Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Need help getting a doctor to hear my concerns about Cushings

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: tengrits
  • December 26, 2007
  • 02:04 AM

I have always been very thin and everyone in my familly is very thin, but 14 years ago I gained 120 pounds in less than 1 year. I have since had a terrible time trying to get a diagnosis for myself other than obesity.
I have dieted, kept a diet diary, excersized to exaustion, and have seen over ten different doctors, who have put me through a wringer of test, but I continue to gain weight, and my list of symptoms is multiplying, but I can't get a doctor to refer me to a specialist other than a dietitian, whom says I am under nurished.
My symptoms, as of now are:

Abnormal facial and body hair growth
Rounded fatty face
extremely oily skin
Purple stretch marks on arms legs and abdomen
fatty hump on the back of the neck
Dark under eye circles
unexplained bruises
Thin delicate skin
Weak bones and muscles
Amenhorrhea, absence of menstration
localized weight gain to the abdominal area
mood swings
innability to lose weight
thinning hair
problems sleeping and insomnia
high blood pressure

I have been tested for thyroid functions and polysistic ovaries, and they were both negative, but I can't stand to think that something is wrong.
I now have no insurance, but the symptoms just seem to compile. I feel hopeless to get a doctor to listen to me without him thinking this is an overeatting issue, but for the last 14 years I have eaten a 1200 calorie diet and I am pretty active, as I run my own bussiness.
I took prednisone for asthma, and for fertility issues for years. Does anyone have any answers?

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • What does your gynecologist say? They should be pretty familiar with PCOS and false/negative lab results. Sound like testosterone or androgen are causing some of the symptoms. Cushings is also a good guess. Can you get in to see an endocrinologist? Take old pictures of yourself to the doc. Dated last year. You aren't on cortisone any more are you?
    rad-skw 1605 Replies
    • December 27, 2007
    • 01:26 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Cant you change doctors?sorry-im not aware of how it is in America but in Australia you can just keep going to a different doctor until you find one that listens.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • December 28, 2007
    • 03:36 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.