Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

Ocd

Posted In: Mental conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 11, 2006
  • 04:42 PM

Why does this disorder happen? What is the current research ont he topic? Why therapy has been used in the past?

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• I don't think researchers know exactly what causes OCD, but it's probably a mixture of environmental (social, etc) influences and biology. When I was diagnosed with OCD at the age of 17, I asked my doctor why I had it--nothing bad had ever happened to me. This doctor (very progressive for the time--1972!!!) said it had nothing to do with anything that had "happened" to me--OCD was the result of some kind of biochemical imbalance in my brain.I have to say I agree with him, and I think a lot of other doctors now do too. That's not to say that someone with OCD absolutely HAS to take meds, but it often helps them to get more out of therapy--esp. in the beginning. There are several kinds of therapy that work well for OCD--if you aren't already seeing a doctor I suggest you get in touch with one (preferably one who has experience with OCD) and ask about the various treatments available.Because there ARE very helpful treatments available to help a person overcome OCD!Good luck!! :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2006
    • 07:55 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement