Discussions By Condition: Sexual conditions

How to check your school bathroom for syphilis

Posted In: Sexual conditions 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 5, 2006
  • 01:46 PM

I am a high school student and I was wondering how could I check my school bathrooms for syphilis. Like does any body know the steps to finding this infomation...

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• Syphilis can't be contracted by toilet seats, door knobs, swimming pools, hot and bath tubs, etcIt is spread by sexual contact, sometimes direct contact and could be passed from a mother to a child. So, you don't have to checked your school bathroom at all.
    KnowSUMthings 153 Replies
    • November 17, 2006
    • 02:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Syphillis is highly contagious and spread through sexual intercourse, oral and anal sex. It can be spread by prolonged kissing of someone who has a "chanchre" (syphillitic sore) on their lip.The below copied from WebMd.Early or primary syphilis. People with primary syphilis will develop one or more chancre sores. The sores resemble large round bug bites and are often hard and painless. They occur on the genitals or in or around the mouth somewhere between 10-90 days (average 3 weeks) after exposure. Even without treatment they heal without a scar within 6 weeks. The secondary stage may last 1-3 months and begins within 6 weeks to 6 months after exposure. People with secondary syphilis experience a rosy "copper penny" rash typically on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. They may also experience moist warts in the groin, white patches on the inside of the mouth, swollen lymph glands, fever, and weight loss. Like primary syphilis, secondary syphilis will resolve without treatment. Latent syphilis. This is where the infection lies dormant (inactive) without causing symptoms. Tertiary syphilis. If the infection isn't treated, it may then progress to a stage characterized by severe problems with the heart, brain, and nerves that can result in paralysis, blindness, dementia, deafness, impotence and even death if it's not treated. How Is Syphilis Diagnosed? Syphilis can be easily diagnosed with a quick and inexpensive blood test given at your doctor's office or at a public health clinic. If you have a chancre, your doctor will take a swab or scraping of the sore. It will then be sent to a lab to analyze under a microscope for the characteristic bacteria. How Is Syphilis Treated? If you've been infected for less than a year, a single dose of penicillin is usually enough to destroy the infection. For those allergic to penicillin, tetracycline or doxycycline can be given instead. If you are in a later stage of disease, more doses will be needed. People who are being treated for syphilis must abstain from sexual contact until the infection is completely gone. Sexual partners of people with syphilis should be tested and, if necessary, treated. What Happens If I Don't Get Treated? If syphilis is left untreated, it can cause serious and permanent problems such as dementia, blindness or death. How Does Syphilis Affect a Pregnant Woman and Her Baby? Depending on how long a pregnant woman has been infected, she has a good chance of having a stillbirth (birth of an infant who has died prior to delivery) or of giving birth to a baby who dies shortly after birth. If not treated immediately, an infected baby may be born without symptoms but could develop them within a few weeks. These signs and symptoms can be very serious. Untreated babies may become developmentally delayed, have seizures or die. How Can I Prevent Infection? To reduce your risk of infection: Avoid intimate contact with a person you know is infected If you do not know if a sexual partner is infected, use a condom in every sexual encounter What Is the Outlook for People With Syphilis? Syphilis is a curable disease with prompt diagnosis and treatment. However, if treated too late, there may be permanent damage to the heart and brain even after the infection is destroyed.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2006
    • 03:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a high school student and I was wondering how could I check my school bathrooms for syphilis. Like does any body know the steps to finding this infomation...Syphilis is not transmitted by fomites (i.e. toilet seats). It is only transmitted by direct contact with an active, infectious lesion.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement