Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Fustrated-long post

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 7, 2006
  • 07:45 PM

I have been having a problem with panic attacks for about 7 years now they started with chest pain, arm pain , and being scared I was going to die . About 2 years ago I went to a 6 week class on how to take back your life from anxiety, it worked really well and I was doing great. About 6 months ago I started getting chest pain, arm pain and feeling short of breath. I went to my dr. who listened to my chest and put me back on Paxil. I didn't want to take the meds, because withdrawl is very bad and I didn't think I was having a panic attack. Starting last week I went to the doctor because my jaw has been so stiff she said I had an ear infection and a lot of fluid in my ears and gave me ear drops. I told her about the chest pain and arm pain and she listened to me and said it was okay. Over the past 6 months I have seen about 5 doctors who all say that with my age and no heart problems that my symptoms are anxiety. I am not anxious until the pain starts and then it scares me. I tried to make an appointment with a cardiologist but my insurance will not cover it b/c I am too young and don't have anything warranting a visit.I also have been to the ER this time last year with these symptoms minus the jaw stiffness and got a heart cath?(sp) which came back fine. I feel like if I go to the doctors I am a big joke. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this matter.
My info:
I am 23 years old, white female. I do not to drugs, I drink socially maybe once a month. I also do not have any family history of heart disease or heart attack.
Thank you for your time.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• Hi therebelieve me i understand your frustration. I also get chast pain, numb arms, heart palpitations etc. and have been told i suffer with panic attacks! I have been taken to casualty and had everything checked and all came back fine, i don't think anything is wrong mentally and wonder whether doctors are misdiagnosing, i too feel like a fool every time i go to the doctors but am now seeing a psychotherapist to see if there are any underlying subconscious issues going on- maybe your doctor could refer you too? have you had alot of stress over the yrs? even is you think it didn't affect you at the time? believe me any avenue is worth trying to get rid of these!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2006
    • 08:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • sorry forgot to mention that i am 24yr old white female. been suffering for 3 yrs, had a 24hr heart monitor, ECG etc. and everything came back fine! no thyroid problem either-you been checked?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2006
    • 08:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • yes I got checked and had the holter monitor as well. Thanks for replying, its nice to know that someone understands. I'm going to talk to my Dr. about referring me to a therapist. And yes I do have a lot of stress, I just don't show it like other ppl, I tend to keep it all in. If you ever want to chat my email is btflnvy@aol.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 9, 2006
    • 02:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • wow, have you had a chest x-ray? Any environmental stuff around that could be causing allergic or asmatic reactions. These kinds of things can develope. And we live in a rural area where they spray with defoliants, similar i'm told to agent orange. The farmers are allowed to burn the fields and we breathe the orange smoke in. Many complain of burning eyes, throats and upper respiratory problems and aggrivated alergies and asthma. What kind of work do you do? You could be pulling abdominal and chest muscles, which causes muscle spasms, pain, and difficulty breathing I know this from experience use to lift heavy produce, etc in a grocery store. We're not the crazy ones. And if you're a woman, you're tagged!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 13, 2006
    • 06:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You aren't alone and I totally understand. My husband was diagnosed with panic attacks around fifteen years ago. He's on medication which helps with the majority of his symptoms. But we've gone to the emergency several times because he's had chest pains and shortness of breath ... all signs of heart problems.It crushes him when they say it's just anxiety ... not that he wants to have heart disease, but it's frustrating to be told it's all in your head. The worst part is that there won't be any "trigger" ... we'll be watching tv or having dinner ... nothing stressful ... when he'll have an "attack."It's awful ... and you have my sympathy. They're going to adjust his meds ... so I hope it will help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 13, 2006
    • 06:48 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement