting. If anyone finds out what this is please send it on! Needless to say my husband is getting tired of the whole senerio, and we all know that dosent help things!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Its most likely stenosis of the cervix, one cause of this is treatment for pre cancerous cells, it causes scarring on the cervix, this can cause the cervix to go into spasm which cause's the pain during sex, also very painful to have smears done, a simple procedure in day care, can fix it, no dramas ! this is what the docs told me, I had the procedure done & it ended the problem ! Hope this helps ! :)
    Tootsie 628 Replies Flag this Response
  • what can other causes of stenosis be? because i have this same problem but have never had any sort of treatment or anything and have only just had my first smear a couple of weeks ago?what exactly is it? i looked it up on the web but didn't get a clear answer. thankyou
  • what can other causes of stenosis be? because i have this same problem but have never had any sort of treatment or anything and have only just had my first smear a couple of weeks ago? what exactly is it? i looked it up on the web but didn't get a clear answer. thankyou Hi carla, I see what u mean about lack of information on the web....I took a look also but haven't found anything apart from it possibly being congenital or complication of surgery......I thought it woud be simpler than that. It happen me after i had quite invasive treatment which badly scared my cervix.......then my cervix went into complete spasam & very painful for sex or examination/smear. I would have thought there would be more causes than this. One thing i thought could cause it would be vigerous sex & ur partner being too big & maybe hitting ur cervix causing bruising or maybe a cyst or something like that I still think that this is a possible cause. U should go to Gyne & get this checked out.......the procedure i had to correct it was simple & effective it was done under general anaesthetic, just simply stretched things for me, well thats the way they explained it to me......anyway its been fine ever since ! Its funny but before it happened me id never heard of it.....no one seems to know alot about it. The other strange thing, it was ages before it was picked up in me, my usually gyne was totally unsympathic to my pain, he didnt believe that i hurt so much, he thought i was just playing up....lol Luckly for me at another checkup i got a different doctor & she knew straight away what the problem was. Hope this helps u. Regards :)Oooh i forgot to explain it.....stenosis of the cervix is basically the cervix going into permanent cramp.....like a clenched fist ! It just needs released !If its congenital, I dont know anything about that, so unable to explain !
  • thanks tootsie that's a great help. I will let my gynae know when i next go. glad to hear you got it curedthanks
  • thanks tootsie that's a great help. I will let my gynae know when i next go. glad to hear you got it cured thanks Your very welcome, I hope u get sorted out......dont take any nonsense from those docs.........lol Good luck :)
  • Hi My sister has been given the run around by a few doctors from what I know she has a low cervix and a low uterus and it is very painful for her to have sex. Tootsie you mentioned that the second doctor you saw knew right away can I get that doctor's info? Any help is appreciated.
    blue74 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi My sister has been given the run around by a few doctors from what I know she has a low cervix and a low uterus and it is very painful for her to have sex. Tootsie you mentioned that the second doctor you saw knew right away can I get that doctor's info? Any help is appreciated. I wish i could help u......that was way back in 1990 & the female doc was one of doctors on my Consultants team, as far as i know he has retired now & i cant remember her name as that was the only time i met her........also it was in Northern Ireland. I know how frustrating & unsympathetic they can be.......I was just lucky getting her that day, im sure if it had been left to other docs nothing would have been done. Where are u ? If it was any use i could give u name of hosptial......mind u i dont know if that alone will help ! There is an operation that could maybe help ur sister with her low uterus, its called a Ventro Suspension (not sure if thats spelt right) I had this done when i was 29 (it was that or a hysterectompy) im 47 now.It was a very painful op & took me a long time to recover from it (at the time i really would have prefered the hysterectompy) it was that & aggressive treatment to my cervix that caused the stenosis of my cervix..........but then again I had been very ill leading up to the operation so maybe under normal circumstances it would not have been so bad. Not really sure if any of this helps u. Good luck to u and ur sister hope she gets help & better soon ! :)
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hello it is a relief and also sad to hear of so many women experiencing the same pain during intercourse as me. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light or opinion on my story. Ill try to make it short but there is a bit involved. I had my first yeast infection in January around my period. I'm sure this infection was a yeast because I was really really itchy. Undiagnosed by a doctor due to not having health insurance (because I couldn't afford it) I used over the counter stuff. It went away. A day or two later I had sex (completely consensual) but it was really painful, but did'nt make the mental connection between the infection (I now know that having sex with a yeast is very painful) or medication. Intercourse was really painful and after finishing my usual vaginal swelling did not go down and it was actually worse. It seemed like the entire entrance of my vagina was blown up and very painful to touch. I would feel "ripped up" like rug burn in the tissue at the entrance of my vagina. Also the inside of my vagina was extremely swollen and sensitive to touch and semen, semen would actually sting. The swelling did not go away after hours and the pain would make me cry and sweat. I eventually called the rape center to see what they do for the girls. So after taking ibroprofen and doing some hot compresses the swelling went down. Continued to have sex cautiously and use compresses for the swelling and I think the intensity or pain went away after about a week. In February got another infection. Did the same otc yeast treatment. Had the painful sex and made the connection between the painful sex and the infection/medication. Still had the painful swelling and painful sex. kept trying to have sex even though it was painful. March was a repeat. Finally in April after getting insured I went to the Dr who told me I had BV. Got treated for BV. BV went away. Painful sex did not. Didn't have much sex after that because I started getting turned off by it due to the pain. Still whenever I would have sex it was less painful than previously and less swelling but still not enjoyable.May I was in Europe. Did not have sex for the first two weeks of May. Then when I did have sex it was painful and I bled for the next two days. I think it was think that I started experiencing numbness in my vagina. So I would have sex and it would be painful and at the same time I was'nt as sensitive as I used to be. Did not have sex for a week but when I did black stuff (could be leftover blood or a scab) came out. Came back from Europe and have been to gyno, tested me to see if i still have an infection Questions:Could my vagina be numb because of scar tissue due to me forcing myself to have sex even though it was painful?Can that kind of damage be reversed? Does anyone know what is going on with me because my doctors are disappointing with their answers?By the way it is definitely not a lubrication problem. I have enough naturally and even when I use lube I have the same exact pain. I have been screened for all std's twice and am clean all the way through. The next step is I am asking for a PID test if they didnt already do one.Also I am starting probiotics orally and vaginally and am also going on the pill. Im sure these things will help but I am very concerned about the numbness and possibility or scar tissue. Is there a test they can do to see if I have scar tissue? In particular the tissue at the opening of my vagina?I will appreciate any opinions or insight or anything really. I apologize about the novel and I hope the best for all the other women who are suffering.BY the way I am curious what are your opinions on socialized health care because after this experience I feel so much remorse for those who cant seek medical help because they cant afford it and I want to make a change. All opinion welcome.
  • I use Estring 2mg from my doctor inserted to give moisture back to vaginal area and I read on another forum of a lady taking organic applecider vinegar for general heath purposes and she discovered it cleared up her longtime and cronic BV and has been free of this for some time now. I put 3 tablespoons in cup of water and drank this morning and at noon with 2 tablespoons in water. Also Reuteri Probiotics, folic acid 800 mcg and B-complex 100mg (you want the B6 100 mg in this). So far the burning is already gone just in these few hours and I've been dealing with this on and off for several years now. Only antibiotics took care of it in past. I will let you know if it clears up and stays away as with this other lady. It almost makes sense as we need the acidity and probiotics in the vagina and this stuff goes directly to the intestinal tract and vaginal area.
  • response to lilikoi I had that problem only during pregnancy. I came upon this column after trying to find answers about lupus. What ever you do if it hurts don't have sex. I did during my pregnancies and my marriage suffered for it. DO NOT LISTEN TO DOCTORS WHO SAY NOTHING IS WRONG OR IT IS PSYCHOSOMATIC! Have yourself checked for autoimmune disorder ASAP. Having painful sex will cause you mental pain in the long run. I had the same symptoms . My vagina was visibly swollen and bright red after 5 mins of sex. After intercourse it would hurt to urinate and I would have pain sitting for hours after. I can never forget the pain. I also had no STD. Not even a yeast infection. Don't let them keep giving you lotions that don't work. Stop torturing yourself. Take care I completely empathize about your condition. I was there.
    pocodulce 1 Replies
    • August 31, 2008
    • 10:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a new user to this site and I am grateful and appreciative for the messages. I empathize with so many of you, yet thankful that I am not the only one experiencing some of the same issues. I have gone to 2 gyn-ies and neither of them know what the issue is. I have excruciating pain even before my husband can enter me. In fact, he can't enter me because it hurts so bad. It's a combination of stinging and pain. It's like a day after you scrape your knee or hand on pavement. It's a dull sting and pain to the touch. There is no itching or burning during urination. I don't have an ordor problem or abnormal discharge. I haven't had a yeast infection in years (knock on wood). There is minimal pain with the use of tampons, but not that bad. I don't have discomfort with the pants or panties that I wear. Both doctors said that I look healthy, a little redness, but nothing to be alarmed about. I have used a couple of cremes they prescribed and even a low dosage of anti-depressant pills. Of course I'm depressed! I haven't had intercouse in 6 months. I went from daily (truly no exaggeration) to nothing. The last doctor has recommended that I go to physical therapy to relearn how to relax my vaginal and pelvic muscles. I don't think that this is the issue, but am willing to try anything. I will keep everyone posted. Apologize for the long-winded message. Regards,sadbetty
    sadbetty 2 Replies
    • December 13, 2008
    • 05:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a new user to this site and I am grateful and appreciative for the messages. I empathize with so many of you, yet thankful that I am not the only one experiencing some of the same issues. I have gone to 2 gyn-ies and neither of them know what the issue is. I have excruciating pain even before my husband can enter me. In fact, he can't enter me because it hurts so bad. It's a combination of stinging and pain. It's like a day after you scrape your knee or hand on pavement. It's a dull sting and pain to the touch. There is no itching or burning during urination. I don't have an ordor problem or abnormal discharge. I haven't had a yeast infection in years (knock on wood). There is minimal pain with the use of tampons, but not that bad. I don't have discomfort with the pants or panties that I wear. Both doctors said that I look healthy, a little redness, but nothing to be alarmed about. I have used a couple of cremes they prescribed and even a low dosage of anti-depressant pills. Of course I'm depressed! I haven't had intercouse in 6 months. I went from daily (truly no exaggeration) to nothing. The last doctor has recommended that I go to physical therapy to relearn how to relax my vaginal and pelvic muscles. I don't think that this is the issue, but am willing to try anything. I will keep everyone posted. Apologize for the long-winded message. Regards,sadbetty
    sadbetty 2 Replies
    • December 13, 2008
    • 05:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello it is a relief and also sad to hear of so many women experiencing the same pain during intercourse as me. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light or opinion on my story. Ill try to make it short but there is a bit involved. I had my first yeast infection in January around my period. I'm sure this infection was a yeast because I was really really itchy. Undiagnosed by a doctor due to not having health insurance (because I couldn't afford it) I used over the counter stuff. It went away. A day or two later I had sex (completely consensual) but it was really painful, but did'nt make the mental connection between the infection (I now know that having sex with a yeast is very painful) or medication. Intercourse was really painful and after finishing my usual vaginal swelling did not go down and it was actually worse. It seemed like the entire entrance of my vagina was blown up and very painful to touch. I would feel "ripped up" like rug burn in the tissue at the entrance of my vagina. Also the inside of my vagina was extremely swollen and sensitive to touch and semen, semen would actually sting. The swelling did not go away after hours and the pain would make me cry and sweat. I eventually called the rape center to see what they do for the girls. So after taking ibroprofen and doing some hot compresses the swelling went down. Continued to have sex cautiously and use compresses for the swelling and I think the intensity or pain went away after about a week. In February got another infection. Did the same otc yeast treatment. Had the painful sex and made the connection between the painful sex and the infection/medication. Still had the painful swelling and painful sex. kept trying to have sex even though it was painful. March was a repeat. Finally in April after getting insured I went to the Dr who told me I had BV. Got treated for BV. BV went away. Painful sex did not. Didn't have much sex after that because I started getting turned off by it due to the pain. Still whenever I would have sex it was less painful than previously and less swelling but still not enjoyable. May I was in Europe. Did not have sex for the first two weeks of May. Then when I did have sex it was painful and I bled for the next two days. I think it was think that I started experiencing numbness in my vagina. So I would have sex and it would be painful and at the same time I was'nt as sensitive as I used to be. Did not have sex for a week but when I did black stuff (could be leftover blood or a scab) came out. Came back from Europe and have been to gyno, tested me to see if i still have an infection Questions: Could my vagina be numb because of scar tissue due to me forcing myself to have sex even though it was painful? Can that kind of damage be reversed? Does anyone know what is going on with me because my doctors are disappointing with their answers? By the way it is definitely not a lubrication problem. I have enough naturally and even when I use lube I have the same exact pain. I have been screened for all std's twice and am clean all the way through. The next step is I am asking for a PID test if they didnt already do one. Also I am starting probiotics orally and vaginally and am also going on the pill. Im sure these things will help but I am very concerned about the numbness and possibility or scar tissue. Is there a test they can do to see if I have scar tissue? In particular the tissue at the opening of my vagina? I will appreciate any opinions or insight or anything really. I apologize about the novel and I hope the best for all the other women who are suffering. BY the way I am curious what are your opinions on socialized health care because after this experience I feel so much remorse for those who cant seek medical help because they cant afford it and I want to make a change. All opinion welcome. Make sure you get a blood test for herpes 2; you might be breaking out internally. It's really painful so follow through with this. You may need an antiviral.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • December 13, 2008
    • 09:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm not sure if this helps some of you ladies but my history is this...At 21 I had excrutiating pain during sex and my mate had to stop abruptly. I felt like a hot knife was slicing up my female organs and I would curl up in a ball for an hour in major pain. I also had pain during the day and noticed it when I walked around, sat down and I couldn't cross my legs without the pain in my cervical area. I went to my Dr.who then sent me to a gynecologist. They found cysts the size of golf balls on my Ovaries! He explained that I was producing too much estrogen which caused the cysts and put me on a high Progesterone birth control pill. He said that if they didn't make the cysts go away...balancing out the two hormone levels then we would have to test for Endomitriosis. They did go away and I stayed on those pills for 19 years! One reason was for fear that they would come back. I went of this pill about 1 year ago because we want to have a baby. I've been staying positive about the cysts not returning because back then the Dr. said it was common for 21 yr old women to over produce estrogen and I am now 37.No such luck as of yet getting pregnant & I have appts set with the fertility center. Recent events have brought me to this website because that same excrutiating pain with sex has begun once again and I am worried. I am off to see the Doctor after I type this and hope it's not the cysts again. It worries me if I will ever have children. Any advice or comments muchly appreciated ladies and my story hopefully can help to guide some in the right direction.
    Sunflowerbc 2 Replies
    • December 29, 2008
    • 07:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey....its really good to meet people who can relate to what I am going through. I am 18years old and have been with my boyfriend for nearly 3 years now and after about 6months of our relationship I started experiencing pain during intercourse. We both checked out for STDs and given the all clear and from then on it has just been a constant stream of "well lets give this ago". I have seena gyneacologist who just kept giving me a cocktail of meds until he found some that stopped the pain but it was only short term relief, I have had a laporoscopy and that turned up nothing, I have been to see medical psychologists (which was really frustrated cause I felt like they were just telling me its all in my head.) anyway, I felt a bit better recently came off all medication but again the pain has returned and its seems to be worse then ever.....the doctors answer put my on medication. but I dont want to be on medication (10 tablets a day at only 18!!!)....not unless its for a specific problem...I just feel like they are giving me medication to mask the problem as it keeps me quiet...does that make sense? I am totally at my wits end...I am only 18 and shouldn't have to be worrying about things like this. My biggest fear is that whilst the doctors keep fobbing me off, the real problem/cause is escalating and get worse. My boyfriend has been fantastic through all this and even when I have come home from appointments with new random things to try and obviously it upsets me when I am in pain and he is always there for me. In that respect I am really lucky, as a lot of guys I know wouldn't have stuck around. All I want now is be able to have a normal sexual relationship. If anyone can offer any advice then I would be sooooo grateful.
    EmilyBon 2 Replies
    • January 7, 2009
    • 01:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Emily. You poor sweetheart! Too young to not be able to enjoy lovemaking. My reasons at 21 were due to the Ovarian Cysts but you said you have been to a Gynecologist so I would assume that they checked you for any. Don't let anyone tell you that it is all in your head....ignore ignore ignore! That is BS.It could be that your Uterus gets knocked out of place during intercourse and that would cause pain for sure! I had that as well in my early twenties. It sortof ran in the family in the females LOL Anyways I was taught to lie on my back, bring my legs up to my chest and hold them with my arms and rock back & forth...ALSO...do as many 'Kegel' (not sure of the spelling) exercises as possible. That may help in the long run. I'm not sure if there is testing to see if that is what it is but today, I am sure there is. Look into it hun cause if you have a shaky Uterus, like I did, and your pain sounds familiar, then look into it. let me know how it goes.Shawna
    Sunflowerbc 2 Replies
    • January 8, 2009
    • 04:37 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement