Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

help.. undiagnosed rash

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 15 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 18, 2007
  • 02:45 AM

I have had a rash for about a year and a half. I don't know how exactly it came about, thought i had got bitten by something?
Been to a few doctors which have told me it is heat rash, and that it will go away, it hasn't gone away.

I get this rash usually when I'm exercising, startled, worried etc (so when my blood pressure or heart rate rises).
The rash usually goes away after 20mins - 1hr depending on the conditions and how bad the rash is.

The weird thing is that i wont get the rash when I'm playing basketball in the stadium, but i will outside. I sweat, and get the rash if i sweat or not. It is better then it was a year ago. I drink fluids and i am fit.
I get the rash in when i go swimming as well, and on my hands, wrists when its cold.

The rash is raised lumps, and around it goes red. It is irritating and itchy. I get it all over my body, arms, abdomin, legs, groin. It started going up to my face and neck but it isn't anymore.

Its summer and i want to swim without getting the rash, i want to exercise without getting the rash and want to enjoy myself..

I am thinking of going to the doctor again for get recommended to a dermatologist? Naturopath?

what are your thoughts on what it is and what i should do?

thankyou, jamie

Reply Flag this Discussion

15 Replies:

• help anyone?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2007
    • 00:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • What is exercise-induced urticaria? Exercise-induced urticaria is a condition that causes hives and other allergic symptoms. It can occur during or after exercise. Hives or "welts" are usually raised, flat bumps on the skin that are more red around the edge than in the middle. Hives may also look like red spots, blotches or blisters. They can occur on any part of the body.What does it mean if I get hives when I exercise? Physical activity can cause allergic symptoms in some people. Symptoms may include:Hives (large or small)Itching of the skinFlushing (redness) of the skinDifficulty breathing or a choking feelingStomach crampingHeadacheSwelling of the face, tongue or handsWhat should I do if I get hives during exercise?You should stop exercising as soon as you notice the hives. If the hives don't go away in 5 to 10 minutes, or if you have other symptoms, call your doctor right away.Return to topCan exercise-induced urticaria be life-threatening? In severe cases, symptoms may be life-threatening, but this is very rare. If you ever have severe symptoms, your doctor may prescribe a medicine called epinephrine for you. You inject this medication as soon as symptoms start. It stops the symptoms before they become life-threatening.Return to topDo I have to give up exercise?You probably don't have to quit exercising. Most symptoms can be controlled by taking the medicine your doctor prescribes and by slowing down or stopping your exercise as soon as symptoms start. You should always exercise with a partner who knows about your condition.In some people, eating certain foods before exercise may make allergic symptoms more likely to occur. Keep track of what you eat before exercising for a few weeks. If you notice a pattern to your symptoms that seems related to a certain food, stop eating it for a while and see if the hives stop. Also, your doctor may tell you not to exercise for 4 to 6 hours after you eat. Return to topWhat treatment is available? Medicines, such as certain antihistamines, can prevent symptoms in some cases. Your doctor can help you identify things that trigger your allergic reaction and prescribe medicine, if necessary. For some people, it may be necessary to avoid certain types of exercise.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • December 20, 2007
    • 00:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • sounds like a bit of heat rash....a naturopath might be able to help but you may just need to use over the counter products like Gold Bond powder to help it...it could stem from your diet so you might want to get allergy food tested...
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • December 20, 2007
    • 06:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • thankyou rad-skw and monsterlove. i think this is what i have, or maybe cholinergic urticaria?but i also get this when i am cold, like my hands/forearm started getting it last nite because it was cold. Also my skin will go llike, redish/orangish in the cold. so should i go see a naturopath about this? is it possibly because of my diet? i know when i played basketball after school on mondays straight after school i wouldnt get the rash (maybe a few red dots). I hadnt eaten since 1 and played at 4 or 5. but when i played wednesday and got the chance for a pregame meal i would eat 1 and 1/2 to 2 hrs before i would get the rash (but still not that bad)It usually gets worse when im not exercising, so if im playing then we have a timeout and i rest for a bit the rash usually comes through..so is naturopath the best bet? because i want this fixed or helped if i can asap. thankyou :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 25, 2007
    • 10:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • *bump* anyone?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 2, 2008
    • 00:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • *bump again*...?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2008
    • 00:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you tried Zyrtec. I too have had rashes over the year and Zyrtec is a miracle drug for me.
    Bristol 6 Replies
    • January 7, 2008
    • 04:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Try the antihistamines.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • January 9, 2008
    • 01:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • a homeopath or naturopath who practices homeopathy..
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • January 10, 2008
    • 07:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • A $5 dollar bottle of loratadine/claritin could start to help you right away. If it doesn't work Zyrtec might be needed.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • January 11, 2008
    • 00:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had this rash problem for 2 years, i am thinking it started when i started to eat more because i was exercising more, i started eating 6 or 7 weetbix for breakfast nearly everyday. Maybe my body just couldnt handle it.i have tried antihistamines, but they dont work. i think i have exercise-induced urticaria with the underlying cause being wheat allergy. My friend had nearly the same problem as me and saw a naturopath and they said he was allergic to wheat, put him on a wheat free diet and he has been fine since then. So im going to see a naturopath soon and hopefully they can help me.thankyou all for your help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 13, 2008
    • 01:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• ok after trying to get into the closest naturopathic clinic (which is 40minutes away), they said they dont have a naturopath there anymore. They reccomended a chinese medicine lady, i went there the other day, she asked me heaps of questions. Then did accupuncture and that was fine. Then prescribed some "skin-detoxing pills" (Pifubing Xueduwan). Dosage: 20 a day, 10 at a time. Seems a little high but she said it is normal in chinese medicine.But after talking to a friend who had the same problem as me, and he went on a wheat free diet im pretty sure my rash is related to wheat. what do you all reckon?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2008
    • 00:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • nope, that doesnt sound like what i have.ive cut back on wheat for the past week, just been a couple sandwiches here and there.taking the pills prescribed by the chinese medicine lady and i am eating healthy.Seems to be helping a bit i think. I go back to see the lady tomorrow.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 20, 2008
    • 11:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • ok so after going to the chinese medicine lady for a month, taking heaps of pills and doing accupuncture, im deciding to stop. it was costing $55 a visit and $15 for pills. nearly each week. when i wasnt really getting much better, in the last week i practically went back to normal wheat intake and the rash was severe. i am still sure its a wheat allergy, if not some kind of underlying allergy. im going to try and find a naturopath and try and get a better answer from them. instead of taking heaps of pills and doing accupuncture and paying heaps of money for it when it wasnt helping much. any thoughts?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hey again.went to the naturopath. didnt say what i thought.i have been prone to tonsilitis over the last 3 - 4 years. and have had a lot of antibiotics. so she said that this has disrupted my digestion systems usual balance. so i have some pills with good bacteria and stuff in them, aswell as some homeopathy treatment for hay fever. she said it could take a few months but was sure it was the problem. we then bumped into my mums friend who told us about her friend that had rashes because of lots of antibiotics.im going back in a month. hoping to see some improvement, aswell as that she talked about blood type specific diets and how different blood types can tolerate and cant tolerate different foods. so im going to try and keep my diet to the foods i can tolerate and hope that helps aswell. also going to ask to be tested for gluten intolerence next visit i think.any feedback?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement