Discussions By Condition: Sleep disorders

sleeping up to 14 hours and still tired.

Posted In: Sleep disorders 62 Replies
  • Posted By: ell_em
  • January 12, 2008
  • 08:38 PM

i am 21 and for as long as i can remember i have been incredibly "lazy" or so iv always been told. i can sleep in till 3pm and still feel tired, and if i drag myself out of bed for work at 8am i cant concentrate and feel lithargic and sleepy all day, i dont go to bed late either, usually around midnight. even if i go to sleep at 10pm i would have trouble getting up at 10am. if no one drags me out of bed i will sleep for around 12 - 14 hours. i know its not laziness, i dont want to be like this, i envy anyone who can get up at 8am and go for a walk, i wish i could do that but i physically cant. its making me very sad because i am literally sleeping my life away when i should be enjoying life. doctors just hand me anti depressants, which i dont want nor need, im not depressed, but it does get me down obviousley, but other than that i am a very happy upbeat person. i so badly want to change, does anyone have any idea what it could be? maybe i can tell the doctors what iv got before they hand me pills!

Reply Flag this Discussion

62 Replies:

• I'm not an expert but I am trying to help while waiting for a response to my own post. There are two things that come to mind right away when I read your post, one is hypo-thyroidism (underactive thyroid) in that case you may be overweight too because it can cause weight gain. The other is a sleep disorder, a lot of people think that they are sleeping well when in reality they are not. I am a wake up for about 3 seconds (just long enough to see what time it is) every couple hours sleeper. My condition has a name but that is just an example of a sleep disorder that interferes with your REM cycle of sleep. If you do not get enough sleep in the REM cycle it doesn't matter how much sleep you get you will be drained. Another common and more dangerous disorder is sleep apnea, ask people if you snore loudly, many people do not get enough oxygen while they are asleep and don't realize it because they are asleep. Of course none of this is QUALITY SLEEP. You may think this sounds crazy but I would look into a sleep aid next time you talk to your doc. Maybe Ambien or just something to help you sleep like colnazapam. You may find yourself getting more quality sleep and therefore needing to sleep less hours. Good luck hope that helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 13, 2008
    • 01:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • thanks so much for that help, i feel like i sleep very well, and my partner, who is a rather light sleeper says that i dont snore or make any unusual acitvities when im asleep so i dont think its apnea, also i looked into the thyroid thing and im not overweight and i have been a stable, healthy weight pretty much all my life, so i dont think its that either. but i do have some quite vivid dreams and i start dreaming pretty much as soon as i fall asleep, sometime i wake myself up in a fright, if iv fell over in a dream or something, this can literally be 5minuted after i went to sleep. i thought u had to be asleep a long time before u started dreaming? i never really thought about my quick dreaming and the sleep amount being connected, i dont really know much about dreams, if anyone does i woulg appreciate any help. althought i think im just gonna do the sensible thing and go see a doctor. thankyou for taking the time to help :)
    ell_em 3 Replies
    • January 13, 2008
    • 10:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same problem for a few years. I am sorry someone else goes through it, however I'm glad I am not alone. It could eventually cost me my marriage. My husband and I fight constantly because he says i'm just lazy. I physically can not move a muscle when I wake up, it's horrible. If you find any information on this, please email me or reply. I would love to know what this could be... I don't it's sleep apnea because I do not snore. Let me know thanks
    htoczek 1 Replies
    • February 29, 2008
    • 07:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am also 21 and going through the same thing now. I've tried several things like, more exercise, less sleep, no caffeine, etc... but all without luck... finally i said something must be wrong with me... so I went to a Ear Nose and Throat doctor and found out I have a very bad deviated septum.. which may be effecting my sleep... I am currently trying to schedule a sleep lab to find out more about my body.My advice to you is to go see a ENT, ear, nose, and throat doctor. You can find one on google and your health insurance usually covers it (sometimes you have to get a referral from your normal doctor). For a small co-pay you can find out for sure if your just lazy or if you have a real problem that can be fixed!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • yeepee! people with the same problem as me! Sorry to be excited but it is nice to know. I was told that i have idiopatic hypersomnia. I got a sleep study done because my family doc thought it was narcalepsy. You should get that checked for that. Also for Klein-levin. Check for the thyroid thing again but you don't have to be overweight for it. The neurologist is suggesting that my TSH and free T4 be checked again. So hope this helps. :)
    HawaiianJ 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • htoczek Gosh we are in the exact same situation! My husband thinks I'm lazy too and I'm just tooooo tired! I physically can't do it! If I exercise I want to sleep for 20 hours! If I work an 8 hour day the next day I'm so tired I cry or get extremely crabby! (Like a 2 year old without a nap) Well i got tested for sleep apnea have that but use my cpap machine religiously! I have used my machine for 3 years even use it when I take naps! I'm still tired and it's been getting progressively worse! I just got tested and they say now I also have narcolepsy! I dont ever fall asleep mid sentence or in my food or in the middle of sex! I just want to sleep all the time! So I don't know if mine is a mis diagnosis as of yet or not but honestly I would urge you to go to a sleep clinic and look for answers! waking up a lot even if you don't toss and turn or snore doesn't mean you aren't waking up in the middle of the night which could be a sign of narcolepsy! At least thats what i've been reading! I don't know enough about it just yet. Go to a sleep clinic get test .... what can it hurt? At least if you don't have a sleep disorder you've narrowed your list of possibilities by one or more!
    Stina78 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Wait! htoczek if you literally can't move a muscle when you get up you are narcoleptic its a symptom I can't remember the name of it I urge you go get a sleep study done one for NARCOLEPSY! It's when you wake up and can't move a musle its a paralis of sorts! Google it! Even if it doesn't sound like you get tested anyway!
    Stina78 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • My life is falling apart because of the same problem you all have. But this problem has caused my daughter (who was in Kindergarden last year) to be between 20 minutes to 2 hours late for school almost twice a week all school year. Now, my youngest will be in kindergarten and the other in first grade.. I don't know how I will do it! No matter how important, my "sleeping mind" will talk me out of it and I can't wake up. Just like ELL_EM, I am not overweight, don't snore, and have vivid dreams. I have gone to doc's for two years asking for help. I am happy, well educated and consider myself "sane"; yet all docs come up with is that I'm "depressed", maybe secretly "on drugs"... no real answers. The reason I visited this site is because last week I went to the emergency roon because I had the worst neck pain you can imagine. It was definately nerve because there was no strenious activity that would cause it and no "pinpoint" where the pain resided. To add to the mystery, I have had blisters on my hairline and face that hurt and come out of nowhere. They are not pimples, and I took an ANA test at my docs with no signs of an auto-immune disorder. I was sent home with no answers and in so much pain I could not get out of bed for two days! No pain or nerve meds were prescribed because they told me it was not a good idea to take pain meds if I was sleeping so much. It has been 5 days; pain is still unbearable and I don't know what to do! MRI is clear, no infections, blood work came back O.K. How could I be in so much pain if nothing is wrong!!! Anyone with any answers please email me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 11, 2008
    • 04:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 15, and for the past couple days I've been sleeping 12 hours at night and end up having a 2-3 hour nap every day. And yet i still feel tired, groggy and weak. My mom says that i am very pale too, and that it might all have to do with my Vitamin D deficiency. I am not sure, but it's driving me crazy. I feel like i could sleep all day. I don't snore, i'm not overweight and i don't have vivid dreams. Should I go to a doctor?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2008
    • 00:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • WOW! You all described exactly how i feel! I've dealt with this all my life and i'm 29. I'm fine if i get at least 9 hours of sleep a night and get up in the same time every morning. But when I have to get up even an hour earlier in the morning then normal.........i am exhausted all day, can't focus, my eyes hurt cause they can't stay open and i'm pale and feel nausauted. I have been told i'm lazy as well, but people don't understand that i can barely move/function in the mornings or when i don't get enough sleep. I did have a sleep study a few months ago, but the results came back normal. From all the research i've done i'm my own, I think that a thyroid or sleep disorder would be the problem, but the results have all been normal. I've been to the doctor only twice in my life about it, and they just suggest a low dose of anxiety/depression meds. This doesn't help, and I know it's not the problem. I've given up, but i'm glad to hear that there are others out there:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 15, 2009
    • 05:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I would have to say that most of you are definately talking about a sleep disorder called narcolopsy. Rem latency should be more than 90mins in a adult male not 5 mins after falling asleep. The best way to find out is a MSLT you will go in for a full night psg and stay till about 4pm the next day completeing 4-5 20 min sleep sessions if rem is present in 3 or more sleep sessions you are positive for narcolepsy. Sorry not the greatest speller. Narcolepsy also causes halusinations and paralisis. Not every narcoleptic falls asleep all the time. It is intrusion of rem sleep in stage one sleep and is very easy to diagnosis. I hope this will help. Narcoleptics also complain about being tired after 10-15 hours of sleep. Sometimes when apnea is present also it makes getting a narco test hard to do. Apnea causes issues because of the arousals not the low 02. The apnea will occur and cause a arousal. I have seen may patients say they sleep great and have super sever apnea.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 5, 2009
    • 03:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• The normal sleep of a person is just only 8hrs.and if you exceed from that time.you'll be more tired then by the time you wake up.so need to do more exercise regularly to become normal.____________________________________Click here to treat sleep apnea in Toronto and CPAP machines in Toronto
    sss.guide 1 Replies
    • February 19, 2009
    • 09:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i'm 16 years old, and every night for about a year or two ive been sleeping 15-19 hours a day. it's CRAZY! and i dont know why!! i was thinking anemia or hypersomnia..but it could be something more serious? idk.
  • try going to a chiropractor for your neck pain. It helps with many things, like even with ear infections and can also help kids stop wetting the bed.
  • Sleep is essential for the restoration of normal bodily functioning. There is a strong belief among several people that that getting sufficient amounts of rest are necessary. Poor sleeping habits can be potential causes of sleeping disorders. Don’t ignore as it can lead to a poor quality of life.
    Steve Harper 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I too have suffered from sleeping for hours and no having the will or engery to wake up.The doctors told me I was depressed, and urge me to that anti depressants. I ask them to do further tests as I wanted more reasons. They found that my iron was at 4.3 which is very low and put me on iron drips for 6 weeks. I did feel more alive but still not fully awake.I stated getting B12 injections and moved on to Nairobian (which is a b complex) and for the first time in my life I felt like a normal human being. I saw the world through a person with energy eyes and it felt great.When i moved to another country and finally got over the jet lag, I still found myself sleeping crazy amounts. The doctors here did more test and have diagnosed me with chronic fatige.I hope this is useful. It may not be what you have but it is options.Let us know on your progress?
  • Hey i have had a simular problem with sleep and have been looking through different website for answers. I visited this website and saw many people with sleep trouble. shortly after reading these message i found that my sleep issues were due to to many vitmins. I am health conscious and was taking vitimin tablets. I found that in almost every vitamin an overdose can cause tierdness feeling week even after hourse of sleep, insomnia and load of other stuff i changed to a lower vitamin supliment thingy and now quite well and instead of 12-14 hours and still feeling tierd i manage 8-10... check your diet maybe
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 6, 2009
    • 11:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well off the top of my head I would say diet has a lot to do with it. Make sure to get plenty of iron as it may because of an iron deficiancy which is very common in people your age. Red meat has lots of iron. Also excersize is important you say you envy the person that gets up at eight and takes a walk well if you do and continue to do it I promise you'll feel a lot better.
    samantha360 3 Replies
    • September 18, 2009
    • 10:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I just found this website and I have found these discussions informative and interesting to find so many other people with similar issues as myself.First off, let me describe my own symptoms:I am 35, just got married 2 years ago and have a 1 year old baby girl which prompted me to get checked out by the Dr. I have had this disorder my whole life but never did anything about it since I was single with no kids; I would just nap whenever I wanted, which was ALOT. I remember when I was 18 and in Marine Corps boot camp (yes, I served a successful 4 years with this disorder somehow, lol), I would get in trouble repeatedly for falling asleep in any classes we had. I would try to stay awake as hard as I could then the next thing I know one of my squad leaders is smacking me in the back of the head!So I did sleep study about 10 months ago and passed with flying colors! I slept for the entire 8 available hours at night, then fell asleep within 3 minutes for each nap they told me to take. I have always had a deep urge to sleep, and once I had a baby and couldn't get that sleep it got even worse with a feeling that I would almost die if I didn't take a nap! It was debilitating for sure. Finally I went to the Dr.I was proscribed Provigil, which is a named brand and took a bit of work to get my insurance to cover it. Even with the coverage it still costs me $60 a month as my share of the payment. But it is SOOO worth it! Life is so much different and better now! The only thing it did was take away the urge to nap during the day. No other side effect that I can tell at all. If I get 8+ hours of sleep at night and take my Provigil in the morning, I will just stay normal all day without that driving need to sleep. I still can take a nap if I choose to (which I LOVE to sleep, so thats good), but I just don't feel that crushing need to nap anymore! If you sleep well at night (or too well, 10+ hours), and you are still sleepy all day even if you take naps, then thats a great indication of hypersomnia, not narcolepsy. Narcoleptic people fall asleep uncontrollably, and it comes on suddenly. Also, naps are refreshing for narcoleptic people and they feel better. Hypersomnia people are always sleepy or gradually get sleepy and then can fall asleep without intent. They also typically will not feel much better after a nap and will be more than willing and able to take another nap shortly after. Hypersomnia is very real, very debilitating, and very different from narcolepsy. I strongly suggest that anyone with these symptoms talk with thier Dr about hypersomnia and the use of Provigil will specifically targets the areas of the brain that cause sleepiness.Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 20, 2009
    • 11:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I just found this website and I have found these discussions informative and interesting to find so many other people with similar issues as myself.First off, let me describe my own symptoms:I am 35, just got married 2 years ago and have a 1 year old baby girl which prompted me to get checked out by the Dr. I have had this disorder my whole life but never did anything about it since I was single with no kids; I would just nap whenever I wanted, which was ALOT. I remember when I was 18 and in Marine Corps boot camp (yes, I served a successful 4 years with this disorder somehow, lol), I would get in trouble repeatedly for falling asleep in any classes we had. I would try to stay awake as hard as I could then the next thing I know one of my squad leaders is smacking me in the back of the head!So I did sleep study about 10 months ago and passed with flying colors! I slept for the entire 8 available hours at night, then fell asleep within 3 minutes for each nap they told me to take. I have always had a deep urge to sleep, and once I had a baby and couldn't get that sleep it got even worse with a feeling that I would almost die if I didn't take a nap! It was debilitating for sure. Finally I went to the Dr.I was proscribed Provigil, which is a named brand and took a bit of work to get my insurance to cover it. Even with the coverage it still costs me $60 a month as my share of the payment. But it is SOOO worth it! Life is so much different and better now! The only thing it did was take away the urge to nap during the day. No other side effect that I can tell at all. If I get 8+ hours of sleep at night and take my Provigil in the morning, I will just stay normal all day without that driving need to sleep. I still can take a nap if I choose to (which I LOVE to sleep, so thats good), but I just don't feel that crushing need to nap anymore! If you sleep well at night (or too well, 10+ hours), and you are still sleepy all day even if you take naps, then thats a great indication of hypersomnia, not narcolepsy. Narcoleptic people fall asleep uncontrollably, and it comes on suddenly. Also, naps are refreshing for narcoleptic people and they feel better. Hypersomnia people are always sleepy or gradually get sleepy and then can fall asleep without intent. They also typically will not feel much better after a nap and will be more than willing and able to take another nap shortly after. Hypersomnia is very real, very debilitating, and very different from narcolepsy. I strongly suggest that anyone with these symptoms talk with thier Dr about hypersomnia and the use of Provigil which will specifically target the areas of the brain that cause sleepiness.Good luck!
    RCWatson 4 Replies
    • September 20, 2009
    • 11:34 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement