Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Hospital Wait Time & Anxiety Diagnosis

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 10 Replies
  • Posted By: Locke_gb7
  • January 2, 2008
  • 03:54 PM

Good day all I have just spent 5 hours waiting last night at the emergency room here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada because one of my symptom got worst which which the shortness of breath and the night time parasthesis, Only to be dismissed as anxiety, I tried reasoning with the doctor but he would not listen to the fact that I choked badly on a chocolate mint 2 weeks ago and that I may have hurt my epiglottis, it also changed my voice yesterday as well as preventing me to take a deep breath. It is even hard to yawn and sneeze or laugh. I have a known stomach.Oesophagus problem that I will be tested for soon but he wouldnt listen to a thing I said.

I wondered if you guys could tell me the following things:

Which State/Province you live in

How long is waiting time for semi urgent cases at the Emergency room

If the doctors there also keep dismissing everything as anxiety without further testing.

Thanks guys!

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• Go to a sleep doc and see if you have sleep apnea or other epiglottal problems. Do you have GERD? The acid might have damaged your esophagus.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • January 3, 2008
    • 00:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Actually you may be right on here because I did get Acid suppressant to avoid damaging the oesophagus. I had no tests yet but they presumed that when I choked on liquified after 8 mint chocolate on december 11th I choked so bad that I almost passed out. I've had many problems since. The breath thing seems to be in the epiglottis area. seems a bit better now.I did have another episode of limbs falling alseep last night walked around for 10 minutes and went back to sleep this time.Anyways thanks a lot for your advice.PS: The reason why I did'nt have tests yet since december 11th is that here in Quebec/Canada you cannot get any type of non urgent test in less than 1 to 2 months.... free healthcare yes but u get whats you pay for ill tell you that
    Locke_gb7 22 Replies
    • January 3, 2008
    • 01:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • As an emergency medicine doc, I gotta know: What sort of chocolate mint was it?
    sharpsteinnegative 8 Replies
    • January 3, 2008
    • 06:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It was the after 8 brand of chocolateIts a square chocolate with mint cream in the center
    Locke_gb7 22 Replies
    • January 3, 2008
    • 07:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I would suspect a 5-8 hour wait if I went to our local ER, which is a half hour drive away in Albuquerque, NM. I think it unfortuate that some docs dismiss problems too easily and just put down anxiety...you are then plagued with this on your record:( . What meds are you currently taking? DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 3, 2008
    • 07:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Only Advair for asthmaand Ranitidine to lower my stomac acid because one doctor suspected I may have slighly torn my oesophagus coughing.Also interesting news from my stomac problems shallow breathing, and overall parasthesias. I did go to a chiropractor yesterday and had my spine X-Rayed from neck to hip.....And Behold! Not anxiety! even if one does not believe in chriopractice non the less my hip is crooked on one side my lower spin is alighly curved, upper spine around my lungs is badly bent and has some deterioration which she said could only result from an good impact accident and my necl spine is bent forward and my head is always forward by about 25% instead of 0So as I said if any of you out there have symptoms and are dismissed as anxiety, look for alternative ways of getting a diagnosis.But still it may take some time for me to get better even with chiropractic help my spine is like a zigzag and It may take a lot of care to fix.
    Locke_gb7 22 Replies
    • January 3, 2008
    • 07:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • As an emergency medicine physician I gotta know: does it zig-zag to the left or the right?
    sharpsteinnegative 8 Replies
    • January 3, 2008
    • 08:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • well mondya i will get photo copies of the xrays i cant post the link to the images hard to tell the curve in my neck is striaght a nd my head is 25% forwars in the middle of my back if we look from the back it curves to the right and to the left in the lower back
    Locke_gb7 22 Replies
    • January 3, 2008
    • 09:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Please consider acupuncture I really think it would be helpful. Acupuncture can help promote healing at the tissues and joints as well as gently get the spine back in alignment. Please try it! Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 3, 2008
    • 11:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes I will definitly look into it for sure
    Locke_gb7 22 Replies
    • January 4, 2008
    • 02:18 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement